Clutch Slippling Really Badly

Z&DaCobra

I Eat Clutches
Established Member
Ok so about 8k miles ago, I got my clutch replaced with a dual friction king cobra clutch with a chromoly flywheel. Last night I went out racing, and did harp on the clutch. On my way home, I noticed that the clutch was slipping really bad when I pressed the pedal more than a 1/4 of the way. The clutch was fine until last night, and I wanted to know what repairs I am lookin at. I let the car sit overnight, but the same problems still persist. What should I do? I have no money right now, but I need the car to get going soon.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Possible the clutch cable got stretched out...did your clutch burn? What exactly did you do?

Digital

Established Member
Do this:
Stop on a flat even surface and put it in 1st, open your doors and turn all noise making devices off...
SLOWELY let out the clutch till you hear the engine tone change, this will happen BEFORE your rpms drop and way before our car starts to move. This is going to be very tricky to master, we're talking like a millimeter difference between engine tone and rpm drop.

If this happens almost instantly after you let the clutch out a little bit then you need to adjust it.

Next test if this one passes (you should have your clutch activating about 1/4 or 1/2 way down from all the way in) is put the car in 6th gear at around 70mph and floor it, if your rpms go sky high (like 5 or 6k) then let off the gas, if they go back down to like 3k then you just slipped your clutch and it most likely installed wrong.

Good luck.

Z&DaCobra

I Eat Clutches
Established Member
Well I went out racing and sure enough, like the dumb 18 year old I am, I constantly dumped the clutch, and just let the car go from there. As to whether I burned my clutch, I am not entirely sure although the car stunk of what could have been clutch, but others told me it was my brakes, and my tires that were making that smell. Personally, i don't feel like I burned the clutch (atleast too badly), but the problem lay with me dumping the clutch at about 3k rpms. As for the test, I performed it, and when flooring the car, it jumps in revs without added power to the wheels but when i let off the gas, it goes back down to the normal rpm. The slippage is based on throttle response entirely. I'm hoping it is just a clutch cable adjustment I need, because this clutch is relatively new.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
^+1
You either had the adjustment wrong initially or were slipping it too much on launch and not letting it cool off between runs. On organic based discs (at the track), I have a fan/ generator that cools the clutch off (for at least 30min) between runs.
Once you've glazed the surface of the clutch disc, they don't get better. Start saving for a new clutch.

Z&DaCobra

I Eat Clutches
Established Member
Fortunately it turns out that the cable is just stretched out, and the tob needs to be replaced. The disc, and the pressure plate are fine.

VincodeY

Established Member
yeah, you still have to pull the tranny out to replace the TOB. If the cable is stretched, replace it with the ford oem one. Go ahead and get a TOB retainer sleeve from lethal.

Z&DaCobra

I Eat Clutches
Established Member
I talked to my dad today about the tob, and he said unless I was shifting with the clutch pressed only halfway down, the people who installed my clutch didn't do it correctly, or did a bad job. What does everyone here think? BTW, JBA of Clairemont installed my clutch.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I talked to my dad today about the tob, and he said unless I was shifting with the clutch pressed only halfway down, the people who installed my clutch didn't do it correctly, or did a bad job. What does everyone here think? BTW, JBA of Clairemont installed my clutch.

You need to check the adjustment once in a while too, after 1000 miles or so you should make sure everything is spot on as far as adjustment goes.

You will need a fw adj and quadrant if you don't already have one

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Yes, pull the cover plate off the bell housing and make sure the ton is not riding on the p/p fingers when running, you can dial it in with your fw adj

Users who are viewing this thread