Clutch disengages just above the floor

10thVert

Established Member
I am a new Cobra owner. 10th Anniversary Vert. Overall I like the car a lot. I was previous owner of a 96 Mystic with a Kenne Bell. My issues with the car are: clutch doesn't engage or disengage until the pedal is almost at the floor boards. Sometimes it is hard to get into 1st or any gear when stopped unless you pump the clutch a few times. Is there anyway to have the dealer fix the clutch adjustment. I could install a quadrant and firewall adjuster but I do not want to void my warrantee. Any advice from you more experienced 03 owners. By the way this is a great forum. Keep up the good work!

:beer:

03&68cobras

Established Member
Mine was the same. As it has worn a little it is up further now. Try lifting up on the pedal with your toe, to adjust the pedal. This is how the pedal is adjusted with the factory quadrant. This may or may not help.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
There's really nothing you can do without changing the quadrant/adj out. The stock one will always give you fits. Try the adjustment though.

JackisBack

Established Member
Try this. Reach down with your hand instead of your toe and grab the clutch. Pull as hard as you can! Mine isn't on the floor anymore!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
There are several theads currently running about the clutch quadrant. This is the cause of the problem. Should be replaced with an aftermarket one.

Dana

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Get a firewall adjuster & quadrant from UPR. It will solve your problems.

10thVert

Established Member
Thanks for the input. Had Cobra in for an oil change. SVT tech said the clutch felt different. He suggested driving it another 500 to 1000 miles. Suggested that it may cure itself as the clutch wears in. If I need to bring it back in he said he would call the hotline and get advice from SVT. Will hold off on the clutch quadrant and adjuster for now due to potential warrantee issues.

10thVert

Established Member
OH yeah! SVT Tech also performed the TSB for the pop while it was up on the hoist, at my request. Great guy, great service at Apple Valley Ford.

wicked03snake

Established Member
I had the same problem with mine. It got so bad that I had to take off in 2nd gear while i waited on the dealership to get in a new clutch and pressure plate. If you hear the throw out bearing squeaking when youre not pushing the pedal, watch out. since having the clutch replaced, it releases halfway and is much lighter. perfect for about 6 months now

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is the UPR firewall adjuster & quadrant easy to install? How much time does it take?

Phreakfree

Spitz Venom
Established Member
I hope it isn't as annoying as it is on the 86-93 stangs... man that was ackward! Took about an hour, but you had cuts and bruises all over your finger... best let someone with really small hands do it and flexable too!

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by Phreakfree
I hope it isn't as annoying as it is on the 86-93 stangs... man that was ackward! Took about an hour, but you had cuts and bruises all over your finger... best let someone with really small hands do it and flexable too!

It's EXACTLY the same, except harder, since the engine's head is now inches from the adjuster, unlike the 5.0's

Users who are viewing this thread