Chrome Wheel Question

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
What are your opinions on whether to use the regular black tire valve stem or to use chrome valve stems with the SVT chrome wheels? I wonder what Ford puts on the 03's that are now coming through with the chrome wheels from the factory? Probably black.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
When the dealer swapped out my original wheels for the chromes they just put the black rubber valve stems in.

I don't even notice them but I think chrome stems would look better.

I think when the F1s wear out I will replace the valve stems with chrome ones and.

-Brian

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I guess I'll pick up a set of 4 so my dealer can install them in the new wheels whenever they come in.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I hated the gray caps that came on my car (apparently to match the gray paint on the wheels) and changed them to black, immediately...

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic Blue 2003
I guess I'll pick up a set of 4 so my dealer can install them in the new wheels whenever they come in.

If I had thought a bout it, I would have done the same thing.

I asked the guy, before they started if they had any chrome stems and they did not :(

Oh well, at ther rate I am going I'll need new tires soon any way :-D

-Brian

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic Blue 2003
What are your opinions on whether to use the regular black tire valve stem or to use chrome valve stems with the SVT chrome wheels? I wonder what Ford puts on the 03's that are now coming through with the chrome wheels from the factory? Probably black.

I think the bolt in chrome stems look nasty, so I purchased the chrome sleeves that slip over the rubber stem. Below is a pic with the cobra caps. Wheel is dirty sorry

dun4791

Established Member
I tried to use the chrome steel valve stems--purchased from pep boys. But they didnt fit, so I went with the shorter rubber stems and put the chrome coiled snake stem caps from logo-caps.com----you cant even see any of the rubber anyway.

Oh yea and before you put them on take some Laquer thinner and get all of that shitty paint off the rims. They look much wider without the paint!!!!!

Lyle

dun4791

Established Member
One more thing I forgot tell them to either use the stick on weights on the center of the inside of the rim or if they dont have stick ons have them put the weights on the inside (static balance) NOT ON THE FRONT!!!!

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Lyle Dunahoo
I tried to use the chrome steel valve stems--purchased from pep boys. But they didnt fit, so I went with the shorter rubber stems and put the chrome coiled snake stem caps from logo-caps.com----you cant even see any of the rubber anyway.

Oh yea and before you put them on take some Laquer thinner and get all of that shitty paint off the rims. They look much wider without the paint!!!!!

Lyle

Yeah whats the deal with that coating on the inside of the chrome rim. I have noticed that in places that coating is flaking off and there is chrome underneath :shrug:

dun4791

Established Member
T 3 Cobra

That grey colored paint is just covering up the rest of the chrome on the wheel.

IMHO I think they look better without the paint, only place on the rims that I left paint is in the lug nut holes.

Just use some Laquer thinner to get 90 percent off then I went over em with mineral spirits to clean em up then washed and waxed them before putting them on the car.

It didnt hurt the chrome anywhere but I did do them 1 at a time and washed em right away.

Hope this helps, I think it gives em depth and look wider without.Sorry I dont have a digital camera to take a pic.

Lyle

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
T3Cobra, where did you buy those chrome stem sleeves?

Users who are viewing this thread