Chevy Corvette ZR1 Just Smashed the Ford GT's VIR Lap Record

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Let me ask, what hands on experience do you have with road courses and pro drivers that makes you an expert at this topic. Btw all this said, I do believe the zr1 is and will continue to be the faster car. Its just the arguments made are just so wrong. On both sides actually.

Please show me where I said that I was an expert at this topic?

What was it exactly that I said that rustled your jimmies?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Maximum excuses.... ACTIVATED!!!

Lol...

What fanboys fail to realize is that EVEN IF, the FGT had the ZR1 lap time and the ZR1 had th FGT lap time, this would still be a major fail in the eyes of masses.

The exotic FGT should have DESTROYED the vette’s lap times.... instead of having fanboys make excuses as to why the vette took its “crown” at the track.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Maximum excuses.... ACTIVATED!!!

Lol...

What fanboys fail to realize is that EVEN IF, the FGT had the ZR1 lap time and the ZR1 had th FGT lap time, this would still be a major fail in the eyes of masses.

The exotic FGT should have DESTROYED the vette’s lap times.... instead of having fanboys make excuses as to why the vette took its “crown” at the track.

Cool, now do Ferrari.

Coiled03

Established Member
Race car driver and driving dynamics engineering roles are not mutually exclusive.

The SHOULDN'T be mutually exclusive. The best race car drivers give the best feedback to the race engineers. Maybe they don't have a fancy title behind their names, but they know what needs to be done to the car, many times. They're almost like additional race engineers that happen to drive fast, too.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
bro sighborg bro, why you never track your SS 1LE? Do you still have the GT500?

Btw, Ford didnt fail at anything, IF ford did fail, that means the cars it is quicker than on the track failed as well. This isnt a biased logic, that only goes against ford. It goes against the LaFerrari and Mac P1 too. cmon bro.
Also, those people that spent $400k, do you really think they will lose out when it comes to sell time? I dont care if they had to wait 5 years to sell, the car will increase in value just like the '05/'06 GT. I just hope my biper goes up in value too.

08mojo

Established Member
The ZR1 was straight getting it to run that time at VIR. If the FGT was 'casually' driving to achieve a 1 second slower lap time, I'd like to see the video.

The cool part to me: I could someday own the ZR1. Sure,its price is high, but not unobtainable like the FGT. The fact that the ZR1 is even close to the performance of the FGT is simply badass.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
The ZR1 was straight getting it to run that time at VIR. If the FGT was 'casually' driving to achieve a 1 second slower lap time, I'd like to see the video.

The cool part to me: I could someday own the ZR1. Sure,its price is high, but not unobtainable like the FGT. The fact that the ZR1 is even close to the performance of the FGT is simply badass.
agreed my bro! Thats the only thing I hate about these ultra bad ass cars. The ZR1 is more within reach vs a 400k car.

GM bros, Ford might have duped the world the whole time, there is no Ford GT video of the lap!! Billy johnson could have taken that picture from inside a ZR1.

blk02edge

Established Member
Please show me where I said that I was an expert at this topic?

What was it exactly that I said that rustled your jimmies?
You havent which is why I assume none, which lead me to the question on why someone with zero real time knolwedge should be debating like hes the obvious victor of debate.

Good game, "smacks ass"

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
You havent which is why I assume none, which lead me to the question on why someone with zero real time knolwedge should be debating like hes the obvious victor of debate.

Good game, "smacks ass"

Any chance you can smack my ass too? I'd feel left out otherwise.

blk02edge

Established Member
Lol...

Sorry, I can’t find a way to muster the courage to try and rationalize comparing a lowly GM (or Ford product for that matter) to a Ferrari.

You are on your own for that brosipher.
Why not? Ferrari doesn't fall under the same criteria? They are just as expensive or more and are even slower, by your logic they must be total garbage
Anyone buy a ZR1 yet? How about a FGT?
Theres, two people on this very site that have bought a GT and another that tried...

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Lol...

Sorry, I can’t find a way to muster the courage to try and rationalize comparing a lowly GM (or Ford product for that matter) to a Ferrari.

I like you Zyborg, even if you are a troll, but you are wrong here.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member

Everything that's old is new again.

I remember having this discussion many times circa 2005 with Ferrari guys. You should go ask them how their Ferrari 360s are doing now.

Come over some time, I'll show you the side-by-side difference between artwork (Ford GT) and mass market (Ferrari). Different levels.

Ford:
32299390483_4756b62851_b.jpg

32299391373_5191b84f99_b.jpg

32988159011_910d53ef7c_b.jpg

33115241035_7e9df1c001_b.jpg

vs.

Ferrari:
32299391633_6f379ebcc9_b.jpg

32988160231_40d32c507c_b.jpg

32988159711_f1f4eecbe6_b.jpg

32988155291_985dda959e_b.jpg

32299389653_af6efc74f0_b.jpg

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I like you Zyborg, even if you are a troll, but you are wrong here.

Haha.... nice!

Can Ford/GM performance numbers be compared to Ferrari’s, sure....

But unfortunately for us (Ford/GM), the Ferrari brand is on another level.

There is more to owning cars than just performance figures.

Neither Ford, nor GM, have the allure that Ferrari does. Unfortunately.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Everything that's old is new again.

I remember having this discussion many times circa 2005 with Ferrari guys. You should go ask them how their Ferrari 360s are doing now.

Come over some time, I'll show you the side-by-side difference between artwork (Ford GT) and mass market (Ferrari). Different levels.

Ford:
View attachment 1462459

View attachment 1462460

View attachment 1462461

View attachment 1462462

vs.

Ferrari:
View attachment 1462463

View attachment 1462464

View attachment 1462465

View attachment 1462466

View attachment 1462467

No doubt the Ford GT is a fantastic product. I see it as an exotic.

But lets not compare Ford’s (or should I say multimatic’s) best car to an old crusty Ferrari.

Lets compare apples to apples:

FGT vs La Ferrari.

I dont know about you, but with money being no object, I’ll take the Ferrari.

blk02edge

Established Member
Haha.... nice!

Can Ford/GM performance numbers be compared to Ferrari’s, sure....

But unfortunately for us (Ford/GM), the Ferrari brand is on another level.

You are saying the gt40 doesnt have as much prestige? Lets not forget the GT isnt even a ford (your words) Last time I checked a classic gt40 is worth around 10 mill. When I see ferraris/mclarens (dozens every weekend from spring to fall) I do not see a superior car to the GT. Id also wager all the 675lt/720s owners ive met would drop their cars for a chance to own the GT.

Laferrari is a much larger price difference between GT than GT is to the zr1.. What happened with your opinion on price making GT inferior? GT will turn a faster lap than a laf 9 times out of 10

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
No doubt the Ford GT is a fantastic product. I see it as an exotic.

But lets not compare Ford’s (or should I say multimatic’s) best car to an old crusty Ferrari.

Lets compare apples to apples:

FGT vs La Ferrari.

I dont know about you, but with money being no object, I’ll take the Ferrari.

You're still just trolling here. You went from the GT sucks to it's a fantastic product. That's not an "old crusty" Ferrari. It's a 1200 mile 458 Spider that I'm looking at 15 feet away. It was about $350,000 new. Significantly closer in price to the GT than a LaFerrari. There is no comparison. Look at any series production Ferrari and it's the same shit.

You're also trolling on the MM bit. I know you're not really well-informed on this stuff but I'm around MM quite a bit, and when I am, everybody is in their orbit. Do you think GT is more prestigious than a 2.5 million Euro AMG Project One? Because they are up to their eyeballs in that one too. Ditto on the AM Valkyrie. MM does a ton of shit for everyone, GM included, Ford just isn't obsessed with hiding it. You won't see Ferrari sportscar talking about their MM suspension components. MM even gets cheeky in their race publications ads saying congrats to the customers they can name and the customers they can't. I know a ton of Ford guys who've worked 24/7 on GT for several years. It's disrespectful for the uninformed to act like it's an MM project. It's a partnership with an organization very accomplished in racing, which is what you need building a homologation special.

I'm flattered that you would consider the GT apples to apples with LaFerrari. The base price on GT is about $1 million dollars less. Says a lot that you consider them as worthy of comparison.

Is that true? What's worth more? A 2005/2006 GT or any comparable mid-engine V8 Ferrari of the era? 360, 360CS, 430, 430 Scud...I'll save you the trouble; it's the Ford, by a very large margin. People have paid 8 figures for original GT40s. It wouldn't take 15 minutes to sell the 17 at $750,000 over MSRP right now.

You're right though that this is not something you could experience with a GM product, which goes back to your original point that there's more to owning cars than a number.

Users who are viewing this thread