Clutch pedal did something weird today

dezracer

Clutch pedal would not come back up all the way. I would depress down to shift then lift up take my foot off but pedal would stop right before you normally have free play. Second or two later it would release with a little clunk sound to normal full up position. Car drove and shifted normal. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

MG0h3

Established Member
Possible that the fork is hanging up but the first thing to look at is your pedal assy/quadrant.

Could easily be a frayed cable too.

Are you running an aftermarket adjuster?

I found that my cable had stretched a little and it was moving around a little where it goes into the adjuster @ the firewall. Tightened it up a little and no more hang ups. I keep meaning to order a spare cable.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
There could be some resistance inside of the cable (you can fix by oiling the cable), or some galling on the TOB retainer. The stock units can become scored by the TOB moving back and forth and have been known to break. When I did my clutch, I used a nice one purchased from Lethal. Also applied a slight film of high temp grease to aid the TOB sliding. You can test it at the clutch arm. Unhook the cable and move the clutch arm back and forth. If you feel any resistance, use a flashlight to look inside the inspection port. If you're careful, you can use a long swab with a spot of of high temp lithium or high temp silicone grease (I bought a tube from NAPA) on the TOB retainer tube. Slide it back and forth to help distribute the grease. Put the grease on the back side of the TOB (between the TOB and transmission) so you don't get any on the clutch.

For oiling the cable, there are several good videos on YouTube. Some require a Cable Oiler and some don't. Check them out.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
My sons terminator did the same thing, the throw out bearing was binding on the throwout bearing input bearing sleave retainer. If they bind for too long it will break off, this is a known concern. I hope this helps.

dezracer

Was prob the throw out bearing binding on the sleeve as others have stated.

I'm not sure yet. Appreciate all the replies tho. I'll be honest... I'm not a mechanic. I remember having my mechanic putting an FRP upgraded TOB in about 10k ago. Car has 23 k now. Would the TOB have come with a new "retainer sleeve" or is that a separate part?

I'm actually thinking of a whole new clutch assembly. My clutch pedal takes a lot of effort. My left leg is bigger than right. . Right now all is original stock OEM except TOB.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I'm not sure yet. Appreciate all the replies tho. I'll be honest... I'm not a mechanic. I remember having my mechanic putting an FRP upgraded TOB in about 10k ago. Car has 23 k now. Would the TOB have come with a new "retainer sleeve" or is that a separate part?

I'm actually thinking of a whole new clutch assembly. My clutch pedal takes a lot of effort. My left leg is bigger than right. . Right now all is original stock OEM except TOB.

Oem clutch is harder to push than most...

I just did mine recently with ford oem replacement and upgraded to aluminum quadrant and heavy duty cable..

now my clutch is super easy to push and hold

Users who are viewing this thread