Clutch, '09 GT500

DrGT500

Chronic Bad Attitude
Established Member
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I found SVTP when TeamShelby's servers bit the big one. Really, really like this forum. TS should do more server maintenance. lol I never would've left.

Anyway, I have a clutch "question" of sorts. Does anyone else have problems driving this car smoothly? More specifically, I seem to be having a hell of a time adapting to the "feel" of the clutch. My 1st gear take-offs from a stop definitely leave something to be desired. Now, I'm not talking about drag-strip launches, just day-to-day around town driving. I either rev too much or seemingly not enough and the car shudders.

Now, realize, this isn't my first rodeo guys. I'm about to turn 42 and I've been driving manual transmissions since, well, forever. I learned on a stick. Nor is this my first "high performance" car. My last few cars have included:

2 - 6M Corvettes. '05 C6 and '01 C5
2 - 6M F-Bodies. '00 Camaro SS and '96 Z28/SS
5M '93 RX-7/R1 and a 5M MazdaSpeed Turbo Miata
'91 5M Taurus SHO
Two 5M trucks, Toyota 4x4 and a Ford Ranger

I've driven manuals all my life, but even after 700 miles on the GT500 I'm still having trouble being "smooth" as often as not from a dead stop?! :shrug:

Is there something "different" about this clutch I should know? Or take into account? :??: I have noticed it is REALLY like an "on/off" switch. As I release the pedal from the floor, it travels nearly all the way up before the clutch takes up and the car starts to move.

Anyway... is this normal or am I just starting to suck in my "old age"? :loser:

ff500

Established Member
I have a hard time with my car too, sometimes it looks like I'm riding a bucking bronco when I let out first gear, still fun though.

FormerGmc

Established Member
I had the same problem when I first got mine. Stalled a bunch! You will get used to it! I still get the shudder occasionally even with the 373's

USBlueStage2

Established Member
"Shudder" on take-off seems to be relatively common, and "chatter" is to be expected (as referenced in the owner's manual).

More ominous, is clutch "drag", which is the subject of a TSB: 08-16-4.

There are several threads on the topic on the site that is down, and there may be a few here if you search.

2009s with a build date after 8/19/08, or so, should have the new flywheel etc. so should not have "clutch drag" problems.

6-Speed

Established Member
The GT500 uses a dual-disk ceri-metallic clutch that is much more difficult to engage smoothly from a stop. I had the same issue with it for almost a year of driving - now it seems I've gotten the hang of it and my starts are smooth about 95% of the time; I don't stall it much anymore. You just need to apply a little throttle and know where the clutch engages. I drove a neighbor's 07 Roush 427 with a high-performance McCleod clutch a few weeks ago and it was much easier to smoothly engage the clutch than on my car, however it required much more foot pressure on the clutch pedal and the shifter travel was pretty long and sloppy.

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I've only got 80 miles on mine..thanks to this lovely winter..but, thats
another story..lol

since this thing grabs so high up, it makes for more of a challenge. good thing for me is, its just like my g35 infiniti......no problems here

you'll get use to it

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
After 2500 miles mine is much easier to drive, The only problem I have now is slight throddle control. My throddle is either at idle or 1600 rpm, but it really doesnt affect my take-off's just anoying cuz it rev's so quickly.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
Just takes getting use too and then its still tricky to keep it from shuddering. It wont slip though.:beer:
I give a little more rev at take off.

Last edited:

DrGT500

Chronic Bad Attitude
Established Member
Thanks guys, on several counts. First off, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in having difficulty being "smooth" was this clutch. I was hoping to hear it was more of a "Loose nut behind the wheel" problem. Because, in that case, it rules out a mechanical malfunction with my brand new car. lol

To the person who relied about the GT500 clutch TSB, although I wasn't aware of it BEFORE I bought the car, luckily for me my build date is in September, so by the grace of God I appear to have dodged THAT particular bullet. But, since you asked, no it's not clutch drag, at least that I can perceive.

I have just never had a problem getting comfortable with a clutch like this in the past and I was beginning to worry. Of course, all 4 previous 6-Speeds I drove prior to this were GM products, all the same tranny and (I presume pretty much the same) clutch combo.

So anyway, I'll just have to adapt to the late take-up on the clutch and with enough throttle I'll get past the "shudders". lol I only stalled it once, and that was bringing it home, so that hasn't been a problem thankfully.

Oh, and the other point I wanted to comment on was the serious, and appropriate, responses. I appreciate it. I was/am on a LOT of car forums. I had a 350Z also prior to this car and I won't name names, but the forum I was on for that car (supposed to be one of the best 350Z forums) would have gotten me a bunch of replies along the lines of:

1) The clutch is fine, it's you.
2) You're right, you do suck.
3) WTF Noob, RTM! Dumbazz.
4) Search, you moron.

