ceramic coat/painting stock manifolds?

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
I want to do something about the rusting of the stock manifolds. I am getting a "new" set with my crate engine and the techs said they would let me pick them up for a day or so. I was told you can ceramic coat them(to much heat for regular powdercoating), or I could order this http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=20026

I dont want aftermarket pipes at this point, my car is loud enough

Any thoughts?

jason

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would personally go with the Griots Garage paint. He's got great items (no junk) and this should be the less expensive route. Are you going to have them sandblasted first? I see that Griots recommends it but they also say it isn't absolutely necessary.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
He could go with shortie headers but the bang for the buck won't be there as with mid-lengths or long tubes. His idea about coating the stock headers isn't bad at all IMO. :)

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Paint and ceramic coating are two very different things. The paint, although it may be high-temp, will not provide any of the thermal insulation properties that a ceramic coating does.

I can give you a quote for Jet-Hot coating your manifolds. Just call me and we can discuss it.

-Nino

Ninosport.com

moonltgold

After the extrude hone you could send them to JetHot and they would do it for probably around $100 or so. However, the FMS shorties can be had for not much more, and even their stainless (not ceramic) versions will offer more heat protection than stock manifolds.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Nino
Nino is correct. I meant to say "paint", nor "coat". Coating is indeed the best way to go, albeit more expensive and time consuming.

Jason, if you want a quick and easy solution and aren't necessarily looking for thermal protection then painting is your best choice. If you want thermal protection, too, and are willing to send your manifolds out for coating, Jet-Hot coating is a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread