Charging System Problems. AGAIN

VRM III

Established Member
Has anyone else had issues with bad diodes in the alternator? This is the second time this has happened (car has 33K on the odo)

Just wanting to see how common this is? I don't see why it would go bad after 2 months of replacing the Alternator and battery. My guess is Ford replaced it with a Reman, and I just got shit luck

Going in Friday to see if they will replace it...

Anyone else have issues like this on the S197 platform?

Carlos c

Established Member
Last edited:

VRM III

Established Member
Thanks for the advice and the link. I'm going to crawl up Fords ass and see if they will replace it and warranty it again and if so cool if not I'll check into a setup similar to yours. Thanks!

Carlos c

Established Member
Thanks for the advice and the link. I'm going to crawl up Fords ass and see if they will replace it and warranty it again and if so cool if not I'll check into a setup similar to yours. Thanks!

Should not be much of a problem unless they come up with the usual crap like "don't turn the radio up past 20 at night with the fog lights on" :-D haha you know what I mean........good luck and I will post a review when I get mine. Thanks.

Last edited:

VRM III

Established Member
Got my alternator replaced today free of charge. So lets see if this one shits out of if it can stay good for a while :)

I am beginning to wonder if my under-drive pulleys and tune effected the alternator and caused the diode to go bad? Is that really possible ?

JoeG

Established Member
I am beginning to wonder if my under-drive pulleys and tune effected the alternator and caused the diode to go bad? Is that really possible ?

It's been posted many times that the different sized pulleys can affect alternator performance.

Plus, tuners CAN change how the charging system runs within the tune.

VRM III

Established Member
Ya I figured it could of been... I called Steeda and of course they claimed to never have any issues with the charging system being affected by the pullies.

I am probably going to be changing the tune up soon. I am on a 91 Octane "Race" Tune from Bamachips, I might need to go back down to the 89....

VRM III

Established Member
It's been posted many times that the different sized pulleys can affect alternator performance.

Plus, tuners CAN change how the charging system runs within the tune.

I went down from the 91 Race tune back to an 89 Performance Tune and so we will see what that does. I still don't know for sure if the Steeda Pulleys or Tune effect it more.

Does anyone else run the Steeda Underdrive Setup? Have you had any problems?
Also does anyone run any Bamachips tunes from American Muscle and have you had any issues with the Charging System.

I just don't want to blame it on either of those since this is a common problem with the Alternators and might just be bad luck.:shrug:

cconner

Word of Wisdom
Established Member
Underdrives slow your alternator down quiet a bit. I've never heard of an alternator going bad because it has slowed down. However I own quiet a few deisel trucks, and I go through alternators on them like I do oil. That is because the high RPM's I use to pull trailers eat up the Alternator. Maybe your problem is that you keep your car at high RPM's too often. However, deisels and mustangs are quiet different... I just wanted to offer my assistance.

VRM III

Established Member
Underdrives slow your alternator down quiet a bit. I've never heard of an alternator going bad because it has slowed down. However I own quiet a few deisel trucks, and I go through alternators on them like I do oil. That is because the high RPM's I use to pull trailers eat up the Alternator. Maybe your problem is that you keep your car at high RPM's too often. However, deisels and mustangs are quiet different... I just wanted to offer my assistance.

I appreciate it!

Something interesting to note about the last alternator issue is that it only alerted me about the charging system problem when it was in neutral and idle belwo 1K. I changed the tune on my car to idle at 1060. just barely above and I haven't had any issues yet. I'm running the 91 Tune again. It is just too much fun to NOT have on the car...

I'll keep you guys updated :)

cconner

Word of Wisdom
Established Member
I know what you mean! I love my tune, it's a night and day difference over stock.

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
If someone has one of these as a core,i'd like to buy it.I'm courious to see what failed & what i can build them for you guys.:beer:pM me with what you have,thanks.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

VRM III

Established Member
I turned my last one in to get the $75 core charge back, but if it does happen again I'll let you know :D

Users who are viewing this thread