Clunking Noise When Letting Off Gas?

HausCobra

Established Member
Why is it teh car makes a clunking noise every time you take your foot off teh accelerator. Is this common in all cobras.

Thanks

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
How many miles? My Mach clunked a bit when I got it... it could be breaking in.

Rootus

BANNED
Established Member
Yup, they all do it. It's because the driveline has quite a lot of slop in it. On a live axle car you don't really hear it because the differential is seperated from the car by the suspension, but on an IRS Cobra the differential is attached directly to the car, so you hear it clearly. Sucks, it's one of the few things I wish there was a fix for.

hmwave

Established Member
It's easy to drive around it.
Mine clunks like crazy if I let it but most of the time I drive around it. It's not all that difficult to do.

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
no clunk with 13k..... then take it in for a new real end... cause mine was leaking... now i have the clunk bad:shrug:

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Mine clunks as well. I drove a 03, and it wasn't bad. So go figure?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Rootus
Yup, they all do it. It's because the driveline has quite a lot of slop in it. On a live axle car you don't really hear it because the differential is seperated from the car by the suspension, but on an IRS Cobra the differential is attached directly to the car, so you hear it clearly. Sucks, it's one of the few things I wish there was a fix for.
Exactly! An unfortunate annoyance we have to live with. I hated it!

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Mine doesn't clunk when letting off the gas. But it does clunk HARD when I shift into 1st. It's really bad, even when I drop it slowly into gear. Even my dealer said it's a little too clunky. The whole car thunks.

I'll push them to replace the trannie if I can. Needs a TOB sleeve anyway.

wldstang91

Established Member
The dealer told me it was common.... i figure it to be the U joints i rocked the car back and forth while it was off it cluncked pretty bad sounds a lot like U joint slop to me it was really bad when i was a rookie at driving the car but now ive learned to deal with it.

rmgtc01

Established Member
Just turn up the radio and open the windows. Everthing goes aways at 100mph!!

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
working under my 03 Cobra, I can turn my driveshaft (with the car in gear, and e-brake set) about 3/8's of an inch.. that's what's causing the "slop" that your hearing in your drivetrain..

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Originally posted by Silver2003Cobra
working under my 03 Cobra, I can turn my driveshaft (with the car in gear, and e-brake set) about 3/8's of an inch.. that's what's causing the "slop" that your hearing in your drivetrain..

That can't be too good right?

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
its because the lash of the gears is set really loose from the factory. take it to a performance shop and get them to set up your gears correctly, and it wont do it

Users who are viewing this thread