Clutch Chatter on 08/w New Clutch/Flywheel

500 Blue

Established Member
Just bought an 08. Drove it home over 650 miles and I just got in. It has had a partial TSB preformed, with only the clutch/flywheel/pilot bearing changed. Since it an late build it has the new tranny with the new input shaft. Total mileage right now is 2,500

Zero gear grind, always goes in easy. We took a back way home and did not use one Interstate for 650 miles. I noticed some very slight clutch "chatter" when in first gear at take off. The car would almost have to be at its stall point in order to get the chatter.

I live on a hill and as I was pulling into my house I noticed more chatter then I had felt the previous 650 miles. The new clutch/flywheel/pilot bearing were put in last week and the owner put 100 miles on them before I had arrived to buy/test drive the car.

My question is that is this clutch "chatter" normal when driving slow up a hill in 1st. I thought the ceramic flywheel caused this and since my car now has the new clutch it should not chatter, but it was defiantly noticeable driving up my driveway. I have also read that 1st gear clutch chatter is normal for duel disk clutch.

And if it is not normal I want do you think could cause this since the car now has the upgraded clutch. The reason I am posting this question is because I have read it IS and IS NOT normal to have minor 1st gear take off clutch chatter/shudder. Any guidance would be appreciated. Also the input shaft had plenty of lube on it and it did not show any unreasonable wear.

Cheers!

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
My question is that is this clutch "chatter" normal when driving slow up a hill in 1st. I thought the ceramic flywheel caused this and since my car now has the new clutch it should not chatter, but it was defiantly noticeable driving up my driveway. I have also read that 1st gear clutch chatter is normal for duel disk clutch.

Cheers!

The new flywheel is steel. Your new clutch still has a floating intermediate friction ring with no drive straps. With our clutchs, this feature is what attributes to the slight chatter when engaging at slow speeds. This is NOT a feature with ALL dual disc clutches. Manufactures have found that utilizing a "staged engagement" with a dual disc clutch will make for more manageable daily driving. Basically, the drive straps cause the middle friction ring to move back and forth. As you engage the clutch at low rpm, the first disc will engage, then the second, giving it a 1-2 engagement. When you rev it up and dump the clutch, it will lock them both up at the same time, but it's not shocking the drivetrain every time you ease off the pedal at slow speeds. This concept HAS BEEN incorporated in the 2010 GT500 clutch. Ford also increased the diameter of the clutch discs and changed the friction material of the discs to make them more USER FRIENDLY with the 2010's. At least they're making changes from their learning experiences!!!!! :lol:

Last edited:

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
I have always had chatter if I launched with too little revs. I have been OK with it since I think there is some give and take with a 500 hp vehicle with a stout clutch. Its a hard car to launch even at a street light smoothly w/o perfect +gas/-clutch but you get use to it.
Had TSB done at 17K and it seems to chatter a little more and the clutch seems a little more grabby but Ive only got about 1K on the new parts.
A Z06 might be a little lighter on the foot (C&D wusses) but I have never even smelled my clutch after repeated abuse (drag strip) unlike every other car out there will start slipping and smelling funky.
I think your chatter is normal and you will rev a tad higher and get use to it.:beer:

USBlueStage2

Established Member
I have chatter sometimes on my '09 (with updated flywheel).

The owners manual states that chatter is normal.

barstoolman

Established Member
After my TSB was done, including all new synchros, I was given an official letter from Ford which contained the official TSB on the "clutch drag/flywheel" problem as well as an addition to the TSB stating that some "clutch chatter" is normal for the GT500. Can't say I love it but it is what it is and after all, it's just a Mustang.

500 Blue

Established Member
Thanks for all the posts. I have driven the car more since I got it home and what I think is that I'm just experiencing common flywheel chatter that is only minimal on take off.

I am loving the car more everday. I will post up some pics soon as I don't have to work a 12 hour day.

Thanks again Anp With Stangs (Buck) for the car, I am/will enjoy and take good car of her! :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread