Chirping Noise

7dustrox

Established Member
So I'm driving today and I notice a chirping noise that sounds likes it's coming from underneath the car or on the passenger side. The sound is similar to the sound a worn out throwout bearing makes on a manual transmission. I can't hear it when I'm crusing, only when I start to give a pretty good amount of gas. The chirping gets faster with acceleration. I put it in park and reved, and it doesn't seem to make the noise, but I think I heard it when I put it in neutral and reved. Anyone have any clue of what it might be? Thanks

Last edited:

7dustrox

Established Member
Any visible signs I should look for. I have a driveshaft shop near my house. Should I take it up there and have them take a look at it?

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
check your smog pump. Every now and then mine will start to chirp and then it goes away when it warms up. It's more noticable when it gets colder out.

7dustrox

Established Member
I'll check the pump and see if it's the culprit. I'll have to wait until next week to have that shop check the u-joint since I have to work tomorrow. Thanks guys. Any other input is welcome.

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
You can check your u joints by grabbing your drive shaft and moving it back and forth and look for any movment in the u joints, also look and see if they look worn. If there is, changing them out is really easy and cheap. Not worth paying someone to do it.

SVT99RED

Established Member
My truck made the same chirping/squeaking and it was comming from the heat shield the screws were missing so it was rubbing on the exhaust under about half throttle or bumps in the road...

7dustrox

Established Member
I'll get under it and check tomorrow. I've done a driveshaft on a mustang, just never changed the u-joints.

SVT99RED- Is the heat shield right above the headers? I'm new to these trucks, so I don't know jack about 'em.

Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread