Choice between tuners...

Travizzle

Working Class Hero
Established Member
I've narrowed it down to 2 tuners. Amazon(Anderson, SC.) and Carter Racing(Savnnah,GA.). Its a tough choice and i was hoping for some input. THANX :shrug:

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
Amazon did mine and love it.
Had others tune it as well but so far I like Ricks tune.

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
One thing is for sure,
Rick @ Amazon has been doing it longer and better than anyone else so why chance another.
I have used a few tuners and there all good but Rick is more knowledgeable and his software is more user friendly as others lock you out of the program ;)
I like being able to adjust if needed without making trips to tuner and spending more $$$.
JMO

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
One thing is for sure,
Rick @ Amazon has been doing it longer and better than anyone else so why chance another.
I have used a few tuners and there all good but Rick is more knowledgeable and his software is more user friendly as others lock you out of the program ;)
I like being able to adjust if needed without making trips to tuner and spending more $$$.
JMO

thats for sure pretty sure rick is one of the, if not the longest standing 03.04 cobra tuners out there...

hell hes the same with lightnings... i think he IS the longest standing lightning tuner out there...

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
I have never heard of Carter Racing and I thought I knew them all...

any of the other tuners mentioned will do a good job for you but if you are looking for someone with years and years of tuning experience and knowledge Rick has it...he is the longest standing 03/04 Cobra and Gen 2 Lightning tuner of record who is not the owner of a tuning company

we are also the only original supporting vendor of this site and have been giving tech advice for several years here...we appreciate having the members support us back...

you will get opinions good and bad from any tuner you ask about online therefore I would suggest that you talk to them all..decide with who you feel the most comfortable and what their tuning policy for future modifications are..

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
we come down to the track at Jackson.. it is an easy 2 hr drive for you to come up to Anderson on RT 25....

we can also email a drive to tune to you if you need it....once you become an Amazon tuning customer we never charge you again for any program changes no matter what you add to your vehicle for as long as you own it.. all you even pay again is for your dyno time

for anyone in northern GA we are only 19 miles over the northeastern GA border off I85

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
Also here are a few good questions to ask the tuners ,

Which tuner leaves the software "Open" for you if you want to make changes instead of going to there location everytime ?

Also which do you prefer, high boost for HIGH cylinder pressure with low timing ?
or
Low boost with higher timing for the exact same horsepower ?

Kenne bell / Whipple or turbo cause it makes a difference, some tuners are specific and will not bolt on competitors power adders and alter whereas some tuners will do what is asked and paid for because its your $$.

Which tuners have been around doing just cobra's/lightinings the longest and have the most experiance at these specific cars ?

And of corse price to some extent when comparing apples to apples ?

If in a pinch and don't want to take it to the tuner and you decide to use another persons dyno for testing to fix whatever , which tuner will work with you on that as far as correcting the program ?

Once you find out all these answers and probably a few of your own your set.

My Opinion is,
If I pay I want all the bells and whistles !!

Travizzle

Working Class Hero
Established Member
Thanks for all the input i think Amazon might be the best bet for me considering im really going to need a quick tune to get there, because of the fuel mods im adding. I dont think its a good idea to drive without one.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Mike over at Unique Tuning in Bluffton s.c. does a really good job as well. I personally know him and I know the people at Carter Racing. I mean either way your dealing with good people. Just whatever you do take the care there to get tuned. Dont do the e-mail tuned thing. I did that with a very reputable company and I was not pleased with the results. Unique put it on their brand new in ground dynojet and within minutes I was seeing better results. Hey my best friend lives in Augusta and Im up there a bit so Ill hit you up maybe we can hook up and check each others cars ot sometime.

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
email tunes serve a purpose..they are preliminary programs for people who need to drive to the dyno or dont have a reputable dyno tuner available to them so they have no options other than emailed tunes...this OP has already noted that he will be going to get a dyno tune..his intention for a emailed tune to for the purpose of being able to drive to the shop...

if there are issues with an emailed tune sometimes it takes some working back and forth to get it right..a prelim program is going to be very safe and a starting point..if the properly collected datalogs and AF that the tuner asks for is sent then he will eventually be able to fix the issues..if not....then it is pretty much speculation for any tuner..even the best tuner is not a mind reader or has a crystal ball ..he needs accurate and properly collected data to optimalize a tune.. mail order tuning puts alot of responsibilllity on the customer..if you are not aware of that or dont want that then mail order tuning is not going to be a good option for you...

after reading this last post it makes me wonder

#1..if there is reputable dyno tuner in the area why was a mail order tune used

#2.. is a good argument against any reputable tuners ever sending out mail order tunes unless the car is coming to that tuner's shop for dyno tuning and the customer needs a drive to program....there are many variables when a tune is done for a car that is not in the shop and hasn't had data from dyno runs..and they dont need the hit to their hard earned reputation....the only reason we havent stopped doing mail order tuning is cause there are just some people who would be SOL because they have no viable options other than emailed programs and they know that Rick will travel to them if needed...or do a remote tuning session..

Last edited:

Hawkdriver23

Established Member
No one has mentioned Tony @ HP-Perfromance in Orange Park, FL (Jacksonville) He is featured in mustang mags regularly. He also does a lot of custom fab work at resonable prices. Might be too far but still an awesome shop.

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
Amazon is the ONLY tuner to touch my Cobra!!!!!! Later, Rob

Agreed ,
He retuned my cobra that another tuner did and came up with same HP but lots more torque .
Plus I have the advantage of changing the software ( adjusting idles and other ) whereas other tuner wouldn't cause they want you to come back to them each and everytime you want to change idle or whatever.
I hate wasting time and spending more $$ than needed.

Rick is definatly top notch and on top of his game !!
Plus his helper is a great guy.

Users who are viewing this thread