cleaning throttle body at dealer?

o2gt

Established Member
I just dropped my 2013 gt of for an oil change and new battery at the ford dealer. they called to say the air filter needed replacing and the throttle body needed cleaning and re tune. I have not heard about cleaning the throttle body every 15k miles. I told then i did not want it done. i was worried about the retune effecting my after market tune, I did not want to mention it. Is this something people are getting done?

thanks

Josh

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
If it's actually dirty, just do it yourself. It takes about 10 minutes, just need a couple of thin microfiber towels and some carb cleaner. I also recommend nitrile gloves, carb cleaner will irritate and burn around your finger nails - or at least it does me.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Never touched my Tb. Looked at it when I installed my blower and it was good. 22k miles on it so far.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Tell them to show you its dirty an ask them why it needs a retune an what the retune does?

o2gt

Established Member
Tell them to show you its dirty an ask them why it needs a retune an what the retune does?

I Just told them not to touch it. I did not make any since to me, having not read about it anywhere. I will ask when i pick it up, what the retune would have done. this is why i dont like dealing with car dealers, I have not problem with making money. but little things like this frustrate me.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I Just told them not to touch it. I did not make any since to me, having not read about it anywhere. I will ask when i pick it up, what the retune would have done. this is why i dont like dealing with car dealers, I have not problem with making money. but little things like this frustrate me.

Why did you just drop it off for an oil change an battery its like a 30min deal why not just wait

o2gt

Established Member
Why did you just drop it off for an oil change an battery its like a 30min deal why not just wait

I did not have time to wait. It was over an hour wait quoted to me, and we all know how that can go. I had lots to get done today.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
The service they are selling is likely the combo Fuel Injection system cleaning key. If it's the three part set, it includes a foamy spray into the TB that looses carbon buildup and some burt oil goo (all of which will be sucked in and burned in the combustion chamber. Step to is the disconnect the brake booster line (or any other vacuum line that enter the intake manifold) and attach a can of injector cleaner. That it supposed to get any debris or buildup off the injector head which would maintain optimal fuel atomization after spray. The final step is to add a bottle of the stuff to the gas tank. They are suggested at 15K miles on all vehicles, and on some are able to make vast improvement over the way they were (the big gains are seen by those who don't maintain their vehicles) It's usually between $50-$150 depending on where you go. It is beneficial though, I try to do mine about once a year.

Users who are viewing this thread