Cleaning HRE Wheels

Rev Happy

Established Member
My HREs should be here tomorrow and I'm just wondering the proper way to clean them. The wheels are used, and look to have black painted centers with a clear coat, and polished lips. Would Poor Boys wheel sealant be ok for them? How about the polished lips?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
WheelSealant will be fine.

Adam's Metal Polish for the lips.

If they have deeper scratches that Adam's won't take out; try Mother's Billet and follow with the Adams.

Adam's Polishes

Might want to look into English Custom Polishes as well. I've had really good results with the Adams though.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Make sure the lips dont have a clearcoat also because when ordering HREs, if you get the centers cleared, they suggest and usually do the entire wheel.

So you'd just have to wash them rather than polish them.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
yes, they wont be really shiny when clean. they'll be a little dull.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
^ To further elaborate on that, bare aluminum is kinda "grabby" if you just drag your fingertips/pads across it. It will also leave a clear, crisp fingerprint smudge on it EASILY if they are raw/polished. Clearcoat will feel 'slicker' like your car's paint and not as grabby.

If you hit it with a metal polish and you get black residue really quickly; they're raw. If not, stop and treat them as a painted surface.

Users who are viewing this thread