Clutch quadrant/firewall adjustment- UPR gripe

pridemore54

Established Member
I could use a sanity check here. Just spent today install the UPR firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant. Nothing went well and it didn't fix my issue so far.

So my first and reverse don't want to go into gear easily. Goes fine when the car is off. So tell tale sign I needed the new setup.

I ordered the MM stuff but they sent me an email saying it would be back ordered a month or more, no telling when. So I ordered the UPR kit.

I hooked the cable to the first hook (closest to the firewall) on the quadrant like it says to. Problem being there's a ton of slack there. No problem right? Just unthread the firewall adjuster to take that out and get it where she needs to be. Problem is, the knob on the adjuster is fookin massive and is running into my damn valve cover. So I only have ~ half the adjustment I need to fix my issue. And go figure, I still have the same problem, if not worse now.

Second gripe for UPR is they didn't supply enough washers like MM does. There's a ton of wobble in the rear of the quadrant and they didn't provide any washers for that end so now I gotta go find some and redo some of this again.

Am I missing something here? With first/reverse not wanting to go into gear, I need to unthread it further from the firewall right? Weird thing is I don't hear any chirp from the throwout bearing like I'd expect when it's too loose.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It chirps when it’s bad otherwise it should stay quiet.

Sorry to hear about the upr stuff, thought they were supposed to be better than that.

If you grab the clutch cable by the adjuster and pull toward the front of the car how much gap do you have?

pridemore54

Established Member
It chirps when it’s bad otherwise it should stay quiet.

Sorry to hear about the upr stuff, thought they were supposed to be better than that.

If you grab the clutch cable by the adjuster and pull toward the front of the car how much gap do you
I thought it also did when it's barely touching or as it engages when it's too loose

When I grab it and pull it's already taught, no gap

MG0h3

Established Member
Only way to know what’s going on is to look into through the inspection cover.

People that have the chirp are leaving an air gap between the TOB and PP fingers. The chirp is also sparks and smoke as the stationary bearing speeds up to 800rpm.

I’d think you could adjust it all the way in and grab the highest hook, then adjust to where you need to be but never used that setup before.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

pridemore54

Established Member
Only way to know what’s going on is to look into through the inspection cover.

People that have the chirp are leaving an air gap between the TOB and PP fingers. The chirp is also sparks and smoke as the stationary bearing speeds up to 800rpm.

I’d think you could adjust it all the way in and grab the highest hook, then adjust to where you need to be but never used that setup before.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I tried putting it on the second hook, there wasn't enough room. It was too tight on the cable to get it back on the clutch fork fingers.

I had to go under and take the inspection plate off in order to detach it, attach it on the first quadrant hook, then it only took a little prying to reattach it to the clutch fork. Which is how it's "supposed to be" from what I've read and seen.

Users who are viewing this thread