Chester Linkin Park Lead Singer Dead

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON IN THE MUSIC WORLD?!?!

It's said to see yet another musician from my teen years take his own life. I grew up listening to Linkin Park, specifically Hybrid Theory which was a great album. RIP Chester..

This world is something I have a bit of insight on. People who come up with such emotional music are inspired by big events in their life. Certainly there are various degrees to this. Some song writers pull from only certain experiences in their lives. Others, "wear their heart on their sleeve" and pour all their life experiences into the songs they write. Now this is certainly not true for all song writers, but you will find that some of the most successful ones pull from great amounts of pain/trouble in their life. Obviously this can cause incredible amounts of stress to someone. This is also complicated by the fact there are different levels of minds people can have, and depending which level you are on, it can greatly affect your life.

Zemedici

Established Member
This world is something I have a bit of insight on. People who come up with such emotional music are inspired by big events in their life. Certainly there are various degrees to this. Some song writers pull from only certain experiences in their lives. Others, "wear their heart on their sleeve" and pour all their life experiences into the songs they write. Now this is certainly not true for all song writers, but you will find that some of the most successful ones pull from great amounts of pain/trouble in their life. Obviously this can cause incredible amounts of stress to someone. This is also complicated by the fact there are different levels of minds people can have, and depending which level you are on, it can greatly affect your life.

Obvious post is obvious

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
To be fair, mental health professionals are not dealing with an exact science. Medicine is not an A + B = C.

To be fair, mental health professionals have training and an education and while not perfect, their ability is better than your average person.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Obvious post is obvious

Oh sorry about that, we must not be on the same intellectual level.

Apparently he was great friends with Chris Cornell, and today would have been Cornell's 53rd birthday.

I just dont understand how these stars with any sort of therapy access you could imagine still commit suicide. All he had to do was talk to someone....he leaves behind SIX children.

Wait, I found proof we aren't. Brilliant gems like this statement above tells me all I need to know. This statement is almost as smart as someone going up to Stephen Hawking and asking him why he isn't up running around with the rest of us. I mean, Hawking has to have access to the most intelligent minds on this planet. Surely someone can fix him...

Zemedici

Established Member
Oh sorry about that, we must not be on the same intellectual level.

Wait, I found proof we aren't. Brilliant gems like this statement above tells me all I need to know. This statement is almost as smart as someone going up to Stephen Hawking and asking him why he isn't up running around with the rest of us. I mean, Hawking has to have access to the most intelligent minds on this planet. Surely someone can fix him...

Lolol there ya go. Definitely not on the same level....it was a remark about the artists access to resources most people don't have that could have helped him. You don't agree that's true?

And to compare a severe physical ailment such as ALS to a potential chemical imbalance in the mind or suppressed severe trauma from childhood, is trivial, and comical. Keep it up there bud, you're doing a great job. Hahahahaha two completely separate conditions that require different treatments. You going to suggest something like Heather Mills should just grow her leg back? :D

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Ya...no (to the guy two posts above).

The Hawking example is not germane with the ongoing discussion unless, of course, science now has a way to make him regain his functions. Medicine and therapy works very well with depressed individuals though so it isn't crazy nor absurd to ask why the rich musician didn't use what was available and productive.

Zemedici

Established Member

The Hawking example is not germane with the ongoing discussion unless, of course, science now has a way to make him regain his functions. Medicine and therapy works very well with depressed individuals though so it isn't crazy nor absurd to ask why the rich musician didn't use what was available and productive.

Which is what I was referring to with my statement that @Snagged decided to attempt to misconstrue.

Excellent post sir.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I almost forgot about this thread.

Lolol there ya go. Definitely not on the same level....it was a remark about the artists access to resources most people don't have that could have helped him. You don't agree that's true?

And to compare a severe physical ailment such as ALS to a potential chemical imbalance in the mind or suppressed severe trauma from childhood, is trivial, and comical. Keep it up there bud, you're doing a great job. Hahahahaha two completely separate conditions that require different treatments. You going to suggest something like Heather Mills should just grow her leg back? :D

I know what your comment was about, that was never in question. It's why I made the exact statement I did because I figured I would get these very responses. It helps drive home my point. Just because he had a lot of money doesn't mean there is a fix for him out there (read my comments to SolarYellow below). Just as there are no cures for some diseases out there, there are no "fixes" for some mental problems. There are coping mechanisms, yes, but that can only go so far. Going through life with something weighing so heavily on you mentally can really tear someone apart. Especially after years and years of it pounding away on your mind. I wouldn't be so quick to judge someone until you've "walked in their shoes." It's very easy to sit back and say, "Well he should have tried this and that." We don't know what he's been through and what events took place in his life.

It's extremely germane. Not all mental problems can be fixed. Just as there are some diseases there aren't cures for, there are mental problems there is no amount of therapy and drugs (redressing the chemical levels in someone's brain) can fix. Going to therapy isn't an automatic fix, no matter how many appointments that are gone to or how much money you have. Someone doesn't just go to X amount of therapy sessions for a certain mental problem and they are righted. There are a lot of different therapy choices out there. Picking one over the other is a huge task alone. The path you decide to take might make your situation better or make it even worse. None of us know the hell this guy was living in. Whatever it was, it must have been tremendous mental torture for him to take his own life when knowing he had so many positives checked off in life's "win column."

Also, depression is only one thing in the big mix of mental problems a person can have. There are many different mental problems. Some mental trauma can't be turned on and off like a light switch with drugs and therapy.

As pointed out in my first post, there are different mental levels people are on. A horrible event one person might go through won't affect a second person the same way. For some, that very same event may not even register as a traumatic event. Point being, mental trauma isn't very quantifiable. Living with mental pain like he must have had is something that cannot be explained, especially to someone who isn't familiar with minds writers/inventors/comedians/actors/physicists/musicians tend to have. Minds like what these people can have are on a higher plane of thinking. When a typical person experiences a traumatic event, it's incredibly hard for them to get past and cope with. Throw in a traumatic event into the mix with someone who has a mind that thinks on a higher plane and it will wreak unimaginable havoc on them. There are good reasons why you see so many actors and musicians with drug problems (cocaine, alcohol, heroin...).

Users who are viewing this thread