Changing Transmission fluid

MuscleHead

Banned
hey guys. when the weather gets warmer i plan on changing the transmission fluid... i think i have an idea what to do.. i unscrew the plug for the tranny and let it drain. And to fill it.. do i use a jug of trann fluid and put a pump on it and squeeze the bottle into it? the problem is.. where do i hook that up to? is there something on top of the tranny to fit the tube in?

and i plan on using purple royal tranny fluid.. is that a good choice?

thanks for your help guys!

djtyau

Established Member
I just did mine and I almost used the whole container. I went through the shifter because I couldn't get my pump to work. Just make sure when you refill the tranny the drain plug is out and your car is level enough so the excess fluid comes out the drain hole. Then you know have topped off the fluid.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Are you using the Royal Purple Synchromax?

rpo-rp01512_w.jpg

And how much does the T-56 take?

djtyau

Established Member
I used DEXRON III® (ATF) Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX and the Transmission capacity is 3.9 liters (4.1 quarts). This is straight from the service manual.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
as long as you dont use a synthetic oil, you will be fine. the synthetic causes the carbon fiber blocker rings to swell, and makes it impossible to shift. also, the easiest way to fill it is though the shifter. just pull you shifter off and pour it in. also, there is a fill level indicator on the drivers side of the trans, towards the rear. remove it when you fill it, and the trans is full when it drains out of there. also, just a fyi, the drain plug is on the passengers side rear of the trans.

Edit: royal purple synchromax is synthetic, i probably wouldnt use it.

Last edited:

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
MuscleHead said:
thanks for the info guys!! greatly appreciated... i'll lean torwards using something other than royal purple.

talked to a buddy of mine, who said he has been using RP synchromax with no problems. so you will probably have no issues. as for me, i use regular dex III. its a helluva lot cheaper than the royal purple stuff, and works just fine. also talked to a trans builder named pete, up in Atlanta, and he reccomends type F in T56's. but i have no experince with it.

Juruense

Banned
I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I noticed when I was under my car that there is a big sticker on the side of the trans that says Dexron III compliant fluids ONLY. The Mobil 1 ATF I use is Dexron III compliant. It will say on the container if the fluid you are thinking of using is compliant. Do not add friction modifier to your trans fluid.

98Rsnake

Grease Monkey
Established Member
i just changed my fluid with mobil 1 synthetic has anyone had any problems with this fluid swelling the syncro rings?

SnThetcOil

SnThetcOil
Established Member
You have it right. There is a drain plug and a fill plug. When you refill, make sure you only fill to the edge of the fill hole, or you will be overfilling the transmission.

Question though; why are you changing the transmisison fluid? Is there a problem with the transmission, or are you looking for better shifting and performance?

As for using a synthetic ATF, yes, you are very wise to do so, but synthetic lubricants are not all the same and can vary widely in performance and results from brand to brand. There are many benefits associated with using a top shelf synthetic lubricant and for your transmission, this would include lower operating temperatures/superior cooling, reduced friction, reduced wear/longer transmission life, potentially improved shifting, more power to the drive wheels/better performance and improved fuel economy.:) Just be sure to use the correctly rated ATF and you will be fine.

Many of my customers use synthetic ATF in their Mustang's standard transmission with great results. Race teams using Mustangs use synthetic lubricants to stay competitive and have great results. So yes, if you care about your car, a top shelf synthetic is the way to go.:)

Steve
18 Year Indepdendent AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants Dealer

MuscleHead said:
hey guys. when the weather gets warmer i plan on changing the transmission fluid... i think i have an idea what to do.. i unscrew the plug for the tranny and let it drain. And to fill it.. do i use a jug of trann fluid and put a pump on it and squeeze the bottle into it? the problem is.. where do i hook that up to? is there something on top of the tranny to fit the tube in?

and i plan on using purple royal tranny fluid.. is that a good choice?

thanks for your help guys!

Last edited:

MuscleHead

Banned
SnThetcOil said:
You have it right. There is a drain plug and a fill plug. When you refill, make sure you only fill to the edge of the fill hole, or you will be overfilling the transmission.

Question though; why are you changing the transmisison fluid? Is there a problem with the transmission, or are you looking for better shifting and performance?

As for using a synthetic ATF, yes, you are very wise to do so, but synthetic lubricants are not all the same and can vary widely in performance and results from brand to brand. There are many benefits associated with using a top shelf synthetic lubricant and for your transmission, this would include lower operating temperatures/superior cooling, reduced friction, reduced wear/longer transmission life, potentially improved shifting, more power to the drive wheels/better performance and improved fuel economy.:) Just be sure to use the correctly rated ATF and you will be fine.

Many of my customers use synthetic ATF in their Mustang's standard transmission with great results. Race teams using Mustangs use synthetic lubricants to stay competitive and have great results. So yes, if you care about your car, a top shelf synthetic is the way to go.:)

Steve
18 Year Indepdendent AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants Dealer

hey thanks man... well my car is turning over to 26k miles soon so i'm going to change it and see how much better my car will be at shifting.

SnThetcOil

SnThetcOil
Established Member
So you are looking for better shifting?

The same synthetic lubricant advantages and benefits apply to the engine and rear differential too. What are you currently using in them?

Steve
18 Year Independent AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants Dealer
www.lubedealer.com/hitechoilco

MuscleHead said:
hey thanks man... well my car is turning over to 26k miles soon so i'm going to change it and see how much better my car will be at shifting.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I'm goin with the Royal Purple Sycnromax come Monday's clutch install, I'll let you know how it works.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread