Changing fuel filter

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
I know with my Lightning, changing the fuel filter was a must. I went 20,000 miles on the factory filter and noticed that when I changed it my bumping idle went away.

How often are you guys changing them on the Cobra's? Every 5000, 10000 miles?

I noticed as of late that my Cobra (9500 miles) seems to have gotten the same bumpy idle that my Lightning had with the old filter. The L boys reported improved idle quality on changing the FF regularly. Just wondering.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I have 23,000 miles on my cobra now and am looking and replacing mine very soon. I heard it is rather difficult though.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I noticed there is a filter behind the rear bumper, Are there 2 filters?, or just the one? All the other cars I've owned have 1 filer up front.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
I would pay someone to do it unless you enjoy gas in your armpit. :-D

I'll do mine every 15000-20000 miles.

NCStanger

Established Member
I think Ford just sent me a coupon for service at 30K intervals, that recommends chaning the filter then. I'm on 26K and will do it at 30K along with Tranmission fluid change and plugs maybe, PCV valve, and coolant change/flush. Think I'll let my mechanic do it though.

davidmax

Established Member
Miness new,nothing to deal with for a few runs,I'm happy.Now if my in line electric water pump arrives today I will be racing though on slightly sticky 295 KD'S,which on my car with HUGE horspower and tqe to match launcing at 6,000 rpm through the stall because it overpowers the 4500 stall cause its at 75%+ full power exiting the hole is HUGE.
So I will keep in the 11's,I know 1/3 the crew could get 10.90's with 16 lbs. on the rear 295x 18's.I had paid to have my fenders wells rolled and it was a miscom. so I destroyed 1 slick and damged the other,good enough for spare.
Orderd some ET streets and I like em' a bit better than what was on there and the brand escapes me.So next weeek I will have the fenders roleed I just orderd a new off set on the rear wheels and turned the 2 rears into Xtra fromts 4 now,what a waste but there prices in the Mineral Grey AKA:THE BEAST,all 5.2 litres not enough discplacemen where yo cant hide the short block under the small corner coffee table.(Heck I'm loosing it,FEAR Epidural tommorow 9-10" needdle in your spine,I hope he manipulates that needle as good as I degree the cams on our car!!!!
Any how month tops before all buugs are worked out,getting 2 extra C-$'s I have 25-50 run confidence,I still havent Dynoed it DONT CARE its all launche and suspension,That tiny littlee peocaarger will be @ 75 maybe 85% full boost and the remainder wont be more than 1-1.25 seconds behind,its at 9000 RPM so fast its takes alot of practic when your coming out at 6000 RPM the 2500 revs to the imagenary 85-8650 red line takes a second to go and 2nd feels like it should be skipped,I bet you'll still run to 8650 skipping 2nd and stay into the low-hi 9's.
Once I know this car 3rd rendition at 850+rwhp but even had IRS,once I took the weaker parts theen came the tranny and it hasnt cease.
XTREME put 450 man hours into iit Sean Hyland my partner put 1400+ man hours into it(Its good to have a sweet man this talented as a partner,just wished they would move Toronto just a couple thousnd miles closer to Phoenix)
Soon we'll see what the Beast can do the final mod which takes 40+ man hours even though I told Chad my foreman just slap the juice in but he wont do that if his name is on it ANAL!!! Customers Gain.
So the juice shot will be direct Port wet 100 HP should yield 120 rwhp NET> which I'm gussing will put us well over 1000 at the flywheel,Horspower that is.The box is great but beeing aa 50's-60's box to the best of my knowledge and I almost remember the falcons and Fairlanes having C-4's,and later ggoing to the 4 speed OD C-6 I hope I remember well nothing worse than a man building Fords mostly 2:1 over Chevs and Mopars and than building proffesionaly for over 11 tears misquoting his BUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So flame on no ones got me in aa while its the suppoting vendor
Syndrome.
HAPPY JOYFUL DAYS AHEAD WE HAVE SOME NICE COBRA AND GT WATCHES AND WALL CLOCKS AT REALL GREAT PRICES THE WATHES HAVE MULTI FEATURES LAP TIMES/STOP WATCES AND MULTI DIALS AND REAL KEWL NEON FORD CLOCKS GREAT GIFTS FOR THAT SPECIAL FORD SOMEONE,Dave Smilovic
PS:Staay joyous Damn it,Dave S.

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
Originally posted by davidmax
Miness new,nothing to deal with for a few runs,I'm happy.Now if my in line electric water pump arrives today I will be racing though on slightly sticky 295 KD'S,which on my car with HUGE horspower and tqe to match launcing at 6,000 rpm through the stall because it overpowers the 4500 stall cause its at 75%+ full power exiting the hole is HUGE.
So I will keep in the 11's,I know 1/3 the crew could get 10.90's with 16 lbs. on the rear 295x 18's.I had paid to have my fenders wells rolled and it was a miscom. so I destroyed 1 slick and damged the other,good enough for spare.
Orderd some ET streets and I like em' a bit better than what was on there and the brand escapes me.So next weeek I will have the fenders roleed I just orderd a new off set on the rear wheels and turned the 2 rears into Xtra fromts 4 now,what a waste but there prices in the Mineral Grey AKA:THE BEAST,all 5.2 litres not enough discplacemen where yo cant hide the short block under the small corner coffee table.(Heck I'm loosing it,FEAR Epidural tommorow 9-10" needdle in your spine,I hope he manipulates that needle as good as I degree the cams on our car!!!!
Any how month tops before all buugs are worked out,getting 2 extra C-$'s I have 25-50 run confidence,I still havent Dynoed it DONT CARE its all launche and suspension,That tiny littlee peocaarger will be @ 75 maybe 85% full boost and the remainder wont be more than 1-1.25 seconds behind,its at 9000 RPM so fast its takes alot of practic when your coming out at 6000 RPM the 2500 revs to the imagenary 85-8650 red line takes a second to go and 2nd feels like it should be skipped,I bet you'll still run to 8650 skipping 2nd and stay into the low-hi 9's.
Once I know this car 3rd rendition at 850+rwhp but even had IRS,once I took the weaker parts theen came the tranny and it hasnt cease.
XTREME put 450 man hours into iit Sean Hyland my partner put 1400+ man hours into it(Its good to have a sweet man this talented as a partner,just wished they would move Toronto just a couple thousnd miles closer to Phoenix)
Soon we'll see what the Beast can do the final mod which takes 40+ man hours even though I told Chad my foreman just slap the juice in but he wont do that if his name is on it ANAL!!! Customers Gain.
So the juice shot will be direct Port wet 100 HP should yield 120 rwhp NET> which I'm gussing will put us well over 1000 at the flywheel,Horspower that is.The box is great but beeing aa 50's-60's box to the best of my knowledge and I almost remember the falcons and Fairlanes having C-4's,and later ggoing to the 4 speed OD C-6 I hope I remember well nothing worse than a man building Fords mostly 2:1 over Chevs and Mopars and than building proffesionaly for over 11 tears misquoting his BUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So flame on no ones got me in aa while its the suppoting vendor
Syndrome.
HAPPY JOYFUL DAYS AHEAD WE HAVE SOME NICE COBRA AND GT WATCHES AND WALL CLOCKS AT REALL GREAT PRICES THE WATHES HAVE MULTI FEATURES LAP TIMES/STOP WATCES AND MULTI DIALS AND REAL KEWL NEON FORD CLOCKS GREAT GIFTS FOR THAT SPECIAL FORD SOMEONE,Dave Smilovic
PS:Staay joyous Damn it,Dave S.

With the exception of the first sentence, what did that have to do with a fuel filter?:??:

davidmax

Established Member
Jusst needed to unload,very excited hope I didnt take to many of your pages,Dave Smilovic

Juiced-03

Established Member
Thats cool david! I love to read your posts but I cant wait for the dyno and track numbers more than anything!

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Corner-Carver
With the exception of the first sentence, what did that have to do with a fuel filter?:??:

He is good at that.

I changed mine at 12k. It is not bad you just need to have the disconnect tool. It is between the pumpkin and tank. You can trip the inertia switch and start the car to make sure that all pressure in the line is removed.

CobraTone

Established Member
Does anyone know if it is in the same location and the same process to change as the GT? I did mine a few times on the GT, it was kind of a pain but worth the 25 bucks or so I saved doing it myself.

i8u

Established Member
It is a little harder to get to do to the irs.....but defenately a job easily done by the home hobbiest.:beer:

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
He is good at that.

Glad someone else noticed. Wouldn't hack it at CC.com huh? (I'm "FastasL" over there);-)

I changed mine at 12k. It is not bad you just need to have the disconnect tool. It is between the pumpkin and tank. You can trip the inertia switch and start the car to make sure that all pressure in the line is removed.

Tripping the switch would be too easy and then I wouldn't get the wonderful feeling of raw gasoline in my armpits.:burn:

I like doing things the hard way. :lol1:

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
Changed mine at 10K - it was pretty clogged up! Cheap peace of mind in my opinion....

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Corner-Carver
Glad someone else noticed. Wouldn't hack it at CC.com huh? (I'm "FastasL" over there);-)

They would love him. :lol: I am Maverick.

wjfawb0

Established Member
I should have changed my filter when I had the IRS dropped for the IRS bushing install. Guess I'll do it next oil change. How do you trip the switch to run the car out of fuel?

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread