Chin splitter: on or off?

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
A quick question, when taking your R out for a Sunday drive, a car show, cruise night, etc. do you leave the splitter on or off? I know most of you live in warmer climates than here in Mass., and the roads are probably in better shape too! Just wondering. Thanks

Andy M

Established Member
Mine stays on the car at all times, unless it needs to come off for maintenance reasons. And since I live in Houston TX, no snow to worry about?! :p ;-)

Cobra-R

Established Member
Off, only driven my car twice with it on. Once to a car show(on nice roads) and once on the track. Otherwise it stays off and packed away for safe keeping.

TcM-668

Mine stays off since I got tired of hearing it hit everything...

I do miss the look though...I guess I should get a replacement and just quit whining...hehehehe

Oh Yeah, if you are going to be driving it hard with the splitter on it, you might need to see about bracing the front fascia. It will help keep things together and keep from tearing up the fascia.

Don ...

Andy M

Established Member
Joe Johnson and I finally got our new splitters in from Ford Racing (ordered at Tommie Vaughn in Houston). It came in a large box with all of the necessary hardware including all new DZUS fasteners, the forks, rivets, etc...

We will be bringing our splitters to the same place to get them fixed (the old ones have small cracks on the corners) and painted, along with the new ones.

Then, I plan to keep my new one in the box for use only at car shows and as a spare. I also have a third splitter with no hardware that I plan to get painted also. I will be calling the guy Kevin told us about to get a hardware box for it.

I will then have three fully configured splitters for my car. The original one once repaired and re-painted will go back on the car for street and track use. The two new ones will go into storage for spares and for show use.

1Fast R

Hi, Bill has 2 splitters. He will use one for shows and will use the 2nd one for daily use as the bottom of it has scratches on it. When he has the splitter on, he cannot get the car out of the driveway or into the driveway without scratching the bottom. So he either puts it on out in the street or puts some boards down. I think people enjoy seeing the R with the splitter on going down the road as that is the way she is suppose to look! I love to see people's faces when they see the car and know what it is! They cannot believe their eyes that they have actually seen one in person! :lol:

Vicki

svtguy

Established Member
ON for car shows and easy street driving.

OFF when at the track.

BTW, my splitter is kind of a pain to install, but then once on, just undo the fasteners and it almost falls off.

Paul

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Until I stiffen up the fascia, mine's staying off....I once knocked the entire fascia loose at the fender....
There's no question about it, the car just looks awesome with it on, and pretty much like a regular mustang with it off....but local driving beats the crap out of it....the darn gas stations and stores in NJ all seem to have raised entrances :mj:

Andy M

Established Member
Folks,

Joe J and I just dropped off our splitters at Magnolia Paint and Body to get them painted. Will post pics when we get them back late next week. Basically, they will repair both mine and Joe's which are the original splitters which came on the cars, and then repaint them. Joe also got a new one from Ford Racing and I had two new ones, and they will be spraying these also. All total, 5 splitters with new paint on them!!

Now I just need to call Ford Racing to get another complete set of hardware... for my second splitter.

cobrar154

:bash:
we leave our splitter hanging on the wall in the garage. we used to keep it on all the time until a 145 MPH blast down I-35 in Ft. Worth caused the upper brackets to break in half pulling down the entire fascia, and dragging the splitter at 145 isn't pleasant....
:burn:

Users who are viewing this thread