Clutch recommendations?

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
Car is a 2010 currently at 681whp but should go up to low 700ish when I get longtubes on with retune. Bought car and got it legally on the road today and "got into it" a little bit for the first time trying a 60% throttle pull from low rpm in 6th gear and felt the nauseating feel of it slipping... ugh.

Car won't ever be tracked. My other 2009 GT500 has been above 60% throttle no more than 20 times in the 2 years I've owned it and 5 of those pulls were datalogging/tuning. Looking for excellent drivability- but don't want slip the rare times her legs get stretched. I'm open to any manufacturer. But below are the 2 Shelby offers. Don't know if the double disc is more than adequate? Have no issue paying another $300 for peace of mind.

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/rs100201ca326kb.htm

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/rs100203ca210ka.htm

Edit: Have seen posts about people's experiences with Centerforce, Mcleod, Exedy-- but want to see if anyone has experience with either of the ones Shelby offers?

Apologies for not being more active on the boards. Am planning to get a number of things done to each car and then post up.

Appreciate any clutch suggestions/insight offered.

Edit #2: I ordered the "Shelby" version of the triple disc from the Shelby store.

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
"got into it" a little bit for the first time trying a 60% throttle pull from low rpm in 6th gear and felt the nauseating feel of it slipping... ugh.

Not a good idea to begin with.

If you search, there are several good (and recent) threads about clutch choices.

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
Edited original post. Had read other posts, but didn't see any posts with any opinions/reviews about the 2 that Shelby offers. Does anyone have experience with either of these 2 clutches?

RBB

Established Member
Edited original post. Had read other posts, but didn't see any posts with any opinions/reviews about the 2 that Shelby offers. Does anyone have experience with either of these 2 clutches?
I've seen not one single post on those clutches in my 5 years on the forum. As with everything else Shelby sells the price is high for what you're getting. I'd go with one of the tried and true clutches that are most frequently installed around here.

I've been running a Centerforce Dyad for the last couple years and I'm pretty happy with it. None of the aftermarket options rated to hold big HP/torque are going to drive like stock. They're all harder to slip to varying degrees. Some are like an on/off switch, while others aren't quite so bad. The Dyad fits in the latter category, it's not too bad around town and making low speed maneuvers (pulling into your garage, etc) and holds 1200 ft lbs of torque according to Centerforce.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
You are welcome to test drive my Spec SS for a first hand experience before making your decision on a replacement clutch. It holds the power and street driveability is great in my opinion.

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
RBB - thanks for replying. Of the posts I've gone through, it sounds like most are pretty happy with the CF Dyad. My 09 has had a bit of chatter since the day I got it with 3k miles and is now up to 16k. But it doesn't slip. The 09 is around the same 700whp power level. Most posts I've seen the majority of people say that the Mcleods are more track oriented. The Shelby ones really seemed to stress how street friendly they are....

Bad Company

Established Member
The Shelby clutches are manufactured by ACE Racing Clutches. The only difference between the ACE and Shelby units from my understanding is one is anodized purple with the ACe logo and the other is black with the Shelby logo.

I've installed a 3 disc ACE in my car, along with a RJM large bore clutch master cylinder for faster movement of the slave/TB. To date I have only backed the car out of a garage and loaded it on a trailer with this clutch installed. Absolutely no chatter while slipping the clutch to climb up a set of trailer ramps. Super smooth engagement with ease of modulation to slip it. What I thought was very easy pedal effort with the bigger bore master cylinder, which increases pedal effort above the stock smaller bore master cylinder.

Now one or two have been installed with people having issues afterwards. One person complained about a new Mantic and having issues. I've talked to another person that has the 3 disc Shelby in his car and loves it. With these new 3 disc clutches the person installing them can cause more problems than you can shake a stick at if they bend a hub of one of the drive discs by hanging the transmission on the input shaft during installation. The air gap between the floater plates and drive discs becomes very small wit the 3 disc clutch and the smallest amount of out of true in a hub creates massive headaches and a waste of a ton of money real quick.

The Shelby twin disc would be all you required for your current Hp and torque levels

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m testing a new triple disk. I wanted to stay organic for drag racing and slip. Hoping for maiden voyage this weekend. Salt has been brutal up here.
Anyway, first thing is I wouldn’t fully judge clutch based on your 6th gear pull just yet. Next is if you rarely use the power and don’t plan to track it, stock ‘13-14 clutch may be best fit and cheapest. Mine held 750rwhp and drag use just fine.
-J

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
No matter what you hear, for your application you do NOT want a McLeod RXT. Its excellent at holding the power, no slip at all fully engaged. After a year and half dailying the car, though its a Dr Jeckl/Mr. Hyde personality. Chatters, occasionally noisy, and nothing like what McLeod advertises as "Better than stock".

No slip possible launching the 3 times ive launched at the track unless youre REALLY on your game. Even then, its not much.

Im going to look up Ace Clutches, and i have my fingers crossed that Bimini's road test of the X clutch proves to be as good as we want it to be. Lol

Last edited:

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
Thanks all. The Ace/Sheby double disc sounds like a good option. Trying to find out if there's any difference in drivability between the 2 and 3 disc? Even so, the 2 disc is more than enough for anything I'll ever do with the car.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Mantis has a good reputation but expensive.
Maiden voyage on new triple X-force clutch two big thumbs up :)
Super light pedal and absolutely no chatter or bad manners. Some noise when clutch engaged (clutch in) but it’s not bad but not OEM.
Going to be very nice for 500 miles but so far VERY happy.
-J

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
Wanted to thank everyone for the replies. I'm leaning towards an Ace 2 disc clutch. Am waiting for a call back from their sales/tech guy to insure that I get the correct one. Their website lists one part number for 07-10 and a different part number for 10-12.... Though overkill, I figured I would ask his input on the 3 disc versus the 2 disc.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
..."got into it" a little bit for the first time trying a 60% throttle pull from low rpm in 6th gear ...

That made me cringe. Good luck with the new clutch, but please don't do that anymore. Your engine will thank you for it.

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
If I'm at 2500rpms 60% throttle is no big deal. It's just rolling on the throttle. It wasn't like I was at 1500rpms and went WOT or that I revved up to 5k+ and dropped the clutch in 6th or anything else stupid.

Including this 2010 that I just bought, I have 2 cars. I don't abuse my cars in any way. My 09 has seen WOT 5 times over the past 2 years and each time was for tuning/revisions after work was done to it. I've had it 75-80% throttle around 10 times. Am sure there are plenty of people out there who have their cars WOT 15 times a month-- possibly 15 times just in 1 day's worth of driving. The 09 has a little more power than the 2010, still has the stock clutch which clamps like a champ, and has 16k miles on it where the 2010 is still at only 9k miles. There was no clamping power left in the 2010's clutch.

Appreciate the concern, but this isn't my 1st rodeo.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
With the use you describe, still not sure why you choose the big dawg offering. That triple disc if for the biggest power SS and S1000 builds.
It definitely is overkill, but I'd really consider dropping back to the dual disc.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread