Clutch Adjustment Issues 04' cobra

Jduane

Established Member
Installed new Spec 3+ clutch and Spec Aluminum flywheel with ford racing tob and have a fore firewall adjuster with upr triple hook quadrant, while still using the previous clutch cable. clutch is grabbing down at the floor with the adjuster all the way out and cable is on middle hook of quadrant.
when I put cable in 3rd hook it grabs about halfway up and the adjuster is all the way in on that setting. Looks like the tob seems to be against the pressure plate also on that setting. When engaging clutch just a lil tob squeks but stops as you continue to push pedal. Is cable stretched to much???? or is it possible it needs a adjustable pivot ball???

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
My understanding is that the TOB should contact the fingers, and needs just enough preload to keep it from squeaking. That noise is the fingers rubbing the TOB that is not spinning. I would leave it in the 3rd hook and tighten the firewall adjuster slightly so it doesn't make noise. The factory quadrant was designed to preload the TOB.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Same exact setup. On middle hook here,
I had FR TOB squeal day 1 after paying a shop to install it!
Payed R&R again and that one lasted 10,000 miles. Good luck boss.

JrSVT

Established Member
It is most common to have the TOB setting off of the Pressure Plate about 1/8th of an inch so that it is NOT constantly spinning. Think about it, if the TOB is constantly spinning the bearings will wear out quicker. I've had a FRPP TOB last the entire life of the clutch. I only replaced that TOB because a new one came in the clutch kit that I purchased.

Jr.

Jduane

Established Member
That's what a few other guys told me also. It seems my stock cable was stretched so I bought a ford racing adjustable cable. Gonna install it tomorrow and will post back and let yal know how it goes.

JrSVT

Established Member
Cables do that...IMO the stock cable is the best fit for these cars and many others think so too. Good luck with the FRPP adjustable cable. I had one and it was nothing but headaches. I replaced it with a new stock piece.

Jr.

Patriot Guy

Established Member
I replaced my Spec 3+ about 3 weeks ago with a stage 2+ while I was replacing the bad throw out bearing which was seized. I have the LDC spring Mod, Fiore firewall adjuster and new stock cable. Have adjusted this thing all the way up and down and still have the TOB squeal like I had with the Spec 3+. The TOB I installed with the Sec Stage 3+ only lasted about 15k miles and I don't want to change this one in another 15K miles. Has anyone tried to bend the shift fork back a bit to keep it off the PP? Is there an aftermarket Shift Fork with a different geometry to keep it off the PP? The squeal is driving me nuts.

BMR Tech

My set-up is:

Spec 3+
Spec Aluminum Flywheel
Fiore FW Adjuster
Steeda QR Quadrant
Steeda Adjustable Cable

This has been my "go to" set-up for many, many years.

The problem when using the stock cable, with the set-up above is that you simply cannot get the proper adjustment. If you do - it places the FW adjuster at the end of its range, smashing into the valve cover breather or PCV.

Adjustable cables are simple. You install the FW adjuster at 50% of its threaded length.....then install the cable and shorten/tighten the nut; until the cable has "about" 1/4" to 1/2" of play/slop/movement at the fork.

At that point, you are just about done.....you simply use the FW adjuster to fine-tune / make final adjustments.

I have no earthly idea why so many people have had bad luck with adjustable cables. I tend to lean towards improper use/adjustment, or just a faulty combination of components. I have used them for over 10 years, and have installed them on more vehicles than I can remember. I get them from Steeda.

If you speak to Walt at Promotion, he will tell you 100% - you need to use an adjustable cable.

Last edited:

JrSVT

Established Member
I replaced my Spec 3+ about 3 weeks ago with a stage 2+ while I was replacing the bad throw out bearing which was seized. I have the LDC spring Mod, Fiore firewall adjuster and new stock cable. Have adjusted this thing all the way up and down and still have the TOB squeal like I had with the Spec 3+. The TOB I installed with the Sec Stage 3+ only lasted about 15k miles and I don't want to change this one in another 15K miles. Has anyone tried to bend the shift fork back a bit to keep it off the PP? Is there an aftermarket Shift Fork with a different geometry to keep it off the PP? The squeal is driving me nuts.

I wouldn't advise bending the shift fork. It would be better to get an adjustable pivot ball to adjust the shift fork back.

Jr.

Jduane

Established Member
I got my ford racing adjustable cable installed with my new setup and set tob off of pp fingers just enough that it wasnt spinning. Clutch felt good but now my pedal is vibrating/pulsing. This is annoying as hell. So i tried tightening up a bit on fw adjuster an it stops but i get tob squeal... feels like i have a hair to much slack in cable... What should i try??? or What did i do wrong??:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread