Changing Transmission fluid

silvercoffin said:
I'm not putting the GM Syncromesh in my car. From the research I have done its not really the safest bet.

I'm going either Redline or Mobil one ATF

stay away from redline. tremec themselves have said it will do harm to your tranny. blocker rings will swell and it will be hard to get into gear.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Well just to add some more confusion to this discussion, I just switched to the Pennzoil Synchromesh. My car was getting to the point where it didn't want to go into 3rd at WOT so I thought it was time for a change. My initial impression is that the Synchromesh definitely performs better, once it warms up a little, shifts much smoother in all conditions.

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
On my 97 Cobra I had to change out the trans fluid 3 times before the hard shifting went away and my friends 98 Cobra had to change it out twice. I have not had that problem on the 03 though a lot of people do. I would change the fluid every 50k and Dex 3 is the latest and greatest as the older mustangs took thin Type F in all their t-5's. I would just buy a good brand name Castrol or Valvoline Dex 3 and be done with it. If it does not fix it after 5k, change it again. That is what worked for us. Good luck and happy motoring.

Last edited:
How many quarts do I need? I'm too lazy to search. Someone, I beg you pelase. Just give me a damn simple answer without all the bs...

Fuerza

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
How many quarts do I need? I'm too lazy to search. Someone, I beg you pelase. Just give me a damn simple answer without all the bs...

4 quarts

Users who are viewing this thread