Check out these MT' s

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
IMG_1703_zpsoedbed0d.jpg

These have about 300 miles on them. I haven't been babying them but i haven't been really hard on them either . My last set of mickeys didn't do this . I recently rebuilt my entire irs with the FTBR kit and had it aligned but i did find a retaining nut was loose on the passenger side after the alignment. I retightened the nut and it seemed to be fine but recently noticed this problem occurring .

I can also feel the car swaying from side to side under hard acceleration . I'm thinking i need bearings, hubs and new retaining nuts . I haven't had a chance to check for play in the rear wheels and don't plan driving the car anymore until i resolve the issue .

The reason i find this odd is because the last set i had wore normally , and the car was not aligned properly then .
I realize all the things i have mentioned maybe contributing to the tires wearing this way but was just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue .

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
What pressure do you have them at? Mine did this when I had too much air in them.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Check that axle nut again. If one or both bearings have spun on that side the nut will come loose in less than 100 miles. To fully determine play in the bearings the brake pads need to come off. A shot bearing is loud and can easily be heard if you are listening for it (aka stereo off, windows up, back seat folded down)
My bias ET slicks look shredded like that but not my drag radials.

Last edited:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
If you are spinning a drag radial under hard acceleration, it is completely normal for the tire to shred like that. Brand doesn't matter. Your rear end type (solid or IRS) has nothing to do with it and there is likely nothing wrong it. I've come in late from roll racing many nights with my tires looking identical to that.

AMWill

IMG_1703_zpsoedbed0d.jpg

These have about 300 miles on them. I haven't been babying them but i haven't been really hard on them either . My last set of mickeys didn't do this . I recently rebuilt my entire irs with the FTBR kit and had it aligned but i did find a retaining nut was loose on the passenger side after the alignment. I retightened the nut and it seemed to be fine but recently noticed this problem occurring .

I can also feel the car swaying from side to side under hard acceleration . I'm thinking i need bearings, hubs and new retaining nuts . I haven't had a chance to check for play in the rear wheels and don't plan driving the car anymore until i resolve the issue .

The reason i find this odd is because the last set i had wore normally , and the car was not aligned properly then .
I realize all the things i have mentioned maybe contributing to the tires wearing this way but was just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue .

Hey Phil,

Sorry to hear about this!

Out of curiousity, what pressure are you keeping them at? When I didn't keep mine around 25-26 PSI, I had this issue just not as bad.

-Will

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
I'm running them at 28 psi. They had 32 in them when I first put them on. I only drove a short distance at that psi then dropped them to 28. Would the tires wearing like this cause the car to sway ? I can feel it under acceleration . Car seems to pull to the right under moderate acceleration , which is the side the nut came loose on before. Sways back and forth at wot very slightly. I have checked it since I've tightened it the first time and it is still tight.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
You still have to much air, I got a lot of wandering under WOT with too much air. I'm down to about 22 psi and they seem happy

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Lower the psi until the tire is square on the ground or on the contact patch. I run a 325/40x18" drag radial and run like 22 psi in them.

Also if you accelerated hard when you were out that's what the shredding is from. It's shredded in the direction of accelerating so the car was trying to grip/hook. It'll just take a few miles to get rid of it.

Last edited:

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
Lower the psi until the tire is square on the ground or on the contact patch. I run a 325/40x18" drag radial and run like 22 psi in them.

Also if you accelerated hard when you were out that's what the shredding is from. It's shredded in the direction of accelerating so the car was trying to grip/hook. It'll just take a few miles to get rid of it.

I will try them at 26psi but i won't run them any lower than that.
I just find it odd because the last set of mickeys I had they wore fine with no shredding what so ever .
I already drove a few miles normally hoping the shredded rubber would disappear with no luck.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I will try them at 26psi but i won't run them any lower than that.
I just find it odd because the last set of mickeys I had they wore fine with no shredding what so ever .
I already drove a few miles normally hoping the shredded rubber would disappear with no luck.

I put on a 2nd set of MT DR and they are doing the same thing. I run them at 24 psi. Car/driving style/tire pressure/tire PN are all the same as the last set, however these new tires are shredding. Have only a few hundred miles on them.

Perhaps the heat? Asphalt is really, REALLY hot here in AZ, in the summer. Or the rubber compound in this batch is different.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Mine look like that after hard acceleration, but normal driving they look normal

oxford03cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
If you are spinning a drag radial under hard acceleration, it is completely normal for the tire to shred like that. Brand doesn't matter. Your rear end type (solid or IRS) has nothing to do with it and there is likely nothing wrong it. I've come in late from roll racing many nights with my tires looking identical to that.

x2 that tire looks normal to me mine always look like that after racing

Users who are viewing this thread