Cleaned up/ported Boss intake question?

Ratchet

Established Member
So while I had the boss intake off the car, I decided to clean up the runner seams and stuff... I shouldn't need a tune revision for this when I put it back on should I?

Thanks guys.
null_zps59e25f67.jpg

null_zps856aa0ef.jpg

null_zpsb3af6fb7.jpg

Last edited:

CorDog009

Established Member
There shoudn't be that drastic of a change to require a re-tune. I figure you just made it more efficient with the air coming in than it was before.

BV600

Established Member
What did you use to do it? I have an extra stock intake I may port myself or send out and see if any improvements can be made.

Ratchet

Established Member
What did you use to do it? I have an extra stock intake I may port myself or send out and see if any improvements can be made.
I have had a dremel with all the bits sitting around for years... took about 45 mins with various ends and the speed setting on the dremel pretty low so you don't start to melt the plastic. Did some finishing smoothing with some 400 and 600 grit sand paper and that was good enough I guess. :beer:

Last edited:

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
Looks like a sand paper and dremel job which is what I would do if i were planning to clean up the intake a bit which I may

Ratchet

Established Member
Looks like a sand paper and dremel job which is what I would do if i were planning to clean up the intake a bit which I may

Exactly, and it apparently gives you around 7rwhp or for some even more. I'm all for a lil bit of free HP...lol:rockon:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
pretty easy to smooth out or is there a risk of doing too much? I wouldn't mind cleaning it up myself some depending on if I can mess up the IM that much! I am usually pretty good with this type of thing :D.

Ratchet

Established Member
pretty easy to smooth out or is there a risk of doing too much? I wouldn't mind cleaning it up myself some depending on if I can mess up the IM that much! I am usually pretty good with this type of thing :D.

I just checked after each pass or 2 with the dremal and only went till the seam was flush. Then finished it off with a mini round grinding ball to fully smooth any little edges/ridges. Then touched up with sandpaper.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I just checked after each pass or 2 with the dremal and only went till the seam was flush. Then finished it off with a mini round grinding ball to fully smooth any little edges/ridges. Then touched up with sandpaper.

Cool thanks man, that doesn't seem too bad. Debating on adding the heatshield(yeah yeah flame me for it) and figured that'd give me a reason to pull the intake off and port it.

saying the numbers are remotely correct, a 7-9rwhp from porting and 9rwhp from the heatshield would = a + of possible 18HP. As stated, anything helpes. $50 and a few hours of my time I'd spend just watching tv would be worth the possible gains. :D.

Ratchet

Established Member
Cool thanks man, that doesn't seem too bad. Debating on adding the heatshield(yeah yeah flame me for it) and figured that'd give me a reason to pull the intake off and port it.

saying the numbers are remotely correct, a 7-9rwhp from porting and 9rwhp from the heatshield would = a + of possible 18HP. As stated, anything helpes. $50 and a few hours of my time I'd spend just watching tv would be worth the possible gains. :D.

Not sure about 9 hp for the wrap, maybe on charged cars... But from what i hear there is a def increase with the runner clean out. I'd also think that a tune revision should not be needed, but would like to hear that from one of the tuners!! Lol :beer:

01bluesnake

Established Member
A tune revision would be needed for a more drastic change. i don't see more than a 1% or so of fuel correction needed for this mod. When i did my stock vs ported stock dyno thread, even with a loss of of HP from the mod, fuel correction was not even noticeable in change.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Not sure about 9 hp for the wrap, maybe on charged cars... But from what i hear there is a def increase with the runner clean out. I'd also think that a tune revision should not be needed, but would like to hear that from one of the tuners!! Lol :beer:

Yeah I have doubts. I have a buddy with a thermal camera and what we were gonna test was me driving the car kind of hard in its current condition, measure the intake temp immediatly after words and see how hot it was. Then I was gonna put the wrap on, and repeat. If we saw temps drop on the manifold there *might* be a gain. Depending on what the intakes temps are too, with the 90 degree weather, might not do much until it drops to 50-60 outside. Who the hell knows. No one has done any good testing yet.

I'd like to hear shauns take on the tuning aspect, since he tuned my car.:beer:

twistedneck

Established Member
The reason it does not give a lot more power smoothing out the weld seam step is because the air is pulled into the cylinders along the inside of the intake where the seam is smooth.. the outside gets very little boundary layer type flow hence Ford left the step (my opinion).

I also made mine smooth though, why not! Ford guys I know also got rid of the whiskers.

Users who are viewing this thread