Clutch Problem (sick feeling)

JustinB

Established Member
I have a sick feeling that the dealer is going to screw me on this clutch issue i am having.

I bought a 2009 GT500(no performance mods) used with 10.5k on it it has a little over 12.2k on it now started slipping and grinding last week. I called the dealer where it was last serviced to see if any issues where reported, the previous owner reported the clutch was chattering but nothing was done about the issue. clutch is still chattering, has grinding shifts on 1-2 gear on WOT with full boost, now clucth slipping is more noticiable. I have driven standards all my life so its not a driver mod.
I can't really afford to pay the dealer to replace it so i am hoping they will cover it under the TSB if not what does a typical clucth install cost at a performance shop compared to a dealership?

:bash:Never buying a used performance car again... lesson learned.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
If they take it apart and the flywheel is warped per the TSB they should replace it all under the 5/50 drivetrain coverage. The warped flywheel being the cause of the clutch failure.

If the flywheel is not warped and the clutch is toast, then it may be on you.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I have a sick feeling that the dealer is going to screw me on this clutch issue i am having.

I bought a 2009 GT500(no performance mods) used with 10.5k on it it has a little over 12.2k on it now started slipping and grinding last week. I called the dealer where it was last serviced to see if any issues where reported, the previous owner reported the clutch was chattering but nothing was done about the issue. clutch is still chattering, has grinding shifts on 1-2 gear on WOT with full boost, now clucth slipping is more noticiable. I have driven standards all my life so its not a driver mod.
I can't really afford to pay the dealer to replace it so i am hoping they will cover it under the TSB if not what does a typical clucth install cost at a performance shop compared to a dealership?

:bash:Never buying a used performance car again... lesson learned.

Relax its gonna be covered under the TSB. When mine when out it went completly. Couldnt get it in gear, had to start the car with it in gear and drive home by reving higher and then shifting. That was a intersting 2 hour ride home. Thankfully mostly interstate.

I brought mine in on monday and had car back by thursday. I couldnt have been more happy with service and parts installed. You are gonna love the 2010/2011 clutch. Its gonna feel completly different. Pedal is softer, no more chatter and alot easier on take offs. :banana:

If your dealership gives you grief take it somewhere else. It fits the TSB requirements.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
The grinding gears will help you. oes it give you trouble going into reverse as well? That is what helped mine get fixed under TSB and I race mine.

jcthorne

Established Member
The TSB covers a warped flywheel causing a clutch that will not DISENGAGE. It does not cover a warn out slipping clutch. The clutch disk and pressure plate is covered under the 12/12 adjustment warranty only.

Just order a Spec or McLeod and have a reputable shop install it and get back to enjoying the car. Fighting with dealers is no fun.

I wish you luck.

barstoolman

Established Member
The TSB covers a warped flywheel causing a clutch that will not DISENGAGE. It does not cover a warn out slipping clutch. The clutch disk and pressure plate is covered under the 12/12 adjustment warranty only.

Not entirely true.............if a clutch is slipping and worn and a warped flywheel is discovered as well, they will cover this under the TSB. I know first hand. Two of my three clutches were replaced under the TSB as a result of a worn out clutch that began slipping as a result of a warped flywheel.

Chatter is not covered under the TSB but once the new 2010-2011 OEM clutch is installed, all the chatter is gone.

Good luck :beer:

JustinB

Established Member
Thanks for all the input! you guys are great. : ) I am taking it in tomm. really wet and slippery out today, not exactly great conditions for driving with a slipping clutch. i will keep you posted.

JustinB

Established Member
Just heard back from the Ford Dealer Today. Clutch and flywheel will be covered under the TSB. so no worries. Thanks again guys!

J

Users who are viewing this thread