classic rock station(s) playing 90s music

mysterio

Established Member
My local classic rock station WZLX now plays soundgarden, alice in chains, nirvana, and pearl jam. Those are the only 90s bands Ive heard on there so far but I wouldnt be surprised to start hearing other 90s bands as more time passes. What do you think of that? I think its at least 5-10 years too soon, I think when those songs are 25 years old would be more appropriate. When I put ZLX on I dont put it on to hear soundgarden. Classic rock to me is led zepplelin, pink floyd, CCR, lynyrd skynyrd, tom petty, etc...

It's the changing and aging demographic of their target audience.

BTW, I really, really miss the old WBCN, especially when Oedipus ran the show.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I feel old as hell now. Im only 28. Nirvana, Sublime, Soundgarden, Spacehog, 311, Alice in Chains, Beck, Faith No More, Cracker, Staind, Cowboy Mouth, Eve 6, Temple of the Dog, Rage Against the Machine, Seether....etc...etc are all great older bands. Cant believe I have to start listening to classic rock stations. My beard even started to get grey hairs the other day.

azmarkus

Established Member
With classic rock you are dealing with a style subset not necessarily a generational subset (i.e. '70's rock), so you can expect artists from different decades to fall into the classic rock mold. How many times do we read of newer bands to have a 'Zeppelin feel/sound'? I remember when Wolfmother was coming up, they were tagged as classic rock, Coheed and Cambria were given a progressive tag. So yes, you can expect a gathering of artists from different eras when a radio station or compilation has a stylistic moniker rather than a decade or generational identifier (i.e. 'Hits of the Greatest Generation' will be listening to Glenn Miller not necessarily Harry Connick, etc.).

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
i grew out of "classic rock" in the early 90's and in the early 2000's i was over the 90's... uhh, what do we call that stuff? nothing against the music but it's time has come and gone for me.

more than the OLDIES stations (that's really what they are) playing music from a more recent era, i absolutely HATE the "new rock" stations playing anything older than 20 years!!!

seriously is it that tough to find enough music to fill a day from the last 20 years?!

it's actually a numbers game, HowStuffWorks "How Music Royalties Work"

ssssnake

Established Member
Psst, I hate to tell you guys, but the 90s were 20 years ago. That qualifies as "oldies." The music I grew up listening to is ancient LOL. Nobody said a thing on this site when Phil Everly died last week. One of the greatest in music history. Even an other "oldie," Billie Jo Armstrong was documented saying that he was influenced by Phil and his brother.

Time passes, and suddenly you're old, and so is the music you listen to.

TGR96

Established Member
It was bad enough when the classic rock station started playing 80's hair bands (Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, etc) that I listened to in HS, but when they started playing the grunge music that I listened to in college (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc.), it really got me! Getting old does indeed suck, but it certainly beats the alternative!

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Classic just means a memory which means they could play a song from yesterday if they wanted and it technically could be a classic. 90's grunge is hitting 20 years... that's pretty classic.

Users who are viewing this thread