Chainsaws

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
I want to buy my husband a chainsaw for Christmas and I am researching the best type for us. We don't need a monster one, just one to cut up large branches that fall across the driveway, things like that.

I came across a Greenworks Lithium-Ion chainsaw that seems pretty cool and is not near as messy as a gas one. Do any of you use this type?

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Gas all the way.

Brand and size depends on how much you want to spend and what type of cutting he will be doing?

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I use a Toro electric chainsaw for that type of work. It's worked well (don't forget the oil) for that type of work. It's a corded model though, don't know about cordless. I haven't had to replace the blade or have it sharpened yet so I don't know about cost or if its a pain in the rump.

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
Gas all the way.

Brand and size depends on how much you want to spend and what type of cutting he will be doing?

I would like to keep it under $200 because there is other stuff I want to get him. Around here it would be cutting up/trimming small trees, large branches and maybe some firewood. Eucalyptus trees are a pita. :rollseyes

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
I use a Toro electric chainsaw for that type of work. It's worked well (don't forget the oil) for that type of work. It's a corded model though, don't know about cordless. I haven't had to replace the blade or have it sharpened yet so I don't know about cost or if its a pain in the rump.

We are on 42 acres here so a corded one won't work. That's why I was looking at the battery one. Plus it is self-oiling...as long as you remember to make sure the oil level stays up in the chamber lol. It was be nice to not have to mess with gas cans, too.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I would like to keep it under $200 because there is other stuff I want to get him. Around here it would be cutting up/trimming small trees, large branches and maybe some firewood. Eucalyptus trees are a pita. :rollseyes

I would say get a koala for them....

As far as what you are going to do I would get a small gas one. that way it is more portable and you can take it camping and such with no need for a generator.

I would look into a 14 inch or maybe even a twenty inch homelite. under $200 and very reliable

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
We are on 42 acres here so a corded one won't work. That's why I was looking at the battery one. Plus it is self-oiling...as long as you remember to make sure the oil level stays up in the chamber lol. It was be nice to not have to mess with gas cans, too.

You need a gas one for sure then. It would make me made as hell being out there working and the frigging battery went dead.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member

Gotcha, FWIW the one I described is self oiling as well.

As mentioned above, with 42 acres I wouldn't use a cordless either.

Craftsman 42cc gas chainsaw w/ case for $150 @ Sears.

oldmodman

Established Member
Stihl and Husqvarna are the two top names for gas powered chain saws. Very high quality but expensive.

But don't pass up all the factory reconditioned saws that are available. Generally half price. Google has quite a few listed. Mostly at tool sales companies.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Stihl and Husqvarna are the two top names for gas powered chain saws. Very high quality but expensive.

But don't pass up all the factory reconditioned saws that are available. Generally half price. Google has quite a few listed. Mostly at tool sales companies.

Definitely go gas and preferably with one of these companies. Lowes has a 14" Husqvarna for $199.

My parents live on 4 acres that's almost completely wooded and my dad has a 16" Husqvarna that he has run non-stop over the past few years. Works like a champ and he's never had a single problem with it. He's had several Homelites and Craftsmans in the past that eventually crapped out, but this new one is a beast. I'm not talking trimming branches and stuff, he's cutting up huge oak/beech/poplar trees that you have to cut from both sides of the trunk to get all the way through.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Had a Electric Craftsmen going on about 10 years now. Never had an issue out of it! I don't cut up huge trees with it, but it works great for just around the yard and what not. My .02

STIHL is also a good brand!

Last edited:

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member

DON'T cheap out on a saw you'll regret it. As I mentioned above Husqvarna 455 would be perfect for what you're looking to do. They are SO worth the cash. Trust me I cut 10-20 cord a year and just dropped 300+ trees for the property I'm clearing to build my house.:thumbsup:

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Stihl is overpriced and start hard as hell in the cold. Husqvarna or Makita's are a much better value.

Gotta disagree, I've used both a 14" and 16" Stihl to clear red cedar off a ranch for the last 2 years and it took well over 600+ hours of abuse before the 14" finally gave out on me and the 16" is still running strong. I've used them in weather ranging from single digits to 110+ and I have no complaints about starting ever. I can promise that the OP's husband won't have to abuse his chain saw the way I did (cutting horizontal, multiple chain tightenings required daily, having to re-oil every 2 days at the most...etc) and that a Stihl (if he maintained it properly) would be damn near bulletproof. With that said, if you're gonna do light use and you take care of your stuff, then you don't really need to spring for a top-end chainsaw either.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Husqvarna is king in my shed, cranks fairly easily and I got one with an 18'' bar I think for around $200-240. I had a Homelite that would cut well, if you could get the thing to crank. I literally gave it away to a buddy, was still on it's first chain and bar. I might have put 3 gallons of gas through it. If your going to buy it for your husband and you want praise, buy it right. Buy one that will last, crank easily, and get the job done the 1st try, even if that's all you buy him. I'd rather you buy it once than cheap out and make me do it again. My wife bought me a cordless drill from Sear's [the cheapest most gutless thing I've held] and paid less than $30 for it. I then went back and bought what she should have for around $120 on sale. A half inch chuck, 19.2 volt, almost break your arm if it hangs up drill. It still works 3 years later, hers won't even charge.

Users who are viewing this thread