• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

cobra brake upgrade, couple questions

Discussion in 'SN-95 and New Edge Mustangs' started by paintballpyro1, Jan 5, 2014.

1. paintballpyro1

paintballpyro1 Active Member Established Member

i know this has been beat to death but was trying to confirm something. I was about to order some cobra calipers, come to find out they were gt calipers with brackets. Can you use gt calipers with cobra brackets if i can find them? just trying to upgrade my 96 brakes without breaking the bank

2. Blkkbgt

Blkkbgt Well-Known Member Established Member

No. They are different, you must use the cobra calipers with the cobra brackets.

3. paintballpyro1

figured as much, just debating on doing gt calipers now or cobras. im just worried if something happens to either the caliper or bracket with the cobras how much of a pita it will be to track a matching one down without paying an arm for it

4. Blkkbgt

I wouldn't worry about anything happening to the brackts. If something happens to a caliper rebuild kits are available.

5. Dutch5.0

Dutch5.0 New Member Established Member

I strongly recommend doing the cobra brake conversion you'll be nothing but happy. After I made the swap I wished I had done it sooner.

6. paintballpyro1

i have a bad habit of seizing slide pins for some reason. Didnt realize you could rebuild the caliper yourself.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  7. Blkkbgt

The Cobra/Mach1/Bullitt calipers don't have slider pins so you don't have to worry about them. If you have that problem in the rear make sure to pull the boots back and use some high temp grease on them.

Rebuilding the calipers is easy. Honestly it takes longer to pull them off the car then to rebuild them. A little compressed air with a chuck, a block of wood and a rebuild kit from 50resto is all you need.

8. paintballpyro1

yea i ended up just buying some cobra calipers,brackets and all. just waiting for next paycheck to buy pads and rotors

9. paintballpyro1

i was messing around just mocking stuff up while i waited for my rotors. The pin that goes through the pads and holds everything with the "c" clip. i noticed it was 2 notches, i can only use the one on the very end and even after that there is still a gap between caliper and c clip. is there suppose to be one or do i need to add a thicker washer?

10. Mystic-SVT

Mystic-SVT snuggle fest, mmmmm! Established Member

There is a washer that is needed that goes between the c clip and caliper.

11. paintballpyro1

yea i have the washer there but there is maybe little less then 1/4in between the c clip and caliper. i can slide the pin back and forth a bit.

12. Mystic-SVT

Once you have the calipers mounted on the rotor/spindle with brake pads in place that will change.

13. Mystic-SVT

The pin also doesn't fit "tight" lengthwise. It's purpose is just to keep the things in place by locking everything in place. There is some slack left between the c clip and caliper. There is only 3 components to the locking pin (pin, washer, c-clip). You're fine for now.

14. paintballpyro1

everythings mounted and bolted down. Just wanted to check as this is the first set of cobra brakes ive seen/done and didnt know if there was suppose to be that big of a gap. i fiured the c clip would butt up against the caliper so it didnt vibrate and the pin slide around

15. Blkkbgt

Nope. The gap is normal and has been on 4 sets of calipers that I either works on or installed.

16. paintballpyro1

alirght sounds good. everything ive worked on that had a c clip its normally pretty close to the part if not right against so i just wanted to make sure