CHP announces 0 Tolerance on Speeders

stevieb

Established Member
If you're travelling on Hwy 80 between SF and Reno effective this morning (4-28), the Highway patrol is cracking down on speeders with 0 tolerance.

It was just on the news and they claim they will be issueing 5X the amount of tickets, they will be using planes (old news) and something new called "LIDAR". They claim this will be able to pinpoint a single speeding car in a pack of cars, and is so high tech that they will not loose in court.

Has anyone heard of this Lidar? It is what the military uses to pinpoint targets. Maybe GI's can comment here.
I wonder if the V-1's will pick this up? If not hopefully they can be upgraded.

Damn, I travel that road often and this will take the fun out of trying to make the 225 mile trip to Reno in less than 3 hours.
:cuss:

CobraTone

Established Member
I believe LIDAR is the laser system they use. The radar detectors can detect it, but even the good ones like passport and valentine one are just telling you to pull over because it will be too late. Only way to get around that is to get a laser jammer installed in your car. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong....

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
Zero tolerance!, for a guy like me that tries to stay just 5 mph above the speed limit, that sucks. Do people try to break the sound barrier on that road or what?

MatchStick

Master of the drunken pee
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraTone
Only way to get around that is to get a laser jammer installed in your car.

Do the jammers actually work? I've always heard negative things about them.

gyacopetti

Super Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by MatchStick
Do the jammers actually work? I've always heard negative things about them.

They work. Probably most the negative things you hear about them arise because they are illegal.

stevieb

Established Member
Originally posted by Smokinbago
Zero tolerance!, for a guy like me that tries to stay just 5 mph above the speed limit, that sucks. Do people try to break the sound barrier on that road or what?
it is a heavily travelled road, like all our highways but I have seen 5-6 or more patrol cars giving tix within a couple mile area. Apparantly they must have a lot of accidents on that road

MatchStick

Established Member
Originally posted by gyacopetti
Probably most the negative things you hear about them arise because they are illegal.

Actually the most negative thing I've heard is that they dont work. :shrug:

No biggie, we dont have that problem where I live.

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
i wrote a crazy long response but my computer froze.. lemme recap:
Laser jammers are legal, its radar jammers that aren't (at least in my area) that works out for the better because radar is easier to avoid with a detector whereas with a laser detector the laser is pinpointing you and its at the speed of light so theres no hope. k40 was reviewed in a mag i read recently and got good reviews, i believe it came with a laser jammer, or it was purchased seperately but i believe it was the same company that made it at least. although the mag could have received alot of $ for writing that so i dont know =\ anywho, anyone care to explain to me the plane speed measurement technique?

MatchStick

Established Member
Originally posted by c0dy
anywho, anyone care to explain to me the plane speed measurement technique?

From the way I had it explained to me is, there are 2 lines painted on the road/highway that are at a certain distance from each other and the plane above times you from one line to another and then calculates your speed from that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

stevieb

Established Member
anywho, anyone care to explain to me the plane speed measurement technique?
The plane works like this; there are markings on the ground that the plane times how long it takes you to go from 1 mark to another. They then radio a car and tell them what car to pull over. They are sneaky, they could be miles off the hiway where you have no clue theyre there, but they know where the marks are.

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
Originally posted by Kurt Busch
Actually LIDAR jammers are legal becasue the FCC does not regulate devices that transmit infrared light. RADAR jammers are illegal because the FCC does regulate devices that transmit radio frequency energy. Case closed, LIDAR jammers are legal.
Huh... i could have sworn lidar jammers are illegal... oh well... not like i have one anyways

2814v

Established Member
Zero tolerance is happening all over the state of california. They have said it were I live and when I was in socal I heard them saying it on the radio down there. Its called we have no money because we missmanaged the state so thats impose another tax by writing as many speeding tickets as we can.

Kurt Busch

#1 CRYSTAL PALACE FAN
Established Member
Longitude: 122° 18' 50" W / Latitude: 47° 49' 16"
Originally posted by c0dy
i wrote a crazy long response but my computer froze.. lemme recap:
Laser jammers are legal, its radar jammers that aren't (at least in my area) that works out for the better because radar is easier to avoid with a detector whereas with a laser detector the laser is pinpointing you and its at the speed of light so theres no hope.

Even if the cops use LIDAR, they will have to aim the IR light to your car and keep it there for several seconds. Reason being is, because the LIDAR works based on measuring the time it takes to the IR light to travel to your car and back, but one measurement will only give them how far your car is from the stationary LIDAR unit, so it is a range finder. In order for the LIDAR to calculate your speed, it has to do several range findings subsequently.
So once your V1 goes off beeping and showing laser threat, if you slow down immediataly, there is a good chance they won't be able to get you. Unless you're doing like 100mph in which case you won't have time to slow down to legal speed.

blackjack

Established Member
Originally posted by Smokinbago

hahahaa...yep all the time!

bones

Established Member
Originally posted by 2814v
Zero tolerance is happening all over the state of california. They have said it were I live and when I was in socal I heard them saying it on the radio down there. Its called we have no money because we missmanaged the state so thats impose another tax by writing as many speeding tickets as we can.

Agree. Revenue enhancement project.

Juiced-03

Established Member
I only have to worry about highway 50 today. I have noticed they are using ALOT of the new white Camaros with no light bars so you can even recognize them. I think the freeways in Cali have been out of hand for so long that they decided it was time to do something about it. Why they announce it to all the news stations and papers I have no idea. It seems to me they would make more of an impression if people were caught off guard?

Users who are viewing this thread