chirping noise in the engine bay

infidel0910

Established Member
At first I thought the chirping noise was the TOB but it sounds like its one of the pulleys. It happens upon start up and varies a little with rpm and clutch pedal pressure, but soon disappears once the cars gets warmed up, then its completely gone. My question is, are there any common or regular problems with a particular pulley or aftermarket pulley bearing. If anyone has had a similar problem and solved it, please let me know. If it helps its an eaton steggy V with 2.93 uppper and 4# lower and idlers, all are billetflow. Any info would be appreciated.

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
Ive had a slight chirp on a cold start and it disappears after a few minutes. My idlers have new bearings and my belt is fairly new as well. Im convinced it may be due to humidity in the air overnight.

89slowgt331

Established Member
At first I thought the chirping noise was the TOB but it sounds like its one of the pulleys. It happens upon start up and varies a little with rpm and clutch pedal pressure, but soon disappears once the cars gets warmed up, then its completely gone. My question is, are there any common or regular problems with a particular pulley or aftermarket pulley bearing. If anyone has had a similar problem and solved it, please let me know. If it helps its an eaton steggy V with 2.93 uppper and 4# lower and idlers, all are billetflow. Any info would be appreciated.

Buy some cricket flush for your engine, work's wonder's! :-D

d-nice

Established Member
There are also pulley's behind the front ones, behind the front cage/bracket. I may be one of those.

infidel0910

Established Member
I checked as Many pullies from the top as possible so far. I did check the front and back rows with a stethoscope but couldnt find it. So I'm guessing it not an easily accessible one or I'm completely off altogether lol. Either way the car only has 20 k on her and if its one thing I can't stand it's having my dream car annoy the shot outta me. It's always something.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
im willing to bet its your belt doing the chirping.

i just got done fixing the same issue on my car. it all started when i put a BRAND NEW gates belt on my car. as soon as i would start the car...squeek, squeek, squeek. once the car warmed up, it would go away. i figured no way it could be the belt, since the belt was new. after some trouble shooting...it turns out it was the belt after all. i ordered a gatorback belt, and as soon as i put it on...no more squeek...and havent heard it again since!

edit: not trying to bash gates belts. the belt i had on before the squeeking belt, was also a gates belt. that belt never squeeked at all. i have no clue why the new one did, but it did...and a gatorback belt resolved the issue.

Last edited:

infidel0910

Established Member
I had considered the belt, but it only has 10k or less on the belt. Unless the SC belt wears out quicker???? I'm gonna troubleshoot both belts and see where I'm at. Info is much appreciated guys.

NJredfire03

Established Member
i have the EXACT same thing going on with my car and posted about it. i have yet had time to troubleshoot whats going on. i can imagine its my belt cause its from the factory. other people say it could be pulley bearings. if you or anyone has had this problem and fixed it please let me know in a PM or on this thread. and infadel, 2 things. one im a vet assuming that you are one and 2 this is my dream car and its always something with me too. i cant stand it and it irks me to no end.

fink46

Established Member
I had a similar problem as your having. Where the belt would squeek when first start then start to fade. I used a sprayer bottle with water and misted it on the belt while running, if the sqeek stopped briefly and came back its the belt.

I ended up changing the belt along with the idler tensioner b/c of belt slip (and the tensioner I believe was bent causing the belt to misalign) and the squeek is gone and hasnt came back.

infidel0910

Established Member
i have the EXACT same thing going on with my car and posted about it. i have yet had time to troubleshoot whats going on. i can imagine its my belt cause its from the factory. other people say it could be pulley bearings. if you or anyone has had this problem and fixed it please let me know in a PM or on this thread. and infadel, 2 things. one im a vet assuming that you are one and 2 this is my dream car and its always something with me too. i cant stand it and it irks me to no end.

Yes I am a vet. Just got outta the Marine Corps a few months ago. Good taste on the dream car bro. Lol. I'm gonna do some troubleshooting. I'll hit u up if I find the culprit.

infidel0910

Established Member
I had a similar problem as your having. Where the belt would squeek when first start then start to fade. I used a sprayer bottle with water and misted it on the belt while running, if the sqeek stopped briefly and came back its the belt.

I ended up changing the belt along with the idler tensioner b/c of belt slip (and the tensioner I believe was bent causing the belt to misalign) and the squeek is gone and hasnt came back.

I'm gonna try the spray bottle and more stethoscope work and see if I can get rid of this damned noise. Thanks for the tip.

NJredfire03

Established Member
i got the time today, i'm going to try the sprayer bottle as well. see what i find. glad to see i'm not the only one with this issue, definitely seems very common now.

NJredfire03

Established Member
just got back from doing so detective work on that noise. dropped some water on one part of the belt and the sound immediately went away and then came back after a few moments after the water dried up or got spattered off the belt. next month when i have the money i will be replacing my belt. just about certain thats the issue.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
if the water stopped the noise for a min, then that means IT IS your belt making the noise, and a new/different/better belt is needed. keep in mind my last belt that was doing the squeeking was BRAND NEW. after a ton of research it seemed this happened a lot with gates belts..and everyone that it happened to (including myself) ended up switching to "gatorback" belts, which resolved the issue.

fink46

Established Member
I forgot to mention you might want to check what is causing the belt to wear out so quickly? If you have alot of black dust on the front of the supercharger or the idlers the belt is probably slipping and that will destroy the belt fast! You might need an aftermarket tensioner. the factory one is pretty weak and likes to bend if you have done a pulley swap and snub idler.

NJredfire03

Established Member
the belt is 8 yrs old with 31k miles on it. i got a 2.8 pulley with a steeda idler. i'm most definitely going to get a gatorback when i replace it. which will be ASAP

Users who are viewing this thread