chance on cheap irs

blwnmstc

Established Member
So I found a real good deal on a irs off of a 99 COBRA. I currently have a built new edge rearend with 373s and UCA and LCA and welded tubes. I have been wanting to do a irs swap because I have heard its a better ride and everytime I see a terminator with polished exhaust I :bowdown:. The only thing about the irs is that its been sitting for about 4 yrs but the owner says he can spin the axles with no problem. My questions to u guys is, would u keep the built rear or take a chance with the irs? I know its gonna end being my choice but I would like some suggestion. Thanx
Forgot to mention that it comes with blisteins and with money I sell my sra I would invest in the irs.

Last edited:

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
I'd it was stored inside I don't think I'd worry about how long its been sitting. If it was outside it would depend on how it was stored. It should've at least been on a pallet or some hard surface and covered. Then it'd probably be fine.

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
Make sure all the parts are there including swaybar brackets and such. Also check for cracked CV boots, see if the diff locks when someone holds one end and you turn the other. That won't guarantee it'll lock when you drop the clutch but it's better than a diff that doesn't lock at all.

I would personally stick to the built rear over a 99 IRS. If you decide to ever part with your built rear go 01 or 03/04 with the 31 spline axles as they are a much better platform.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
How many miles on that 99 IRS?

I would honestly go with a 03-04 unit or at least an 01 with the 03-04 front diff torque brace. You honestly prob won't like the IRS at first because of the wheelhop, you will have to change out the bushings in it to get it to stop so make sure you're ready to tear apart the IRS to make the changes.

For the amount of work/parts you have in the solid axle you should have no problem getting someone with a terminator to trade you for your axle.

blwnmstc

Established Member
I'd it was stored inside I don't think I'd worry about how long its been sitting. If it was outside it would depend on how it was stored. It should've at least been on a pallet or some hard surface and covered. Then it'd probably be fine.

He said it was out side on concrete uncovered.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I have seen alot of ppl brake IRS rears i would keep the solid rear IMO.

people break them because they don't let off the throttle when they start to get wheel hop, also guys like to dump the clutch at 5k rpm with out even a rear diff brace to support the rear cover...this leads to broken IRS parts.

Slap on a rear cover brace
Photo1364.jpg

Replace diff bushings
Photo1363.jpg

Photo1366.jpg

Also, replace the rubber control arm bushings and cradle bushings with at least urethane pieces, this will help A LOT with wheel hop which is what kills axles and rear diff covers. The urethane pieces aren't expensive at all, go with the Prothane brand, but if you want to get the best of the best get the Full Tilt Boogie Kit. I've installed one of these kits in a friends 03 cobra, it is superb and works like a charm!

blwnmstc

Established Member
Thanx for the responses guys, and a lot of good info. Didn't know that the 99 irs is not as good as the 01 and 03/04. Looks like im gonna keep the sea for now until I find a newer one. MysticSVT if u don't mind me asking out of what year is ur irs?

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
I had 2 99 Cobra with the stock irs these cars wheel hop big time...imo these irs are pos. I had a 03 cobra with the stock irs...they are way better than the 99. I wouldn't waste my time to installed a 99 irs in your car...imo I would considered it a big down-grade.

blwnmstc

Established Member
Its a no go then I would be too afraid to get on it and break it. PSUCOBRA96 I now u have to change the exhaust and was one of the things I was looking forward to mainly for looks.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
blwnmstc;11149897 MysticSVT if u don't mind me asking out of what year is ur irs?[/QUOTE said:
Out of an '03...replaced my differential with a freshly rebuilt '01 4.10 geared piece since the one in my car for some reason just started making all kinds of noises even though it only had 35k miles and full of fluid.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Thanx, u have very nice looking car!
:beer:

Other than the 28 vs 31 splines and probably the gear ratio, what else is different between the 99 IRS and the 01/03-04 setup?

'99 IRS: 28 spline carrier/axles, 3.27s, no front diff torque brace.
'01 IRS: 31 spline carrier/axles, 3.27s, no front diff torque brace.
'03-'04 IRS: 31 spline carrier/axles, carbon fiber clutches, 3.55s, front diff torque brace, stronger axles.

The front torque differential brace can be installed in the '99-'01 IRS, just remove the stock one in favor of the '03-'04 piece.

RPM4DAZ

Because stock sucks!!
Established Member
If you are not going to get it, could tell me where it is and for how much? I have a friend in need of one...

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
Honestly I almost bought a 99 prefect condition perfect price I didn't get it and a month later found an 03. 99's Arnt worth it
98 BAB Cobra

Users who are viewing this thread