Checking out a 2014 GT500 this weekend

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Lmao, nice. Already have a mechanic ready to check her out when i go to test drive it. My plan for the car, if everything works out, is to keep as is except to detune it w/ a safe and conservative 93 oct tune. roads here year around are absolute trash and I don’t plan on tracking it. Just cruisin round like and old bastard till i leave.

No suspension mods, asking 46k

at that price snatch it up if it is mechanically sound.
Great color as well

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
18K miles...does it have the stock clutch? If it does...will need to be replaced very soon.
This is definitely a YMMV thing...

I'm at 35K miles on my stock clutch, and it's still holding strong. I logged about 25 (1/2- and 1-mile) race passes at the stock power level. At about 19K miles, I installed "standard" bolt-ons (i.e., JLT 127mm CF CAI, CFM Twin Jet 67mm TB, VMP 2.4" Upper, 90mm Idler, BPS Oversized & Ported Plenum/Elbow, NGK TR7-IX plugs, VMP Triple-Pass Dual-Fan H/E, and Reische 170' Tstat), after which she made 733 RWHP & 713 RWTQ on a custom dyno tune. I've logged about 10 (1/2-mile) race passes since then, at the upgraded power level. Still, no indication of clutch problems.

OTOH, a local friend fried the clutch in his similarly modified 2014, after only a handful of 1/2-mile passes.
You're probably going to experience some gear whine with the 3.73s... This is normal.
:iagree:
, which is why my 3.73 gear set is still on a shelf in my garage.

Can't bring myself to risk the dreaded gear whine...

railroad

Established Member
It has been so long, I forgot about the clutch assist spring.
I removed mine and it helped make the clutch engagement leg work more linear.
With the spring installed as from the manufacturer, the push back on letting the clutch out increases about mid way of travel.
If you are not used to increase, it is easy to kill the engine, like a novice clutch user.
If you need or want to remove this spring, find some instructions.
There are some plastic parts that will break, if you get heavy handed.

Great price?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
With the spring installed as from the manufacturer, the push back on letting the clutch out increases about mid way of travel.
If you are not used to increase, it is easy to kill the engine, like a novice clutch user.
:iagree:

While heavier, I much-prefer the clutch's linear engagement without the spring.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Sorry, havent been able to look at it yet. Been snowing the last 2 days and wont stop till Wednesday . I’ll be looking at it Monday and bringing it to the mechanic to do compression test ect.

You’ve spoke with the owner and he’s cool with this?

I personally would not let anyone start ripping it apart to examine it. Especially someone I don’t know.

Kevinbonds

Established Member

I personally would not let anyone start ripping it apart to examine it. Especially someone I don’t know.
Same, when I bought my GT500 the owner met me at my mechanic, I gave him a deposit and car was considered sold to me unless bad compression test. No way I would let my car out of my sight and let a mechanic start taking out the plugs etc.

imstillclowning

Established Member

Great price?

I personally would not let anyone start ripping
Same, when I bought my GT500 the owner met me at my mechanic, I gave him a deposit and car was considered sold to me unless bad compression test. No way I would let my car out of my sight and let a mechanic start taking out the plugs etc.
This is exactly what our arrangement is. Sorry for the confusion yall!

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Good luck. Hope it all works out smoothly. Great color too.

Those hot rods are gorgeous monsters.

imstillclowning

Established Member
So done the deed and everything came out great! The prior owner was a lil bummed out but thats to be expected aint it. The compression test came back and all cylinders were 100 except for #2 , if I remember correctly. It was down 1-2%. The mechanic said the Interior was a lil moist but im addressing that already. I wasn’t able to run it hard to see if there was clutch slippage as its been snowing the past 2 days and wont stop till Wednesday. Appreciate everyone takin the time and slappin me with some of that GT500 knowledge.

Gonna be hard tryin to sleep tonight!

Attachments

• 53E314B2-877F-423A-8394-EFFE012E6903.jpeg
    53E314B2-877F-423A-8394-EFFE012E6903.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 69
  • E53E0F6A-3036-4FCA-A6E5-1414C7C75B42.jpeg
    E53E0F6A-3036-4FCA-A6E5-1414C7C75B42.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 69

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
So done the deed and everything came out great! The prior owner was a lil bummed out but thats to be expected aint it. The compression test came back and all cylinders were 100 except for #2 , if I remember correctly. It was down 1-2%. The mechanic said the Interior was a lil moist but im addressing that already. I wasn’t able to run it hard to see if there was clutch slippage as its been snowing the past 2 days and wont stop till Wednesday. Appreciate everyone takin the time and slappin me with some of that GT500 knowledge.

So awesome. Many people get on here with pipe dreams, than don't do the deed.

imstillclowning

Established Member
So awesome. Many people get on here with pipe dreams, than don't do the deed.
Yea it was actually a hard decision at first. I was about to trade in my 2019 Ranger on a new Maverick because my wife gets a discount on new cars. Was just waiting for the truck to get to the dealership to do the deal lol.

Kevinbonds

Established Member

Nice looking vehicle, congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread