Cleaning air filter?

Black Sleeper

Established Member
I just hosed the K&N cone filter from the inside out and it is now soaking in a bucket with some dish sope I didnt have any simple green. im gonna let it dry for a few hours maby 2-3 hours do you think that is enough? also Is it nessary to reoil the filter after cleaning? If so can i get away with it for a day or 2 with out doing it?? and if i need to reoil the filter how do I go about doing it? Thanks guys. Im also in the process of checking my plugs 3 down 5 to go just did an oil change and makeing sure thare tight damb 2000L's with the less threds!!

Black Sleeper

Established Member
Just a really stupid thought!!!! Could I put the filter in the dryer for a quick minute to speed up the drying process?? probally a very bad idea but it just poped into my head!! im fuc% up like that I guess:shrug: ha ha

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
hair dryer is what I ahve used....

when you reoil the filter do so with a few light coats....too mcuh will result in the oil getting sucked out and possibly getting on the maf sensor leads and skewing the readings it provides to the PCM.

Black Sleeper

Established Member
how do I apply the oil? I couldnt use motor oil could I? probaly stupid I know but a thought. dose the k&n recharger kit have some sort of lil spray bottel that mists the oil on?

bgstew6

Established Member
no...you can buy a K&N recharge kit from almost every parts store...it has the oil and cleaner in the kit....

it has a red dye in it....not sure what the oil is...but anyhoo, just a couple ligiht coats and leave it at that. The directions tell ya to spreay it until it starts seeping through.....most keep spraying and spraying instead of srpaying and letting it sit...then come back and spray again...by then you have too much oil on it...

Black Sleeper

Established Member
thanks i gonna start up the hair dryer now. man i wish icould have gotten a pick of how bad my filter was it was frigin caked!!!!!! looks clean now!

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
I use the K&N recharge kit with the supplied cleaner. Spray the cleaner on, let it soak in, then rinse the filter off. Then I put it in a bucket with dish soap and then re-rinse. The fan on my central AC unit dries my wet filters in minutes. I normally lightly spray the oil on the outside of the filter, let it set in for a few minutes, then take a paper towel or two and absorb all the excess oil off the filter. I learned from racing motocross over the years to not over oil the air filters, lol.

Black Sleeper

Established Member
On a side note I noticed whare the bottem of the filter was resting I now have a few pinholes that I can see daylight through I mean part if the filter has worn away not to bad but I could get some dirt through it maby. what should I do about that maby just dab some seamsealer on the holes? or maby silicone? they really arent that big but while im doing all of this ide like to fix that.

bgstew6

Established Member
that would work.....

reposition your filter so that it does not lay touching anything.....

Black Sleeper

Established Member
I will do that tomm along with oiling the filter up thanks for the advice guys I love SVTP! always thare when u need a hand! Im gonna go back to blowdrying my filter now shes almost done! another 5 min and ille slap her back on!

Black Sleeper

Established Member
My neighbors must think im really fuc%ed up being outside with a hairdryer just standing thare drinking a beer! ha ha fu*k em IDK Ive got a Lightning!

Users who are viewing this thread