Clutch recommendations?

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
With the use you describe, still not sure why you choose the big dawg offering. That triple disc if for the biggest power SS and S1000 builds.
It definitely is overkill, but I'd really consider dropping back to the dual disc.
-J

From all that I was able to find out about the Ace/Shelby dual and triple clutches... I had heard that the pedal effort between the two is identical. Have also heard/read that over/under 800hp is the cutoff point between the 2 clutches-- and it also says it on the Ace and Shelbystore websites. The car at the crank will be around that number with longtubes and the retune. I have already ordered the headers. I'm also considering swapping the 2.3L on the 2010 for the 2.9L Whipple that is on my 2009 and adding a lower- which would up the power. I'm ok with the cost difference between the 2 clutches. The triple gives room to grow and more peace of mind.

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
Spoke with Eric at Ace Racing Clutches this morning. Was told that the low 800 crank hp that I will be at is the cutoff between the 2 clutches-- upper end of the 2 disc and the lower end of the 3 disc. Was told that the beefier clutch should have great drivability at 800-850 crank hp and should last longer. UPS should be delivering the clutch (ordered through ShelbyStore) today and I may be able to get it in before the end of the week. Also doing American Racing longtubes and retune along with new stereo system all at the same time. Will post again once everything is in.

MrMustangMan

I wish I would have seen this thread 2 years ago. I have been trying to find anyone who has used ACE clutches from Shelby. How has that triple worked for you? What mileage you getting out of it? Did you have to shim it or use an aftermarket slave/TB?

Quick synopsis: I have a 2013 GT500, 717RWHP/730RWTQ. In 2015 when my stock clutch gave out, bought ACE Racing twin disk through Shelby to keep things, "Shelby". They supplied (2) 0.05" shims, both were installed, clutch lasted ~5k miles, 2017. Sent to ACE and had it rebuilt. This time only (1) shim used. Fast forward to last week, 2020, clutch is slipping again, around 15k miles this time. So far, I'm kind of disappointed. I expect it to last more than 15k miles. Although they state that the twin disk can handle 1150 ft-lb at the crank, is this not always the case? Y'all are mentioning a 800HP cutoff. The triple would have been the way to go originally?

Thanks in advance

Andrew@Lethal

Established Member
Hello Fhattcatt, I recommend going with a Mcleod RXT, it would be the last clutch you will ever buy. Our @Lethalperformance shop car has one installed and is making crazy power with the clutch taking all of it like it's nothing! Sold many units to plenty of customers and they all love them! Shoot me a message if you have any questions or would like to place an order!

PM-Performance

Established Member
I will say since installing my RXT my car has been a pleasure to drive compared to my Exedy.
I have not gotten to throw the full sauce at it yet, but i have no reason to believe it will not take everything I can give and smile back and ask for more. If not I will be pretty pissed off.

HKusp

Established Member
I too am running an RXT. I dyno'd a couple weeks ago at 656 at the wheels. It is handling it fine so far in some VERY spirited street driving and roll races. I haven't had the opportunity to track it at that HP level, but expect it to handle what I can throw at it.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hello Fhattcatt, I recommend going with a Mcleod RXT, it would be the last clutch you will ever buy. Our @Lethalperformance shop car has one installed and is making crazy power with the clutch taking all of it like it's nothing! Sold many units to plenty of customers and they all love them! Shoot me a message if you have any questions or would like to place an order!
Better choices available.
I’m putting an organic triple disc clutch from XClutch in the mid 9s over 150mph in my 4000# full street GT500 with the best manners I’ve ever had from an aftermarket clutch.
Contact XClutch direct and ask for Steve.
They come with everything you need for install, seriously everything without parts store runs.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
A4834FE2-DD78-4854-8C66-83B89DCC7F6D.jpeg

Great pic too using up some of that clutch :)
-J

Users who are viewing this thread