Chevy Corvette ZR1 Just Smashed the Ford GT's VIR Lap Record

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
"Well I guess I'll have to cancel my new Ford GT order and get a Corvette ZR1 instead"
-said by no one in the world...

FB03C724-9757-4485-B8B2-F9FCE7231D2E.jpeg

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
It really doesn't matter what the ZR1 ran in relation to the FGT because both are amazing performance cars and stellar in their own respective right. Both have differing pros and cons for different people. It's incredible the ZR1 not only beat the FGT's time but also many other supercars on VIR's fast list. On the flip side, it's also incredible the FGT did so well against many other super cars at VIR with simply a blown V6 (that in itself is amazing to me).

Both claim they weren't even trying with times so it sounds like both camps have a little more "left on the table", perhaps. And I'm trying to be as unbiased I can be with this, lol, but it just sounds like there is more "left on the table" for the FGT than the ZR1. Ford using the non track car for the FGT just sticks out in my mind in HUGE way for me and seems like they could greatly, relatively speaking, improve on their time.

But at the end of the day, who cares? Both cars are ones I can't afford and very likely won't get in the future, lol. How much are the new ZR1's expected to cost anyways?

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
LOL there's some inflammation and vaginal bruising in this thread. Carry on...

$400k hand built supercar getting slapped around a track by a mass produced car at a fraction of the cost. The irony..

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL there's some inflammation and vaginal bruising in this thread. Carry on...

$400k hand built supercar getting slapped around a track by a mass produced car at a fraction of the cost. The irony..

I'm sure you realize that they weren't ran under any where near comparable conditions, right?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
ON D BIT having a full meltdown because an engineer driving a blue collar full blooded American car kills the record set by a PRO driver in the exotic-like “invite-only” imported FGT.
Lol, all the sudden it’s a big issue that the GT is built in Canada. What’s the big deal zyborg? Your 5th gen camaro was built in Canada too.

And lol at GM fans saying ford used a pro driver to do their testing, as if Jim Mero is a shitty driver. that guy is every bit as good as a racing driver. He will know the car more than a pro driver, spends hundreds of hours testing and his input is what goes into the final product. Jim has an awesome job setting all the lap times in multiple generation corvettes. Whether it has a “track alignment” or not. LOL

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Should have put a V8 in the ford GT. Ford can keep their V6 ford GT as far as I am concerned. They should have TT a 5.3L Coyote based motor.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol, all the sudden it’s a big issue that the GT is built in Canada. What’s the big deal zyborg? Your 5th gen camaro was built in Canada too.

And lol at GM fans saying ford used a pro driver to do their testing, as if Jim Mero is a shitty driver. that guy is every bit as good as a racing driver. He will know the car more than a pro driver, spends hundreds of hours testing and his input is what goes into the final product. Jim has an awesome job setting all the lap times in multiple generation corvettes. Whether it has a “track alignment” or not. LOL

1. It is not a big deal. Just providing cold hard data.

2. I dont have a Camaro.

3. Pro driver > Engineer when it comes to driving. Engineer > Pro driver when it comes to engineering.

blk02edge

Established Member
3. Pro driver > Engineer when it comes to driving. Engineer > Pro driver when it comes to engineering.
Not true. Ive first hand seen amatuers with only a year of seat time catch up to the pros instructing them. One case at my track a buddy of mine is currently an entire 2 seconds faster than what two pro drivers have done in his own car. I was 4 seconds off my first ever time in his car as well (formula ford).

Job title doesnt mean you are the best even though Billy J is practically the best. Calling the GM engineer a blue collar driver is another example of your trollyness

Ill add a lot of the best drivers also know their shit when it comes to engineering, understanding what your car is doing and being able to properly relay that info makes and breaks a lot of smaller time race teams in gt3 cup and other spec classes

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Not true. Ive first hand seen amatuers with only a year of seat time catch up to the pros instructing them. One case at my track a buddy of mine is currently an entire 2 seconds faster than what two pro drivers have done in his own car. I was 4 seconds off my first ever time in his car as well (formula ford).

