Clunking / rattling coming from rear?

CobraOnTheLoose

Screamin Yellow
Established Member
Just started happening worse after I sold my subs. But there is a clunking / rattling coming from my passenger side rear. It sounds like it could be brakes or something loose but then it seems like it could be an axle. Would you be able to tell if it was an axle? Anyone got any ideas?....Oh, when I push on the passenger side next to the gas cap and let up it clunks.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Just started happening worse after I sold my subs. But there is a clunking / rattling coming from my passenger side rear. It sounds like it could be brakes or something loose but then it seems like it could be an axle. Would you be able to tell if it was an axle? Anyone got any ideas?....Oh, when I push on the passenger side next to the gas cap and let up it clunks.
Exhaust?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

You sold your sub frames?Why?Were they welded in?

CobraOnTheLoose

Screamin Yellow
Established Member
Lol, its all good. Wanted to get rid of them for more power so I think it was the right choice. But I want to find out what is causing this rattling.

ALSO!)....I have noticed bad wheel hop when im in 3rd or 4th gear and I put the hammer down. Whatever this clunking is I think is causing the wheel hop.

04cobra88

Established Member
hey man i think its just your rear sway bar is loose, theres a guy with a march 1 and the same thing happened just a little clunk now and then when he'd hit a bump or be on a uneven surface and my buddy and him got under it and it was his rear sway bar or something like that, cuz my cobra had it too and i didnt know what it was but i didnt geet to do mine yet...just a thought

CobraOnTheLoose

Screamin Yellow
Established Member
hey man i think its just your rear sway bar is loose, theres a guy with a march 1 and the same thing happened just a little clunk now and then when he'd hit a bump or be on a uneven surface and my buddy and him got under it and it was his rear sway bar or something like that, cuz my cobra had it too and i didnt know what it was but i didnt geet to do mine yet...just a thought

Thats a damn good idea. It is every now and then only when I hit a bump or go over something.

04cobra88

Established Member
pretty sure thats your problem but like i said i didnt get around to looking at mine yet but my buddy fixed his mach and thats what it was!..hope it helps and let me know will you

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
Sorry I gotta revive this thread. My car started doing this last weekend on the driver's side, and I'm wondering if it's a loose bolt on the rear swaybar. Car will clunk/clank very loudly when hitting deformations in the road, and that's the only time it does it. Sounds like my spring is wobbling. Besides that, car drives fine. Here's a pic of which bolt is loose, found this pic on the net:

9f3970ac.gif

Is this the rear swaybar? When I put in my springs, we cross-threaded this bolt on accident, but tightened it up as best we could and I've never had problems with it until this clunk appeared. It seems to be the only culprit because everything else is in order it seems, after taking off the wheel and inspecting everything. Strut is good, bolted in tight, control arm isn't loose or damaged, spring is seated correctly.

I posted a thread about trying to find the part # for this bolt if anyone can help me out. It has an "F" and "10.6" on the head.

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
OK after looking around that's definitely not the rear swaybar... but the bolt is still loose, do you guys think this could make the rear bounce up and down on bumps and make a clunk sound?

Users who are viewing this thread