Change transmission oil before or after new shifter?

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
Or does it matter? =)

I'm going to switch out the stock shifter for a Tri-ax pretty soon, and it's just about time to replace my transmission oil - does it matter in what order I do these two things?

Switching to synthetic.

~Berj

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
do them both at the same time...

if you're careful you can just add the fluid through the top of the trans before you bolt the new shifter on....I think it's easier that way

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
Much easier to fill up the transmission through the top while the shifter is off.

The car comes with sythetic fluid from the factory. It's just that other sythetics have better wear, sound and heat tolerance qualities.

Redline D4 quieted down my transmission a lot, and shifting while the car is in motion and the revs are matched is much easier. Shifting into gear from a standstill or powershifting requires much more effort than with stock fluid and I will be trying Redline MTF next time to allow the syncros to work a little quicker.

jeffsavage

Established Member
Logic would dictate doing one or the other at a time, not both shifter and fluid. That way, if you have some sort of issue or problem with the car you know what to blame. If you do both at the same time and you have some glitches, what are you going to blame? I would do shifter first, verify it works correctly for awhile, then change fluid.
Just like when I am troubleshooting electronics or computers, one thing at a time otherwise I don't know what fixed it (Or is causing the problem)

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I would do em both at once. I did AMSOIL synthetic in mine about 1 mont before my shifter install and it helped the notchiness alot, it shifts smooth as butter now.

Users who are viewing this thread