Check out the glory that is my custom pistons

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
That's going to be a pretty steep engine. Sounds like you go the right slugs for the job. I try to avoid reliefs but that limits your choice of cams. The reliefs are the first place the pistons will fail if they are inclined to do so. .007 is pretty loose, is that what they are subscribing for your engine? CP recommended .0045 I am going to hone for .0035. My engine will be running on pump gas and won't be anywhere near what your building but .007 seems a little excessive.
Typo. Ring gap is bore x .0007, between this thread and Malcom's I got confused. My bad.

I believe CP recommended the same for me.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Since we're posting pistons I thought I'd throw mine in too :) I think they're weird in how they have a full circle at the base. Never seen that before.

IMG_5197.JPG

IMG_5198.JPG

IMG_5199.JPG

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_5201.JPG

SlowSVT

Established Member
Malcolm, who made this slug? I like the circumference on the lower potion of the skirt. I'm curious if it maintains the roundness at the bottom of the pistons better. What's with the support ring in the oil groove couldn't they have just moved the land higher?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Malcolm, who made this slug? I like the circumference on the lower potion of the skirt. I'm curious if it maintains the roundness at the bottom of the pistons better. What's with the support ring in the oil groove couldn't they have just moved the land higher?

Diamond Pistons. I specifically ordered it with the rings moved down to reduce exposure to the combustion chamber, increase ring land thickness. Yes unfortunately that put the oil rings into the wrist pin area so a support ring is needed. I test fitted one oil support rail to see what it looks like, that's why its on there :)

I told them make it hella strong, increase skirt thickness, gas pressure release holes, flat top, remove exhaust reliefs, reduce intake reliefs from .150 to .050. I didn't realize it would come with a full base circle at the bottom like that. Maybe that came from the "hella strong" comment LOL, I really don't know.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Diamond Pistons. I specifically ordered it with the rings moved down to reduce exposure to the combustion chamber, increase ring land thickness. Yes unfortunately that put the oil rings into the wrist pin area so a support ring is needed. I test fitted one oil support rail to see what it looks like, that's why its on there :)

I told them make it hella strong, increase skirt thickness, gas pressure release holes, flat top, remove exhaust reliefs, reduce intake reliefs from .150 to .050. I didn't realize it would come with a full base circle at the bottom like that. Maybe that came from the "hella strong" comment LOL, I really don't know.
I don't like gas ports on street pistons but I agree with everything else. JE does a full round piston.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I don't like gas ports on street pistons but I agree with everything else. JE does a full round piston.

I went back and forth on them. My initial order included them. I called back the next day and changed my mind since it was a $50 option I just couldn't see the full benefit from and removed it. Credited $50 and 3 months later got the pistons with them anyways.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
He builds some amazing cars, however I will be his first mod motor.

Really first? When I called him he told me he doesn't do nearly as many mod motors as the LS motors. To me that implied he'd at least done some. Maybe not. There's really nothing special about our motors as far as machining goes. As long as he has the specs, torque plates and what not he's good to go.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Really first? When I called him he told me he doesn't do nearly as many mod motors as the LS motors. To me that implied he'd at least done some. Maybe not. There's really nothing special about our motors as far as machining goes. As long as he has the specs, torque plates and what not he's good to go.
He just got the torque plate not even a month ago and I was the reason he ordered it lol. He knows his shit though.

Users who are viewing this thread