Changing Transmission fluid

tonypipes

Established Member
Thats funny I put in Royal Purple Syncromesh after clutch install, works great. centerforce DF, 26 spline, MGW, LDC cooling mod, Fiore adj and Quad, Fidanza flywheel,

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
tonypipes said:
Thats funny I put in Royal Purple Syncromesh after clutch install, works great. centerforce DF, 26 spline, MGW, LDC cooling mod, Fiore adj and Quad, Fidanza flywheel,

no, you put in royal purple synchroMAX :-D

I know, i know, its the same damn thing :rolling:

SnThetcOil

SnThetcOil
Established Member
Ford specifies Dexron III rated ATF for this transmission and I can find no information that clearly states this RP product is Dexron III rated. :uh oh: Does anyone have a bottle with the product displaying the Dexron III rating?

Steve
18 Year Inependent AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants Dealer
www.lubedealer.com/hitechoilco

03InThe11s said:
no, you put in royal purple synchroMAX :-D

I know, i know, its the same damn thing :rolling:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
SnThetcOil said:
Ford specifies Dexron III rated ATF for this transmission and I can find no information that clearly states this RP product is Dexron III rated. :uh oh: Does anyone have a bottle with the product displaying the Dexron III rating?

Steve
18 Year Inependent AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants Dealer

From www.RoyalPurple.com :

"What product do you recommend for manual transmissions / transfer cases that specify a Ford Mercon® and / or GM Dexron® fluid?"

"For manual transmissions and / or transfer cases specifying a Ford Mercon® or GM Dexron® type ATF, Royal Purple recommends either its Max ATF or for greater performance, its Synchromax."

and

"Synchromax is fully compatible with all types of friction materials and offers excellent corrosion and oxidation protection without affecting the soft metals commonly found in manual transmission synchronizers."

SnThetcOil

SnThetcOil
Established Member
Yes, I read that too, but nowhere does it state that their Synchromax product is Dexron III approved/rated ATF, they only state that is the product they recommend.

From the viscosity test results they post on their web site, this product appears to be more a gear lube than an ATF.

Ford specifies a Dexron III rated ATF for this transmission and if a non-Dexron III rated fluid is used, it could potentially cause problems that Ford would not have to warranty.

Steve
18 Year Independent AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants Dealer

03 DSG Snake said:
From www.RoyalPurple.com :

"What product do you recommend for manual transmissions / transfer cases that specify a Ford Mercon® and / or GM Dexron® fluid?"

"For manual transmissions and / or transfer cases specifying a Ford Mercon® or GM Dexron® type ATF, Royal Purple recommends either its Max ATF or for greater performance, its Synchromax."

and

"Synchromax is fully compatible with all types of friction materials and offers excellent corrosion and oxidation protection without affecting the soft metals commonly found in manual transmission synchronizers."

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
SnThetcOil said:
Yes, I read that too, but nowhere does it state that their Synchromax product is Dexron III approved/rated ATF, they only state that is the product they recommend.

From the viscosity test results they post on their web site, this product appears to be more a gear lube than an ATF.

Ford specifies a Dexron III rated ATF for this transmission and if a non-Dexron III rated fluid is used, it could potentially cause problems that Ford would not have to warranty.

Steve

X100000. seeing as how i dont know what some other oil would do, and I dont feel like tearing down my trans for a quick rebuild, i use dex. III. much easier that way, rather than testing fate with another oil.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
SnThetcOil said:

Steve

I'm out of warranty, and I've been needing an excuse to pick up a Viper spec T-56. You wouldn't happen to be trying to convince people to purchase AMSOIL would you? :read:

Juruense

Banned
I dunno there is something about Royal Purple that I just do not like. I just do not trust the company, their marketing and packaging is too glitzy and their stuff seems too gimmicky for me. I will probably never use any Royal Purple fluids. I greatly prefer Mobil1, Amsoil, and Motorcraft fluids.

silvercoffin

Established Member

ok this has gone around in circles!

I had my new clutch put in and the mechanic changed the trans fluid and just put the regular stuff back in. I didnt even get the brand but he said it wasnt synthetic. The last mechanic to work on my car had put synthetic in the trans or at least said he did.

The reason I was thinking about changing it is becuase since this latest trans fluid change shifting is weird until the trans heats up. 2nd gear in particular is bad for the first few minutues...2nd was always sloppy but it is noticable worse now. The only change aside form the clutch which has 350 miles on it now was the tran fluid.

I would like to put something good in and see if it makes a difference.

Does anyone think there is a chance it will make a difference in my case?

I think Ill just get the royal purple and see what happens.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I'm currently using Mobil1 synthetic ATF (but based on their motor oil discussions, it probly isn't a "true synthetic") with no problems. The tranny shifts a bit notchy until it's heated up, then it's smooth. However, I'm going to change to Synchromesh this summer. When I used it in my 98's T-45, it shifted smooth as silk.

I'd like to use Penzoil's Synchromesh, but can't find it anywhere. I was told that Autozone carries it, but I've been to Autozone, O'Reily's, Napa, Pep Boys, and Advanced in 3 different states without finding it. I hate to pay GM's inflated prices. Anyone know of a site online that sells it?

silvercoffin

Established Member

ok im changing to the GM Syncromesh

Should I drain and then put the car level and refill through the shifter opening?

Even something simple like this is tough for me because I have no where to work on my car. Even the oil change I just did was tough becuase I had the people where I rent my garage not so happy about me doing that there.

Cant wait to buy a house.

silvercoffin

Established Member

I'm not putting the GM Syncromesh in my car. From the research I have done its not really the safest bet.

I'm going either Redline or Mobil one ATF

Last edited:

Juruense

Banned
silvercoffin said:
I'm not putting the GM Syncromesh in my car. From the research I have done its not really the safest bet.

I'm going either Redline or Mobil one ATF
Smart decision :rockon: I went with the Mobil1 ATF six months ago no problems so far.

silvercoffin

Established Member

MObil one atf synth and my shifting issuus are solved... the fluid makes a difference..

2nd gear cold shift problem is gone and all shifts are smoother.

silvercoffin

Established Member

I just brought mine to an oil change place I trust and had them do it. I dont have a pump and even if you do it through your shifter you need to look underneath to make sure you have the level right....and the car has to be level so you would have to put it completely up on four jackstands..

I have been changing my own oil now but let someone else do it... They flushed the old stuff out to

03 DSG Snake said:
I'm goin with the Royal Purple Sycnromax come Monday's clutch install, I'll let you know how it works.

thats what i use. no problems. shifts smooth as butter warm, and is notchy as hell cold, but so was the factory ATF.

Users who are viewing this thread