Centrifugal 96-98 vs. 03 Terminator

97 horse snake

Established Member
what do you think the outcome would be? a regular 96-98 cobra with a centrifugal type s/c pushing like 6-8lbs of boost and maybe some gears vs. a stock 03 cobra with their roots type s/c or maybe one with a blower pulley in both 1/4 mile racing and highway racing?

ALLNTRL

Established Member
If your only pushing 6-8 psi. and you run into an 03' that has a pulley, CAI, exhaust, and a chip, you'll get your ass handed to you!

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by 97 horse snake
very true, but i think you might have read my question wrong.
Ok sorry, but I don't think your going to see many 03's with "JUST" a pulley. :rollseyes

Peter

Established Member
97 horse snake- I think with the mods you
mentioned it would come down to the
driver. A friend of mine is coming to the area
with his 03, he has a pulley,chip and LT's, I
plan to bring his ego down a couple of pegs!
Pete

97 horse snake

Established Member
Originally posted by ALLNTRL
Ok sorry, but I don't think your going to see many 03's with "JUST" a pulley. :rollseyes

yeah, i know, but i've seen what an 03 can do with just a pulley and wanted to know where our cars would stand at that point. i reread what i wrote in my earlier post and it sounded a little condescending (sp?). my bad. didn't mean it like that.

97 horse snake

Established Member
Originally posted by Peter
97 horse snake- I think with the mods you
mentioned it would come down to the
driver. A friend of mine is coming to the area
with his 03, he has a pulley,chip and LT's, I
plan to bring his ego down a couple of pegs!
Pete

what all do you have done to your car?

Peter

Established Member
97 horse snake-

Vortech S-trim(stock pulley)
Andersen Power pipe(10lbs boost)
Long Tubes-Mac cat back
off-road h-pipe
Pro-m 80
42 lb injectors
Msd-4
SHM chip

473 rwhp 409 rwtq

soon adding procharger intercooler and
accufab single blade TB.

Peter

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
And take note that the sn-95 Cobra's are lighter....A factor that's being overlooked by a lot of the new edge and 03 owners...We've had this debate here in town for a while also,but the owners of the 03's are takin it easy on there rides right now...as to not mess them up...

Last edited:

97 horse snake

Established Member
how much lighter are our cars? i don't think it's by much. how much better is a centrifugal s/c on the highway than a roots type?

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Our cars may be a few hundred lbs. lighter than an '03 BUT, look at the torque that they are making compared to a centrifugal SC'ed 96-98 car. ALL the '03's are making 500-600 RWTQ if they have the basic bolt-on's and full exhaust. It's that RWTQ that is going to move the weight of that '03 and I would think from a 60-70 mph roll that the extra RWTQ would KILL the centrifugal SC car. I have seen several 96-98 Centrifugal SC'ed Cobras even in the 550 RWHP range and NONE of them are even close to 500 RWTQ, Why :shrug: I don't know, but I know that the head and cam changes Ford made to the '03's SOLVED that problem! Just something to think about boys. ;-)

My $.02

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
The reason is that a positive displacement supercharger is not dependent on rpm. The centrifugal is. Centrifigals are characterized to make more peak, hp and less tq than a similar setup with a "roots" type. The 03's tq gets it moving. There are ways to get the extra tq out of a centrifugal supercharged motor. An experienced tuner can pulley the tq curveto a nice broad flat one as opposed to the ramping peak normally associated, also using a smaller blower i.e. a novi 1K to a novi2k, or adding an intercooler to the novi2k would give a nice broad tq curve, also fuel and ignition play a role. Stroking or boring a 4.6 out to 300+cid also would give you that tq. The easier way to do it is to throw the gears (that you likely already have) in there. 4.10 and a centrifigal, is an equal of an 03'. 1/4mile wise a similarly modded centifigal will burn a 'roots' type -if you need proof~ look at what all the racers use. From a roll that tq is helpful in moving the car perhaps giving it a jump at first, however a properly geared and driven centrifgal, should have no problem overcoming that disadvantage due to its superior high rpm breathing. Turbos are deadly from rolls because turbos combine high rpm power (like a centrifugal) with the awesome midrange tq of a "roots'. With a good tune and the right "accessories" you'd run with (or beat) the 03's. You have to think that most 96-98's with centrifugals even with a conservative tune are pushing 400+ to the wheels. Stock 03's are in 360-380 range. good luck

97 horse snake

Established Member
Originally posted by E. Green Cobra
The reason is that a positive displacement supercharger is not dependent on rpm. The centrifugal is. Centrifigals are characterized to make more peak, hp and less tq than a similar setup with a "roots" type. The 03's tq gets it moving. There are ways to get the extra tq out of a centrifugal supercharged motor. An experienced tuner can pulley the tq curveto a nice broad flat one as opposed to the ramping peak normally associated, also using a smaller blower i.e. a novi 1K to a novi2k, or adding an intercooler to the novi2k would give a nice broad tq curve, also fuel and ignition play a role. Stroking or boring a 4.6 out to 300+cid also would give you that tq. The easier way to do it is to throw the gears (that you likely already have) in there. 4.10 and a centrifigal, is an equal of an 03'. 1/4mile wise a similarly modded centifigal will burn a 'roots' type -if you need proof~ look at what all the racers use. From a roll that tq is helpful in moving the car perhaps giving it a jump at first, however a properly geared and driven centrifgal, should have no problem overcoming that disadvantage due to its superior high rpm breathing. Turbos are deadly from rolls because turbos combine high rpm power (like a centrifugal) with the awesome midrange tq of a "roots'. With a good tune and the right "accessories" you'd run with (or beat) the 03's. You have to think that most 96-98's with centrifugals even with a conservative tune are pushing 400+ to the wheels. Stock 03's are in 360-380 range. good luck

cool, that makes me feel better. i was concidering not even modding my cobra anymore and just saving for something bigger in the future, because i was getting discouraged about how much money we would have to put into our cars to even get to where the 03 is stock. i was thinking that it would take a hell of a lot more than that. thanks for the reply's all.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Well theres always something better down the line. To tell ya the truth if ya just wanted to beat up on a few 03's theres a few easier(and cheaper) ways.
option#
1. would be to spray it-cost ya around a grande depending on what ya get.
2. option 2 would be to do a few exhaust,headers to tailpipes,a chip,a cai and (4.30 or 4.56)gears and if ya want maybe a bigger massair or a t-body. With some drag radials and some practice you'll run with 03's. Those mods should give ya in the neighborhood of 300+rwhp. Probably for less than 3grande. With practice ya can break into the 11's. Thats a popular setup with the '99's.

Peter

Established Member
E. Green Cobra-

It is true nitrous will give you a bigger torque
increase, another 96 cobra owner I know runs a 150
nitrous(dry kit). He pulled 450HP 465 TQ.I ran him 2
times once fom a stand, pulled by 2 cars on him by
third, the other run from 2nd gear(about 30mph),got him
by more than 2 cars. I run 473rwhp 409 rwtq.Hp is
the key number! A great way to multiply tq is by going
with bigger gears.
Pete

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
hmm you would think from a dig, he would have you-considering most nitrous cars I've seen leave pretty hard in '60 ft. But as you said with gears, and that centrifigal-as soon as you hit 4400 its over.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
Originally posted by ALLNTRL
Our cars may be a few hundred lbs. lighter than an '03 BUT, look at the torque that they are making compared to a centrifugal SC'ed 96-98 car. ALL the '03's are making 500-600 RWTQ if they have the basic bolt-on's and full exhaust. It's that RWTQ that is going to move the weight of that '03 and I would think from a 60-70 mph roll that the extra RWTQ would KILL the centrifugal SC car. I have seen several 96-98 Centrifugal SC'ed Cobras even in the 550 RWHP range and NONE of them are even close to 500 RWTQ, Why :shrug: I don't know, but I know that the head and cam changes Ford made to the '03's SOLVED that problem! Just something to think about boys. ;-)

My $.02
I've got 572 at the wheels with 471 rwtq. I would say that is close enough.

97 horse snake

Established Member
cool, i'm really liking where all of this is going. do centrifugals really not kick in til 4400 rpm? are they at full boost by then?

97 horse snake

Established Member
Originally posted by kcobra
I've got 572 at the wheels with 471 rwtq. I would say that is close enough.

kcobra,
what does your setup consist of? those are some nice numbers.
i'd actually be fine with a setup somewhat like peter's. those are nice numbers concidering it's basically just a s/c and exaust. i'm liking my car more and more with every reply. thanks guys. :beer:

Peter

Established Member
97 horse snake- I could be wrong but I believe
Kcobra uses a SHM block and intercooler, so he is
safe with those numbers. I am using a stock
block and internals, that is why I tuned to
a 10:1 a/f ratio and use MSD-4 to pull out some
timing over 4000. I dynoed at 467 rwhp last week.
These centrifugal blowers really dont get crackin till
after 4000RPM. It's great for me because driving around
town it's real tame but when you open her up you can
you can feel that boost!

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread