Changing the brake pads

vita

Established Member
Im going to try to change my own brake pads... I know, adventurous, right? Unfortunately, Im not real car savvy yet, and want to make sure I have everything I need. What all should I have at the house for tools, and what do I need to buy beyond the pads themselves?

Last edited:

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
One thing not covered in that excellent rear brake write-up is that there are two small pins on the rear of the pads that have to be lined up with those little slots on the piston that you use to turn the piston. Basically, I think the piston slots have to be at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock to fit the pads correctly. I found out the hard way....fried the pads and cracked the rotor.

And, you may want to take the slider pins out of those rubber boots, clean them and re-grease them using a good quality bearing grease. Also, I use a 220 grit emery paper to rough up the rotors before installing the new pads, unless you happen to take the rotors in for truing up at your local machine shop.

And, whatever you do, DO NOT undo those springs from the caliper.

Good luck......Once you do it, you'll see how really easy it is.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
One thing not covered in that excellent rear brake write-up is that there are two small pins on the rear of the pads that have to be lined up with those little slots on the piston that you use to turn the piston. Basically, I think the piston slots have to be at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock to fit the pads correctly. I found out the hard way....fried the pads and cracked the rotor.

And, you may want to take the slider pins out of those rubber boots, clean them and re-grease them using a good quality bearing grease. Also, I use a 220 grit emery paper to rough up the rotors before installing the new pads, unless you happen to take the rotors in for truing up at your local machine shop.

Or he could simply watch this for the rear:

Cobra rear brake job

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

vita

Established Member
wow. this is sounding more and more complicated.

is this pretty much all Im looking at? (Im a visual kind of guy... reading makes me get confused. lol)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mB2-fk6nlg"]YouTube- Maintenance and How-to: Changing Break Pads[/nomedia]

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Its not a bad job at all. Front is cake. Do you have a large c-clamp for the front piston and the special took for the rear?

Tip- Remove the rear rotors and bolt the caliper back to the spindle, this gives you a steady way to hold the caliper while turning in the piston. I tried juggling the tool and the left caliper took 45 minutes, bolted the right side caliper back to the spindle and had the new pads back in, rotor installed, and caliper torqued on in 10 minutes!

If you get stuck there's plenty of help here to answer your questions.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
The fronts are pretty much like what you posted vita. Just don't let the caliper hang on the brake line. Don't use a C-clamp on the rear -- it needs to be screwed in using a special tool. I highly suggest reading 006's info or watch Bruce's vid (link doesn't work directly on my computer, but you can go to Full Tilt Boogie Racing Homepage and click on the videos link to find it) until it all makes sense to you. It's really not hard, but you can mess something up like if you don't align the notches in the piston w/the pegs on the pads like OldSVTGuy said. Take your time. Bruce's vids are of a Cobra so that should help.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The fronts are pretty much like what you posted vita. Just don't let the caliper hang on the brake line. Don't use a C-clamp on the rear -- it needs to be screwed in using a special tool. I highly suggest reading 006's info or watch Bruce's vid (link doesn't work directly on my computer, but you can go to Full Tilt Boogie Racing Homepage and click on the videos link to find it) until it all makes sense to you. It's really not hard, but you can mess something up like if you don't align the notches in the piston w/the pegs on the pads like OldSVTGuy said. Take your time. Bruce's vids are of a Cobra so that should help.

I think the link is fixed now. No clue why I have so many problems posting links?! :shrug: I'm just not a computer guy! :rollseyes

vita

Established Member
awesome, thanks for the few pointers there. Im going to be tackling it this weekend... it finally is breaking into the high 40's here.

t-shirt weather here I come! :)

K2AHollywood

Established Member

Wow, I have never once heard that, or seen someone actually do this

Users who are viewing this thread