Challenger/Charger 392 bolt-on quarter mile times?

htk084

Established Member
I've been tryin to find some info on those dodge 392's, but all of them seem to be stock. Father in-law just picked one up that's why I'm interested. how do these cars react to bolt ons?

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The 392 is a nice engine and no reason why it won't react nicely to even basic mods. The killer is the extra weight it has to haul. It would be so awesome if it was slightly smaller than the current Mustang and weighed in at around 3,600 lbs. I've always loved the design of the Challenger. Charger? Not so much.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Regardless, I wouldnt buy a charger for shit.

While I agree with this, lately the 392's Challengers have grown on me, I find them much more appealing to look at as compared to the other two retro offerings by Ford and Chevy. I always liked the Chargers redesign as its not retro to begin with.

But yeah, id never physically spend a dime on anything from Chrysler, including a Viper.

zPipes

Established Member
I think they did a great retro job on the challenger, Im not a dodge guy but I do think they look good.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
are they still density-air as opposed to mass air? I believe it is much harder and much more expensive to mod them

they do move out pretty good tho for their hefty weight. and I agree, although very big, they are the best looking of the musclecars

scott_0

Established Member
From what I have seen, an intake, full exhaust and tune will net around 430-450rwhp on the 392s.
arent the ecm's on these locked down? heard stories of owners reverting back a few years to older ecm's that werent locked down........

daves03svt

Established Member
arent the ecm's on these locked down? heard stories of owners reverting back a few years to older ecm's that werent locked down........

You can tune them now. I just saw a dyno for a heads cam 392 that put down 520rwhp or so. Not too bad imo.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Far too slow for what you are getting for your money. I'd say if you were looking to go fast, snag a Corvette.

Yes, because someone who is looking for a fast 4 door family car should definitely just get a corvette.
:nonono:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Yes, because someone who is looking for a fast 4 door family car should definitely just get a corvette.
:nonono:

He could be talking about the Challenger, which is also listed in the title of the thread.

And if I was looking for a fast 4dr, id look at the SS or a used G8.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
slower than a 5.0

Umm, no.
are they still density-air as opposed to mass air? I believe it is much harder and much more expensive to mod them

they do move out pretty good tho for their hefty weight. and I agree, although very big, they are the best looking of the musclecars

They are SD. They are not more expensive/harder to mod because of that though.

Users who are viewing this thread