Job title doesnt mean you are the best even though Billy J is practically the best. Calling the GM engineer a blue collar driver is another example of your trollyness

Dont venture into managing race teams... firing pro drivers and hiring regular joes....

You wont do very well bro...

P.S: please show me where I called the GM engineer “a blue collar driver”.

Z06

Established Member
lets all hug it out fellas, at least those of us who can afford have 2 bad ass options!

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
2. I dont have a Camaro.

Doesnt drive an American car and cries about he Ford GT not being American. Wait, what about your Tacoma? Where's that built? MUAHHAHA

I bolded your third part, because:
Dont venture into managing race teams... firing pro drivers and hiring regular joes....
Annnd this is how you got the name sighborg
Better hit GM up on twitter and tell them how to really manage a team, I mean they've been doing wrong for over a decade having a engineer/test driver running the lap times.

LOL at Jim Mero being a regular Joe. GM really ****ed up having that guy set all the fastest times huh?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Doesnt drive an American car and cries about he Ford GT not being American. Wait, what about your Tacoma? Where's that built? MUAHHAHA

I bolded your third part, because:

Annnd this is how you got the name sighborg
Better hit GM up on twitter and tell them how to really manage a team, I mean they've been doing wrong for over a decade having a engineer/test driver running the lap times.

LOL at Jim Mero being a regular Joe. GM really ****ed up having that guy set all the fastest times huh?

My truck was built in Texas, although not sure how that is relevant to a conversation about a sports car and an exotic and a record at a track.

Quaa... Quaaaa! On the “sighborg”.... Lame attempt on that bro.

I dont need to tell GM anything, obviously they are doing something right to get you all hot and bothered like this. Lol....

P.S: please show me where I said Jim Mero is a regular Joe.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
if the ZR1 is hurting this many feelings what will happen when the new mid engine vette (zora) comes out with the TT DOHC 5.5l v8? It will be the end of days

blk02edge

Established Member

P.S: please show me where I called the GM engineer “a blue collar driver”.
Let me ask, what hands on experience do you have with road courses and pro drivers that makes you an expert at this topic. Btw all this said, I do believe the zr1 is and will continue to be the faster car. Its just the arguments made are just so wrong. On both sides actually.

blk02edge

Established Member
if the ZR1 is hurting this many feelings what will happen when the new mid engine vette (zora) comes out with the TT DOHC 5.5l v8? It will be the end of days
Only if they build it as radical as the ZR1/ACR with extreme aero and solid mounted everything

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Race car driver and driving dynamics engineering roles are not mutually exclusive. Everyone employs fast drivers who translate feedback from vehicle dynamics into actionable information. Johnson does it for Ford on a variety of cars, same as Mero does for GM. Gene Martindale used to do it for FP and despite just being a lowly driving dynamics engineer, he was still brutally fast on a track dating back to his time racing Vipers. By GMs own admission, Mero is somewhere north of 15,000 track laps in Corvettes and they use him for most of their marketing videos including the Ring. What do you think your level of expertise would be after 15,000+ laps in any car if your only job was to maximize performance in that car? It's a nonsense discussion, but it's to be expected based on the source. There's a reason when top level talent jumps from one series to another, they don't just show up and immediately blow away track records; experts are crafted in the hardware they know. Fact is, you don't get that job on a car like Corvette unless you're in the top 1% of the top 1% of drivers. I don't think there's 25 drivers globally that work for Ford who are rated as a tier 4 driver.

I don't expect people who don't really know much about cars beyond internet trolling to know this kind of stuff, even though it's stuff the simplest mind should be able to grasp. Chris Goodwin at Mac, Raffaele de Simone at Ferrari, Valentino Balboni at Lambo for years, Chris Poritt back in the day for AM...everyone has their guys they use to ring shit out and they know the cars better than anyone. I'm sure GM was out there just toodling around, which is why the car had non-OEM seats and harnesses. Just like Billy hopping in wearing a t-shirt and a lap belt...
IMG_7693.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread