Chevy Corvette ZR1 Just Smashed the Ford GT's VIR Lap Record

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
From my point of view: I would have liked to have purchased a new FGT from Ford. I applied to do so. I would have driven the car, not flipped it for a profit; I would have taken it to track days, hooned it around the twisties, and generally put it to the use it's designed for.

Ford turned me down - flat - and sold cars to folks who do none of those things. That did not endear them to me in the slightest.

Fast forward a bit - Chevrolet offers the ZR1. There's no application process, it's less than 1/3 the price of the FGT, it's faster(ish) than the FGT, and the wait time is measured in months not years. I buy one.

The end result is: I do not have a FGT, I do have a ZR1, and I'm irritated at Ford.

Doesn't seem like a great outcome for Ford, if I'm honest...
It sounded to me like DBK was stating Ford had not decided who the final allocations would go to as of yet.

Would you be interested if offered at this point?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
So here I am, thinking there was video for the GT VIR run, I searched "ford gt VIR" and a bunch of ZR1 beats the ford GT results comes up. Is there a video out as yet or no?
No video. It was not a Ford marketing attempt, or even a best lap. One lap showing what it could do.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
It sounded to me like DBK was stating Ford had not decided who the final allocations would go to as of yet.

Would you be interested if offered at this point?

Sure. But it's not going to happen.

smitty2919

Established Member
All boils down to track time...ZR1 beat the GT, period...regardless if GM was trying and Ford was not. As it stands, the GT was slower AT THIS POINT IN TIME. If Ford wants to take the record back, then go do it.

Document that it was a production vehicle, on slicks or not, and post a time. It needs to be simplified.

If GM did the record with a professional driver, with slicks, with multiple cars over multiple days, then fine. But from a marketing standpoint that would not hold as much weight as doing it with a "engineer" driving on production tires with one car in one day.

These arguments get blown way out of proportion with random stuff. Post the facts IMO.

Production vehicle yes or no
Production tires yes or no
Treadware of said tires
Who the driver is his/her experience
Number of laps ran
Any modifications in excess of what you can buy in OEM trim.
Time of lap

I think the point of all of this is for any OEM to come out and say "This new factory spec XXXXX set a lap record of XXXX at XXXX track with our OEM ftest driver." Alluding to the fact that if you go out and buy said car, you have the tool (car) to click off those lap times. Clearly driver mod is needed but otherwise it's possible.

What is a "better car" is still all subjective. All boils down to what you value in a car. All out performance? Looks? Price? Cultural status image it portrays? Resale/collectible value?

I admit, I lean toward GM. Most of my opinion stems from bang for the buck...right now as the times sit, the ZR1 is my go-to. I don't care about resale/my image to the public. But a GT at $450K range which is more in the "supercar" realm is not looking to good compared to a car half it's cost....bang for your buck PERFORMANCE wise as of now.

scn

Established Member
Jim Mero or James Mero is a racecar driver:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2316589-jim-mero.html

That thread is from 2009, so in 9 years you can bet he's probably already doubled those laps because of all the c6 and c7 corvette testing.

The plot thickens!
Jim is an accomplished driver. Not sure why anyone would be shocked by this. Most test drivers are.
That said, there is always someone faster. Jim will tell you himself that, if given a couple days, the corvette factory drivers are faster. On a track like the Ring, make that a week or two. Reality is that the factory drivers rarely have that much free time.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1462562

I kept refreshing this thread for a response, but it...got quiet.

It sure did. Lol

Too late, that mutha****er is living rent free in that head.

For some of these poor saps, that might be a good thing... lol

I thought trolling was a bannable offense, dude should get life for this thread.

Rent free, in your head. Lmao.

You remind me of Trigglypuff. Throwing a tantrum because you cant deal with hearing others opinions on the subject. Hahahahahah!

D1984

Whining
Established Member
They just need to come out with a Ford GT California Special and it will be faster, don't worry

Recon

Established Member
Interesting. I’d like to see ford put a little more effort in a lap time with the FGT. I’d still take the ZR1 over it though. But that GT is one hell of a performer.

Pick your poison.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Interesting. I’d like to see ford put a little more effort in a lap time with the FGT. I’d still take the ZR1 over it though. But that GT is one hell of a performer.

Pick your poison.

That is the beauty about this whole situation. Ford used the non track version of the Ford GT. So if something like the ZR1 came out and beat their time it would leave an out for Ford. Whether or not Ford goes back to give it a proper run with the proper car, remains to be seen (which I doubt they will). But we do know for sure there is room to improve on the Ford GT front. That is just good marketing.

Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
If the car gods ever needed to make something happen, it's getting Ben an allocation.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
So wait, everyone calls the GT "gay" because v6 but as soon as GM puts a huge ass wing on a Corvette it's "but it's so fast!"

Isnt the zr1 750+hp? Lets tune the GT for a little bit more boost and see the results....

Ford accomplished what the needed to with the GT, killing everyone at Le Man...and all the other races. They just did it again at Daytona. Noone could touch the GT cars. Their process of handing out cars for marketing purposes to "internet" people I don't agree with but they also provided cars to original owners of the 05/06.

Treynor, Ford didn't give you one because your connections with the Italians is my guess. If I google your name (google the google man, funny), all the pictures are you next to a yellow Ferrari. Considering the history of the GT and Ferrari, this makes some sense.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
So wait, everyone calls the GT "gay" because v6 but as soon as GM puts a huge ass wing on a Corvette it's "but it's so fast!"

Isnt the zr1 750+hp? Lets tune the GT for a little bit more boost and see the results....

Ford accomplished what the needed to with the GT, killing everyone at Le Man...and all the other races. They just did it again at Daytona. Noone could touch the GT cars. Their process of handing out cars for marketing purposes to "internet" people I don't agree with but they also provided cars to original owners of the 05/06.

Treynor, Ford didn't give you one because your connections with the Italians is my guess. If I google your name (google the google man, funny), all the pictures are you next to a yellow Ferrari. Considering the history of the GT and Ferrari, this makes some sense.

I remember reading that one of the Ferrari big wigs was allocated a Ford GT, so that most likely didn't play into it. @DBK

Users who are viewing this thread