CCW Leaking from seal (help)

Cody M

Established Member
Hello, so one of my new CCW wheels is leaking from the ARP bolts. So i'm going to reseal the wheel myself instead of sending it back. Two questions, what silicone sealant should I use, and second, can i just reseal the barrel without taking the bolts out or do they need to come out so the sealant can seep down further? Thanks in advance!

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Hello, so one of my new CCW wheels is leaking from the ARP bolts. So i'm going to reseal the wheel myself instead of sending it back. Two questions, what silicone sealant should I use, and second, can i just reseal the barrel without taking the bolts out or do they need to come out so the sealant can seep down further? Thanks in advance!
I have no experience with CCW wheels but the 2 and 3 piece wheels I have seen use an O ring to seal not RTV

1FastFord

Established Member
mine leaked as well, twice. Was not happy but they made me whole in the end. Hopefully no issues this year.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Leaks have always been an issue with multi piece wheels. They don’t all leak but the potential is there

triple-s

Established Member
One of Mine have been leaking since new. They told me to send them back. But I was going have to take off the tire then ship it plus have my car suck on the jack for 2- 3 weeks so I just live with it.

Cody M

Established Member
One of Mine have been leaking since new. They told me to send them back. But I was going have to take off the tire then ship it plus have my car suck on the jack for 2- 3 weeks so I just live with it.
Yeah I don’t want to wait either, videos I watched it seems very straight forward to re seal it. You’d think for $5,000 the wheels would be perfect

1FastFord

Established Member
the first time I had the tire removed, it then happened again and they had me ship the entire wheel back and tire with provided box. It was good after that but that was end of season. Hopefully its still good when I put them on again.

Cody M

Established Member
the first time I had the tire removed, it then happened again and they had me ship the entire wheel back and tire with provided box. It was good after that but that was end of season. Hopefully its still good when I put them on again.
What was the turn around time to get it back?

1FastFord

Established Member
about 5 weeks. The worst part is that by the time it was good, summer and most of fall was over so I didn't have them on long

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I keep an extra set of wheel (18 in reps) on hand at all times now because of this problem. The last time I had a leak it was at the valve stem, so it was an easy fix.

I had the same issue with my TF chicanes back in the day.

efnfast

Established Member
I hate multi-piece wheels ... such a pain because of potential for leaks.

Assuming it's sealed using silicone and not an o-ring gasket, you want to use Dow Corning 832.

Split the wheel apart. Thoroughly clean the mating surface of all old silicone. Bolt the wheel back together loosely. Run a bead around the seam; smooth it out with your finger; let it dry for 1-2hrs, then tighten the wheel bolts.

Edit: And only use Dow Corning 832. Everything else is garbage for rim sealing.

Cody M

Established Member
I hate multi-piece wheels ... such a pain because of potential for leaks.

Assuming it's sealed using silicone and not an o-ring gasket, you want to use Dow Corning 832.

Split the wheel apart. Thoroughly clean the mating surface of all old silicone. Bolt the wheel back together loosely. Run a bead around the seam; smooth it out with your finger; let it dry for 1-2hrs, then tighten the wheel bolts.

Edit: And only use Dow Corning 832. Everything else is garbage for rim sealing.
Yes I bought the Dow thankfully. Finally got all the old silicone off, I had to use a wire brush on a gun, other wise that crap was almost impossible to get off. Cleaned everything, put wheel back together hand tight, going to seal now then torque after, thanks for the input!

Attachments

• IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 56

Cody M

Established Member
So I let it cure for 3 days, got it mounted today and it’s leaking behind the bolts again. F This wheel, just going to send it back to CCW. I can’t understand how airs getting passed a brand new seal along with the loctite nuts torqued to 32lbs

Users who are viewing this thread