check this out! cobra engine in a focus!!!

tjs98gt

Established Member
my friends shop is building one of those too. full tubular frame from the firewall back(this way it can technically still be considered legal for the street). completely tubbed with fuel cell and 2 stages of nitrous and a 9 inch. gunna be a sick car. they havent worked on it in a long time cuz the customer hasnt decided what the ultimate route for the car is yet in terms of suspension setup and shit.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
well, id be the first to say i love my focus. But if i was to put that kinda effort into a swap, I would put into something more worthy... like a lincoln

RabidMongoos3

Established Member
that looks like the buildup ATI did. it cost them about 60 grand on top of the cost of the focus to make it street legal, but at least everything works, A/C, radio, gauges, the works.

the article i read said that they were making faster passes with four or five people in the car that with one because of traction issues.

only if i was filthy stinking rich...

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
ATI did it with all new parts though, If a person could pick up a rollover Cobra wreck that still ran it would be a fraction of the 60k figure to build one.

Heck, for that matter you could buy a perfectly good condition Cobra for less than 60k any day of the week and use it as a donor car. It'd be a waste of a good Cobra to tear apart a nice one but much more cost effective than buying all new parts.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
well, id be the first to say i love my focus. But if i was to put that kinda effort into a swap, I would put into something more worthy... like a lincoln

That's kind of apples to apples though, the whole point of the swap was getting a 500hp blown Cobra motor in a small lightweight package.

No one is going to pull up to a stoplight and expect to have a 500 horse Focus kick their behind into the middle of last week.

Imagine (assuming you could get traction) lining up against a Vette at a light and blowing his doors off in a Focus. :burnout:

Hotrod Tommy

SVT Poster
Established Member
I remember reading an article about that car, but I can't find it now. Crazy. They said it was nearly impossible to keep the tires stuck to the ground. Good time to drop in a 200 lb custom sub box in the trunk!

svteric

IMPORT KILLER!!!
Established Member
Yeah If I had that engine in my car. My system would help me out alot!

001.jpg

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
I think a much more sane idea like a focus similar to the VW golf VR6 would be better. with aluminum block 2.5 v6 in the place of the iron 2.0 zetec, u get similar weight distiribution. much more needed space in the engine bay for upgrades/maintanace. keep it FWD and save the money... anyone agree?

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I think a much more sane idea like a focus similar to the VW golf VR6 would be better. with aluminum block 2.5 v6 in the place of the iron 2.0 zetec, u get similar weight distiribution. much more needed space in the engine bay for upgrades/maintanace. keep it FWD and save the money... anyone agree?

Have you ever seen under the hood of a 2.5 Contour? You'd probably have more room with the RWD V8 setup.

The SVT Contour V6 swap has also been done in a Focus already.

And in fact the weight distribution works out better with the RWD V8 due to the added mass of the rear axle to balance out the weight of the V8.

In the Autoweek test of the Terminator Focus it actually had better skidpad numbers with the V8 than a stock FWD 4 cylinder car.

Rob_eaton

Co$w0rtHy
Established Member
sick shit...but too pricey to do on your own... ford should have made a few v6 RWD focii like renault does with its clio in europe (top of the range, RWD, midengine)...

got a link for that svt contour v6 focus? i wanna see that one

Last edited:

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
sick shit...but too pricey to do on your own... ford should have made a few v6 RWD focii like renault does with its clio in europe (top of the range, RWD, midengine)...

got a link for that svt contour v6 focus? i wanna see that one

Ford did build a Focus with a V6, it was also done with an SVT Contour 2.5 but it was apparently just a test mule.

Focus Salvage built one a few years ago but it looks like their website is closed down now.

I did a yahoo image search for V6 Focus and found this,
100_0808.gif

Last edited:

jasonpalamar

Established Member
this thread hasn't been touched in a year, I doubt there will be updates. But.... there have been alot of V8 conversions done. You can find them on on youtube.com

qachargh

Established Member
I remember reading the article about the Ford Racing RS and the Gallardo. The first thing I thought about when I bought my SVTF was swapping in an Aluminator with a Lysholm. 800 HP in a car that small would be the world's most spectacular fireball waiting to happen.

ucntseemeee

2003 SVT Focus
Established Member
i'll tell ya, that SVTC 2.5 swap is more common than one would think... i've seen quite a few of those online, never in person. But would love to drive/ride in one. i bet it hauls quite a bit of ass!!

Users who are viewing this thread