Clutch gone out?

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
I know there has been plenty of threads on this...but want to be clear. Recently outta nowhere its become hell to get the car through the gears. I have to apply huge force to get it into 1st-6th. And reverse is no better; actually, even more horrid than any other gear to try and engage. Firewall issue? Or need to replace my stock clutch? Car has about 32,500 miles.
:shrug:

03fireredsnake

I have exactly the same problem as you..I thought it was my steeda tri-ax shifter,but last night I manually adjusted the clutch cable by pulling the stock clutch quadrant while pressing the clutch, I did it till I heard 2-3 clicks and drove the car..my cobra shifted soo smooth but then after couple of hours it went back again to getting stuck so I'm about to purchase an aftermarket quadrant and firewall cable adjuster..and hope that it will fix the problem, because its frustrating driving like this ..let me know if you find out something else..

Last edited:

2004 REDFIRE

Established Member
For whats it worth....I replaced my clutch and the parts that come with it 2 weeks ago due to tob squeaking. I also refilled the tranny with gm synchrome mesh fluid. It shifts great where as before it was a bear to get in 1st or reverse. You might just try the fluid and see if that changes your shifting. If it doesnt change it, you wont be wasting money because you will want new fluid if you decide to switch clutches. I also did the clutch myself. I had no idea what I was doing when I started but there was a video online kind of showing how to change one. Oh by the way my clutch was in great shape, but I was down there and replaced all of it.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If you have a firewall adjuster unscrew it a few of clicks and see if that fixes it. Along with what was said above about replacing the tranny fluid.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
A binding pilot bearing can cause you greif as well. Particularly going from neutral to first or reverse. I just changed mine out and all is good again.

svtrookie

Established Member
Joe, I am having the same issue plus my throw out bearing is making the most horrible noise ever! I have a fiore clutch adjuster, but I am tired of all this adjusting. I am ripping everything out next weekend and throwing in a mcleod twin disc, fidanza flywheel, ford racing tb, pilot bearing, and lethal sleeve. I hope the car will shift like butter! If you don't have a firewall adjuster I would pick one up. It might fix your problem.

-Tom

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
Hmmm so should i just go ahead and buy a new clutch? Im also going to need a fire wall adj. regardless aren't i?

svtrookie

Established Member
For labor purposes I figured I would get the whole thing done all at once. I know I will eventually need a new clutch so I figured I should just get it done. I think you will need a firewall adj regardless.

20psirabbit

Established Member
joel (formerly jmproductions, now reische performance?? i think) had a big thread i remember seeing awhile back showing a way to keep the stock quadrant adjuster from going back after you pull the pedal up a few clicks. might want to try that as well, it's free :shrug:

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
Joe, I am having the same issue plus my throw out bearing is making the most horrible noise ever! I have a fiore clutch adjuster, but I am tired of all this adjusting. I am ripping everything out next weekend and throwing in a mcleod twin disc, fidanza flywheel, ford racing tb, pilot bearing, and lethal sleeve. I hope the car will shift like butter! If you don't have a firewall adjuster I would pick one up. It might fix your problem.

-Tom

hmmm yea very good point bro. Which firewall adj. would you recommend?

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member

-Tom

dp

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Well you should be replacing the clutch anyway with ur mods,I had this issue getting it into gears and all i did first pull the clutch pedal toward u alil to make sure its all the way up, then without pulling on the pedal go under and with ur palm push up on the quad one or two clicks, this should fix it. To prevent it from coming back i cut alil off the medal were the quad hits. I have pics of this I posted. My clutch started slipping when i pushed the gas in gears thats how I knew I needed one.

jbes3

Established Member
what kind of trans. fluid do you guys recommend?

From everything I have read, GM Synchromesh what you want. I got 4 qts at the GM dealer and paid through the nose! I hear it is made by Pennzoil, but I haven't looked at a parts store. This was recommended by other folks and also Tremec.

Users who are viewing this thread