clutch life with all the basic mods

jguerrero

Established Member
Can people ring in who have all the standard mods( chip,pulley, exhaust, intake), and let me know how much life they are getting out of the stock clutch? and how long you think it will last vs. an unmodded cobra?

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I think it's more about driving habits, and less about power adders when it comes to measuring overall clutch life.

You can go out today and purposely destroy your clutch with stock power.

However if you don't ride it, and make your shifts quick and with little slippage you should be fine.

But common sense dictates that the increased load from the extra horses will eventually take its toll, and at a faster pace than a stock setup.

My 97 Cobra was designed to work with the 305 horses Ford gave me, but it held up just fine with the 100 or so extra horses Vortech gave me.......................at least for the 22,000 miles I put on it, and they were not easy ones either......

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
I have a KB and lots of boost, with 28,000 miles on her and the stock clutch is holding like a dream, and I race regularly.

jguerrero

Established Member
this sounds encouraging, I am about to go with the basic mods and was wondering if I will be having to change the clutch to compensate for the power added. well looks like its a go.

tommygun

Established Member
mine lasted 6K miles

but slipped it hard at WFC to get a good hook

stang99

Get an adjustable quadrant immediately. I just got an Extreme UPR quadrant/cable/firewall adjuster (thanks to RaceRats advice) and it is a night and day difference over the stock junk Ford plastic useless adjuster. Finally I can shift properly and the clutch stays in adjustment. This should come stock on every Cobra. My clutch, which I was convinced was shot and needed to be replaced is still barking second gear shifts at 25000+ miles. Do yourself a favor and ditch the Ford adjuster because it will save you a future clutch replacement for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

jguerrero

Established Member
How easy is it to install, and what does it run?

Tommygunn, ouch that didnt sound very good in the video!

stang99

It's a PITA to install. I had it done by a local expert speed shop since I do not relish crawling around under my dash board. The instructions are simple and you can view them at UPR's web site, but, I am elderly and I do not do well under dash boards. The parts are reasonable. Less than $120 shipped to me. But, it is almost mandatory to do this mod if you wish to maintain a good clutch in your car. My tech took out the driver's side seat and did all the underdash work on his back. The driver's side sea comes out easily since there is one electrical connection and four bolts involved. I took the seat out to install my drive shaft loop so I know this. If you are young and agile, you should be able to do the install of a quadrant yourself. And, if you do go to a Spec2 or other clutch, at least you'll have a proper adjuster already in your car so that the new clutch will have a chance to work properly.

Originally posted by jguerrero
How easy is it to install, and what does it run?

Tommygunn, ouch that didnt sound very good in the video!

Last edited by a moderator:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I have a pulley, CAI, and ghetto pipes, and I killed my first TOB in 12,000 miles, Ford replaced it, and now it's ready for another at 16,000 miles. UPR Blue Thunder shifter, quadrant, FW adjuster, and cable goes in this weekend, we shall see how much it helps. As it stands now, I might as well be "dry shifting" (shifting without a clutch) during WOT runs. At the track, I get 5-10 bad runs before I finally get the clutch dialed in so that I can make the shift. Kind of funny though qualifying for the quick 8 with 13.6, and then running 12.4's for the rest of the rounds. Freaks people out :)

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
Get an adjustable quadrant immediately. I just got an Extreme UPR quadrant/cable/firewall adjuster (thanks to RaceRats advice) and it is a night and day difference over the stock junk Ford plastic useless adjuster. Finally I can shift properly and the clutch stays in adjustment. This should come stock on every Cobra. My clutch, which I was convinced was shot and needed to be replaced is still barking second gear shifts at 25000+ miles. Do yourself a favor and ditch the Ford adjuster because it will save you a future clutch replacement for sure.

is this what you got? I think it is time for me to get this also even though my stock clutch is holding up fine...

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=181

Last edited:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
8k miles and the dealer is replacing my clutch today. New Steeda adjustable clutch quadrant, adjuster, and cable already on its way to me via mail...

jguerrero

Established Member
how are you guys getting your clutches replaced by the dealerships, is this warrenty work? From my understanding, the dealer I have been working with told me that the clutch is considered wear and tear and not covered under warrenty.

Also, are you removing all the mods before taking it in, I almost positive they wouldnt cover it if they see power adders. they would blame the clutch on the added HP and tell you to fix it yourself.

tommygun

Established Member
A clutch falls under the 12/12 factory warranty, and yes they covered mine with all the mods on it

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I had mine replaced last week. It went after a day at the races. 9k on the clock. The dealership would not cover the clutch, and it cost me $600 bucks. I will be changing racing strategy now, as I can't afford to replace the clutch every 3 months. In adition to this, I now have the vibe due to the clutch replacement. :fm:

Users who are viewing this thread