Ceramic coatings

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
What's the top coating these days?

I have pros around me certified in everything I can think of.

Gyeon
Modesta
Ceramic Pro
Opti-coat
Gtechniq
CQuartz
Kenzo

I want slick, glossy, ease of cleaning, ease of blow drying.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I went with Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra topped with EXO a little over five years ago. I remain happy with the result, which speaks for itself. (These pics are from car shows over the past year or so.)
20210814_100203.jpg

20220813_104840.jpg

20221008_093452.jpg

5.0Black

Established Member
Another one for Gtechniq CSU + EXO. My RS3 has been coated in CSU (no exo) for 5.5 years now and it is still going strong. I do recommend EXO as EXO really gives a wet glossy finish to the body work. In addition to looking glossy, EXO enhances the repellency beyond what a regular ceramic coating can do on its own. If going Gtechniq make sure the shop is using EXOv5. It is a better coating than its predecessor (EXOv4) and gets a 115 degree water contact angle.

I use a master blaster 8hp unit for bulk drying and then follow up with a paint safe towel for fine water. Cleaning is quick and even when my Gtechniq coated cars are dirty they never really look all that dirty. Some photos below of my RS3 (CSU only) and Mustang (CSL+EXO). CSL is a lesser coating than CSU, but shows the gloss EXO gives.

Untitled by Sean C, on Flickr
Untitled by Sean C, on Flickr
by Sean C, on Flickr
by Sean C, on Flickr

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Most of them are very similar in properties. Hydrophobic, self cleaning, ease of maintenance. A lot is marketing. The majority of the 'look' is from the prep prior to the coating application.

Find a few reputable shops in your area, visit them, ask questions, see their work and then make your decision.

You will not regret it! Coatings are great when properly maintained.

Keep us posted!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great post, Scott. I was fortunate having a close friend who has coated my present and past two vehicles. He's an awesome detailer. I've never regretted having my vehicles coated. It's superior to old school waxing as far as durability and longevity. I have to admit that it doesn't hurt that none of those three vehicles ever saw rain and were/are always garaged.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I DIY Gyeon on all my stuff. Goes on easy, but it is a bit tedious. Works and lasts as advertised. It's good stuff.

Update, I just put on Gyeon Pure EVO on my BMW and Gyeon Mohs EVO on my Jeep. The EVO formulas are very easy and faster application than wax.

Last edited:

Pribilof

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. I have Xpel Stealth with Gyeon Matte on the Z06 and love it. This is going to be for the '69 Mach 1. I might do PPF on it, too, which drastically reduces the number of shops qualified. I'm finding that most of the even well regarded shops out here don't do custom PPF and only do patterns.

Saw this video last night and thought it was interesting. A bunch of manufacturers I've never heard of.

Pribilof

Established Member
Found a great shop. They just did someone's Porsche 959! Holy Smokes!

They measured 20 mils of clear coat on the Mach 1. LOL. Going with a 2 stage correction plus Crystal Serum Ultra.

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
Mils or Microns? That's a 'lot' of paint/clear/thickness. Has it been repainted?

And, glad you found a place, keep us posted!

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I had my daily driver coated with Ceramic Pro.

142612.jpg

093236.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your G70 is looking purty with that ceramic treatment, Tony. Did your dealer do it or did you find a local detailer?

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
OK, that's awesome, they really laid the clear on/multiple coats. That's great cuz you've got paint/clear for dayzzzzzz!!!

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Your G70 is looking purty with that ceramic treatment, Tony. Did your dealer do it or did you find a local detailer?
Thanks brother.
There is a detail shop that works with the dealership.

Morgan

Established Member
Found a great shop. They just did someone's Porsche 959! Holy Smokes!

They measured 20 mils of clear coat on the Mach 1. LOL. Going with a 2 stage correction plus Crystal Serum Ultra.

Looking forward to the after pictures- should look like freshly sprayed wet paint.

Users who are viewing this thread