Clunking/Knocking while braking

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
So the cobra sat a few months, I replaced the steering rack and a arms with new ball joints. It has less than 4k on the shocks. Also new stabilizer end links. New tranny mount. Motor mounts perfect. Whenever I hit the brakes hard or go over a large speed bump, I get a clunking noise. I haven't gotten up under there yet to check if the strut bar links are tightened up with the vehicles weight on it, I believe they were only tightened up with the wheels off and the car on jackstands. Will loose end links cause what's happening here? If I put some weight on the front end and get it bouncing with it parked, it does NOT make the sound. Just wanted to run this by you guys and see what you think. Thanks.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
That is a very vague problem to diagnose over the internet. With that being said, I would suggest taking off each wheel and inspecting all suspension components.

To your sway bar links...they are supposed to be tightened/adjusted with the weight of the car on them.

Only clunks I've dealt with was with the pumpkin and IRS system. That has since gone away with the FTBR kit.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I had a clunk that was a bad bearing where the strut connects with the shock tower. It would allow the strut to move back and forth a little during acceleration and braking. It was driving me nuts. I tried to fix it by replacing the lower control arms and sway bar bushings but the clunking continued. I didn't realize what the culprit was till NTB refused to align the car due to all that movement. I corrected the issue with new caster/camber plates.

KyleSVT

Terminated
Established Member
Yea I would check the clips like everyone else said, Also even with brand new ones those crappy brakes are so noisy due to their design (floating caliper) I upgraded brakes to a FTBR 14inch 4 piston fixed Wilwood caliper and all the clanking and banging is gone. Also check these bolts, Mine were loose and made a banging noise when hitting the brakes really hard.
11088485_865383683521541_3759788728700162432343_o.jpg

hotcobra03

Established Member
the rattle clips are only half of the problem.

the pin and clips only hold the brake pad.

the round clips hold the caliper. these also will beak loose and allow caliper to hop and bang.

Users who are viewing this thread