...and, my perennial favorite...

5) T*ts or GTFO. (or something equally off-topic)

Anyway, I'm all for good fun. But if you can't ask a simple question and get a serious reply, it removes the motivation to visit a forum. From what I can tell so far, you guys have an awesome site here. I believe I'll be stayin! :beer:

chuckstang

Established Member
practice practice practice

no joke

this clutch does not slip well, you gota just get used to it. I have it down now where I either do it perfectly or stall, but still have only stalled it a handfull of times in 2 years

cbrmuscle

Established Member
Yeah this clutch can handle a LOT more power than stock as well which was a problem in the Term's.

shelbypowered

Established Member
Yeah this clutch can handle a LOT more power than stock as well which was a problem in the Term's.
After the tsb the clutch in my car still sucks- it is the most iratating part of the car- you that accept the grab and live with it are true believers- the clutch sucks- As you know the 2010 gt 500 will have an organic clutch- a lot different than ours- if ours was so great why are they not offering it in 2010- We will see how this babby lasts as I am not being kind to it anymore-

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
After the tsb the clutch in my car still sucks- it is the most iratating part of the car- you that accept the grab and live with it are true believers- the clutch sucks- As you know the 2010 gt 500 will have an organic clutch- a lot different than ours- if ours was so great why are they not offering it in 2010- We will see how this babby lasts as I am not being kind to it anymore-

just remember, it fits our application:rolleyes:

sprint200

Established Member
Is there something "different" about this clutch I should know? Or take into account? :??: I have noticed it is REALLY like an "on/off" switch. As I release the pedal from the floor, it travels nearly all the way up before the clutch takes up and the car starts to move.

Anyway... is this normal or am I just starting to suck in my "old age"? :loser:

Dr,

The clutch, as stated above, is cerametallic and by nature is designed for quick releases. Try blipping the throttle (up to about 1500 rpm or less); not revving mind you, but a blip. Simultaneously and faster than you're used to doing it, release the clutch. It does take a bit of getting used to, but I have no trouble with it anymore.

Good! that way you may start to like it better. They were designed for a bit of abuse.

The flywheel was another story though:rollseyes

BTW the new organic clutches won't take as much HP as ours do............

DrGT500

Chronic Bad Attitude
Established Member
Dr,

The clutch, as stated above, is cerametallic and by nature is designed for quick releases. Try blipping the throttle (up to about 1500 rpm or less); not revving mind you, but a blip. Simultaneously and faster than you're used to doing it, release the clutch. It does take a bit of getting used to, but I have no trouble with it anymore.

Now that's a tip I can sink my teeth into, so to speak. Thanks, I'll definitely try that. I mean, after 700 miles of "around town" driving, the way I've been doing it obviously isn't working. I just really didn't know what to do differently or TRY to do differently. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

:rockon:

msy

Established Member
I have 35,000 miles on my car and the full TSB. I've driven eveything from Vipers to Vettes and econboxes such as the 1982 Dodge Omni miser. I have driven semi trucks over the road and have NEVER had a vehicle with a clutch as terrible as this for daily driving. Go drive a Z06 vette which has the same Tremec transmission although I have been told the gears are cut differently. That is the way the car should shift both from a clutch perspective and the feel of the tranny. The car is a blast to drive but from a dead stop, it just plain sucks. Ford whiffed on this part of the vehicle. You either have to drive it like you stole it or it will be extremely difficult to be smooooth.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member

Man, what damn car can you put slicks and a bigger blower and run tens over and over and over without an ioda of slipping?_____ None.
Come on! Not that damn hard to drive. lol
Ford did good on the clutch,:rockon: hate all the other trans issues. :smmon:

Dont be kind to it anymore. :beer:

6-Speed

Established Member
I have 35,000 miles on my car and the full TSB. I've driven eveything from Vipers to Vettes and econboxes such as the 1982 Dodge Omni miser. I have driven semi trucks over the road and have NEVER had a vehicle with a clutch as terrible as this for daily driving. Go drive a Z06 vette which has the same Tremec transmission although I have been told the gears are cut differently. That is the way the car should shift both from a clutch perspective and the feel of the tranny. The car is a blast to drive but from a dead stop, it just plain sucks. Ford whiffed on this part of the vehicle. You either have to drive it like you stole it or it will be extremely difficult to be smooooth.
It is more challenging to be smooth, but it's definately do-able. I don't have any issues with the clutch anymore - had the TSB done and short-throw shifter installed and it operates just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread