Cobra chin spoiler.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
You guys may already know about this one, but I thought I would pass it along anyway. I have an 04 Cobra front bumper cover installed on my 04 regular Mustang. When it came time for the chin spoiler, the only one I could find was a Ford original and they go for $550.00 ! No way was I going to shell out that kind of money for something I will probably put into a curb sooner or later.

So, I bought a Mach I chin spoiler and my son and I modified it to fit. All it took was a few pie cuts (4 to be exact) and some mild grinding at the back edges to clear a lip on the bumper cover. Took us a few hours (flipped the bumper cover upside down on a bench to make it easier to work on.)

I don't have any pictures of the process, but we started by inserting a bolt into the very middle hole and then slowly working outward from there. The Mach I spoiler is very close to the correct shape and just needs pulled in and out at various spots to get it to fit nicely. Only tools needed were a grinder and an airsaw, but it could be done with a jig saw or hacksaw too. We used 1/4 x 20 stainless machine screws 3/4 of an inch long with self locking nuts and stainless washers on top and bottom.

If you take your time and drill new holes along the spoiler as you move away from the middle, you can get a really good fit. The finished product looks really good, and I am $550.00 richer. Now the front end looks finished, not bare.

Hope this helps someone else out.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So you made the mach 1 chin spoiler look like the cobra one? If so, you should post pictures. Otherwise, I hate the looks of a mach 1 chin spoiler on a cobra. It doesn't fit the bumper body lines at all.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
Good for you. Instead of you looking at the intent of my post as me trying to give others a way to save a few bucks on something as insignificant as a little piece of plastic, you instead chose to post your holier than thou attitude that only the original part is worthy of your car.

I've been building cars from the ground up for the past 60 years, and am on about 5 car forums....some for my drag car, some for my hot rods, and some just because I like the people on there. My sons warned me that Mustang guys on a lot of forums are asses, always out to say something negative about the other guy's car, as opposed to trying to encourage them in their project. You, sir, have reinforced that opinion.

So, I hope you and your real chin spoiler are very happy together. Sometime you need to actually build a car from the ground up, instead of dialing 1-800 and ordering all those bolt ons you have on yours. (You probably had someone else bolt them on for you too)

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good for you. Instead of you looking at the intent of my post as me trying to give others a way to save a few bucks on something as insignificant as a little piece of plastic, you instead chose to post your holier than thou attitude that only the original part is worthy of your car.

I've been building cars from the ground up for the past 60 years, and am on about 5 car forums....some for my drag car, some for my hot rods, and some just because I like the people on there. My sons warned me that Mustang guys on a lot of forums are asses, always out to say something negative about the other guy's car, as opposed to trying to encourage them in their project. You, sir, have reinforced that opinion.

So, I hope you and your real chin spoiler are very happy together. Sometime you need to actually build a car from the ground up, instead of dialing 1-800 and ordering all those bolt ons you have on yours. (You probably had someone else bolt them on for you too)

MMMMM Monday morning saltiness.

Without pictures, this thread is useless.

Also, you've been building cars from the ground up for the past 60 years? Are you 80?

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
No, just 72. Built my first 30 Ford hot rod at 11 and when I was 16 I was street racing a 32 Ford with an Olds engine.

As for the saltiness, it just pisses me off when someone tries to post something they think might benefit others, and then the "experts" come out of the woodwork and have to chime in with BS. You never see this kind of negativity on the hot rod forums , or the one I am on for my Z06 Vette. Members on those forums go out of their way to support each other and at least be civil.

A

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
No, since Photobucket got pricey, I don't have a place to host photos, so I can't put up one. I felt like taking some pictures during the work, but we were zipping along and I didn't take the time to do it.

I will take some and I need to find a new photo host site, so I will post some then. The final product may not be 100% factory looking, but I am not making this car a show car, just a nice daily driver. I couldn't see blowing $550 for a little piece of plastic that no one sees much of, so this one worked for me.

Thanks for asking though, and I will post some as soon as I can.

MG0h3

Established Member
You don't need to host them anywhere. If you have the app on your phone you can do it there or email them to your computer and just drag and drop.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
Thanks for that information. I am pretty computer illiterate, and I have a flip phone, so I will have to ask one of my sons to look at what you suggested and do it. I appreciate the tips.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

Way to act like a grown man. I simply asked some questions about what you did. It's hard to visualize without pictures. And then you get mad when someone states his opinion on a forum, nice.

And you assume I don't work on my own stuff, lol.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
No, since Photobucket got pricey, I don't have a place to host photos, so I can't put up one. I felt like taking some pictures during the work, but we were zipping along and I didn't take the time to do it.

I will take some and I need to find a new photo host site, so I will post some then. The final product may not be 100% factory looking, but I am not making this car a show car, just a nice daily driver. I couldn't see blowing $550 for a little piece of plastic that no one sees much of, so this one worked for me.

Thanks for asking though, and I will post some as soon as I can.

Just "right click", "copy", and then "paste" in to one of these text boxes. Problem solved.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
Way to act like a grown man. I simply asked some questions about what you did. It's hard to visualize without pictures. And then you get mad when someone states his opinion on a forum, nice.

And you assume I don't work on my own stuff, lol.

No you didn't, you felt the need to tell me how sh***y a Mach I spoiler looks on a Mustang. It would be like if you posted pictures of the new wheels you put on your Mustang, and I said you should consider changing them to something else. Pure and simple rudeness.

Not everyone has $550 to spend on a piece of insignificant plastic, so I thought I would pass along how easy it is to make a Mach I spoiler fit and look pretty damn respectable. If every car looked exactly the same, this would be a very boring hobby.

On the other forums I am on, someone will post pictures of some work they did and are proud of. Sometimes it is really bad work, but we keep our mouths shut and try to say something nice. Not every builder is a Chip Foose.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
No you didn't, you felt the need to tell me how sh***y a Mach I spoiler looks on a Mustang. It would be like if you posted pictures of the new wheels you put on your Mustang, and I said you should consider changing them to something else. Pure and simple rudeness.

Not everyone has $550 to spend on a piece of insignificant plastic, so I thought I would pass along how easy it is to make a Mach I spoiler fit and look pretty damn respectable. If every car looked exactly the same, this would be a very boring hobby.

On the other forums I am on, someone will post pictures of some work they did and are proud of. Sometimes it is really bad work, but we keep our mouths shut and try to say something nice. Not every builder is a Chip Foose.
Lol, I stated it looks like crap on a 03-04 cobra bumper. You just stated I said it looks bad on mustangs....

Whatever, I'll leave your thread alone now....

Users who are viewing this thread